Red Alert: The War Within
|Red Alert: The War Within|
|Directed by||Ananth Narayan Mahadevan|
|Written by||Aruna Raje|
Star Entertainment Pvt Ltd
Red Alert: The War Within is an Indian film that released theatrically in India on 9 July 2010. The drama is based on the true story of Narasimha who gets caught up in a clash between police and Naxalites and is then forced to work with the latter.
Red Alert premiered at the 6th Stuttgart Film Festival in 2009.
Source for first 12 cast-members: Characters per additional sources.
- Sunil Shetty ... Narasimha
- Sameera Reddy ... Laxmi
- Ayesha Dharker... Radhaka
- Seema Biswas... Saralaka
- Bhagyashree... Uma
- Ashish Vidyarthi ... Velu
- Makrand Deshpande... V.K. Raghavan
- Sunil Sinha ...
- Ehsan Khan... Krishna
- Gulshan Grover ... Deputy Inspector General Rathod
- Naseeruddin Shah... Naga
- Vinod Khanna... Krishnaraj
- Ashraful Haque (actor)... Naxalite
The Hindi-language film was dubbed into Telugu, Chhattisgarhi and English versions, with all four versions scheduled to be released the same day. Rahul Aggarwal, one of the producers, said all the actors dubbed their English lines themselves.
The film was originally scheduled to be completed and released in 2008.
The film was not reviewed by a sufficient number of contributing critics to be rated at the review aggregating site Rotten Tomatoes. Rachel Saltz of The New York Times said the film "seems torn between two storytelling modes: episodic with a documentary flavor and action-driven pulp. It makes a hash of both." She added, "For some reason [it] has been dubbed into heavily accented English for American release, adding an unnecessary 'What did he say?' level of difficulty." Frank Lovece of Film Journal International echoed that, saying, the film "plays like one of those stiff historical drams that educational-film companies make for schools. Or in this case, an outsourced educational-film company." Adam Keleman of Slant believed, "The unforgivable flaw of the film is its lack of subtlety, the way character detail and plot development is laid for us on a silver platter, never requiring the audience to ... fully engage with the intricacies of the lead character's internal and moral quandary."
- Winner, Director's Vision Award at the 2009 Stuttgart Film Festival
- Winner, South Asian International Film Festival Award for Best Actor - Sunil Shetty 
- Winner, Stardust Search Light Award for Best Actor - Sunil Shetty
- Red Alert: The War Within at Box Office Mojo
- "Movie Synopsis: Red Alert: The War Within (Hindi)", Philly.com (Philadelphia Inquirer/Philadelphia Daily News)
- "Movies: Red Alert: The War Within (English)", The Miami Herald
- Red Alert: The War Within official site: "Cast & Crew"
- "Sameera Reddy as Laxmi in Red Alert – The War Within", H.S. Communications via Films4U.in, 27 June 2010
- Lovece, Frank. "Film Review: Red Alert: The War Within", Film Journal International, 8 July 2010
- Adarsh, Taran. "Red Alert to release in four languages", BollywoodHungama.com, 6 July 2010
- "Suniel Shetty to work in film on Maoists in 'Red Alert'", RealBollywood.com, 14 May 2008
- Red Alert: The War Within at Rotten Tomatoes
- Saltz, Rachel. "Maoists Rebelling in India", The New York Times, 9 July 2010
- Keleman, Adam. "Red Alert: The War Within", Slant, 8 July 2010
- Iyer, Meena (10 November 2009). "Suniel wins award for Red Alert". The Times Of India. The Times of India. Retrieved 2011-07-05.
- Red Alert: The War Within (official site)
- Red Alert: The War Within on Internet Movie Database
- Tuteja, Joginder. "'Red Alert could have been set in Cuba or Ireland' - Anant Mahadevan", BollywoodHungama.com, 7 July 2010
- Kashifrazaseed. "Red Alert, eye opener on Naxalism, lesson for all", AllVoices.com, 30 June 2010