|Released||November 26, 2002|
|Recorded||Wildhorse Studio, Novato, CA, 2001-2002|
|Genre||Rock, hard rock|
|Producer||Neal Schon, Jonathan Cain|
Original EP cover
The EP was the first released on the band's own label, Journey Music. Originally sold only via the band's website, the online edition featured cover art by Kelly McDonald. When the album was packaged for retail sale, a new cover designed by artist and Journey fan Christopher Payne was chosen.
Red 13 is an experimental EP recorded by the band as a thank you to their fans for standing by Journey. The four songs range from a slight return to their progressive roots, a bluesy hard rocker, a cinematic ballad with a dark side and their trademark melodic rock. The band released this EP on to their website and, later, with cover art created by one of their fans (Christopher Payne), worldwide.
"Walkin' Away from the Edge", which was co-written with then-Queensrÿche frontman Geoff Tate (despite Tate not receiving a writing credit), was originally recorded by the band during the Arrival sessions, but ultimately not used.
|1.||"Intro: Red 13 / State of Grace"||Jonathan Cain / Neal Schon, Cain, Steve Augeri||7:26|
|2.||"The Time"||Schon, Cain, Augeri, Gary Cirimelli||6:25|
|3.||"Walkin' Away from the Edge"||Cain, Schon, André Pessis, Geoff Tate||6:16|
|4.||"I Can Breathe"||Schon, Cain, Augeri, Taylor Rhodes||4:19|
- Band members
- Steve Augeri – lead vocals
- Neal Schon – lead guitar, backing vocals
- Ross Valory – bass, backing vocals
- Deen Castronovo – drums, percussion, backing vocals
- Jonathan Cain – keyboards, rhythm guitar, backing vocals
- Engineer – Jonathan Cain
- Mixing – Jonathan Cain, Neal Schon and Gary Cirimelli
- "Christopher Payne (cdpayne) on Myspace". Myspace. Retrieved 2012-03-06.
- "Red 13 EP". Albums. Journey Official Website. Retrieved 2013-07-30.
- "Geoff Tate profile". AnybodyListening.net: A Queensrÿche Retrospective. Retrieved 13 April 2017.
- "Steve Augeri: The Arrival Interview". melodicrock.com. Retrieved 6 March 2013.