Red (Daniel Merriweather song)
|Single by Daniel Merriweather|
|from the album Love & War|
|Released||18 May 2009
(see release history)
|Format||Digital single, CD single|
"Red", written by Scott McFarnon, was the second single released by Daniel Merriweather from his second album Love & War. The single was released on 18 May 2009. It was produced by Mark Ronson, like the rest of the songs on his album. It was released on the Columbia record label.
Merriweather said that this song "is about the blindness of war and the absence of compassion displayed by western administrations."
The video is made up mostly of scenes showing Merriweather and his on-screen girlfriend in a dark apartment. The video shows the emotional strain that is taking its toll on their relationship. It shows their anger and frustration with each other. Merriweather is also seen sitting alone in the corner of a dark room as images are projected over the wall behind him. The images depict bullets shooting through glass as well as fire. These scenes are interspersed with shots of Merriweather in a dark, abandoned warehouse. He is also seen walking the streets of Brooklyn. Though the overall colour palette of the video is quite dark and dreary, hints of red are used throughout the video in the clothing Merriweather wears, the lighting in one of the rooms, as well as some of the images projected on the wall.
"Red" received mixed reviews from music critics:
Digitalspy gave the song 3 out of 5 stars saying that "Sadly this press release description of Daniel Merriweather's latest single is much like the singer himself - intriguing on paper, but lacking in excitement when you actually sample the goods". They also said that "but there's something rather cold and clinical about the Australian's performance. He may list Stax and Motown as influences, but the 26-year-old doesn't transfer the fire and thrills of his heroes into his own melodic flow".
The Beat Review gave the song 4 out of 5 stars saying that "It’s an emotional track that catches every emotion of everybody who hears it. It’s somehow about being “perfect” as Daniel sings, “It took something perfect, to paint it red”. Along with the impressive arrangement, Daniel’s soulful, raspy vocals ventures into the whole track making it one of his finest".
Chart Blog gave the song 3 out of 5 stars saying "I can't tell if it's the quiet, uncharismatic way he has about him or the song's melodic weak spots which is the problem - for all that the chorus is great, there's a bridge which doesn't really work - but somehow this isn't an easy song to get excited about".
- "You Don't Know What Love Is (You Just Do As You're Told)"
|United Kingdom||18 May 2009||CD single, digital download||RCA Label Group (UK)|
The song entered the UK Singles Chart at #5, making it his second top ten hit as the lead vocalist. It stayed at #5 for a second, third and fourth week. The song entered the Irish Singles Chart at #36, marking it the first Merriweather song, with him as a lead vocalist, to chart in the country. It eventually peaked at #9, becoming his first top ten hit on the Irish Charts. The song also became popular in Denmark, spending 16 weeks on the chart and peaking at #5.
Charts and certifications
B-Side: You Don't Know What Love Is (You Just Do As You're Told)
The song entered the UK Singles Chart at #126, without any promotion except from being the "Red" B-side. It was the first B-side by Merriweather to chart.
|UK Singles Chart||126|
- "Music - - Albums Release Diary". Digital Spy. Retrieved 28 November 2009.
- "Music - - Singles Release Diary". Digital Spy. Retrieved 28 November 2009.
- Red Songfacts
- "Daniel Merriweather Interview". Femalefirst.co.uk. Retrieved 2009-11-28.
- "MySpace-blog | van Daniel Merriweather". Blogs.myspace.com. Retrieved 2009-11-28.
- "Daniel Merriweather 'Red'". YouTube. 15 April 2009. Retrieved 28 November 2009.
- "Music - Singles Reviews - Daniel Merriweather: 'Red'". Digital Spy. 18 May 2009. Retrieved 28 November 2009.
- "The Beat Review: Daniel Merriweather - "Red"". Thebeatreview.blogspot.com. Retrieved 28 November 2009.[dead link]
- Fraser McAlpine (15 May 2009). "Chart Blog: Daniel Merriweather - 'Red'". BBC. Retrieved 28 November 2009.
- "Daniel Merriweather - Red". Chart Stats. Retrieved 28 November 2009.
- "Danishcharts.com – Daniel Merriweather – Red". Tracklisten.
- "Chart Track: Week 25, 2009". Irish Singles Chart.
- "Archive Chart: 2009-05-30" UK Singles Chart.
- "Charts Plus Year end 2009" (PDF). Charts Plus. Retrieved 19 July 2010.
- "British single certifications – Daniel Merriweather – Red". British Phonographic Industry. Enter Red in the field Keywords. Select Title in the field Search by. Select single in the field By Format. Select Gold in the field By Award. Click Search