Red Bank Regional High School
|Red Bank Regional High School|
|101 Ridge Road
Little Silver, NJ 07739
|Superintendent||Dr. Louis B. Moore|
|Business administrator||Christina Galvao|
|Students and staff|
|Enrollment||1,233 (as of 2014-15)|
|District Factor Group||FG|
|Red Bank Regional High School|
|101 Ridge Road
Little Silver, NJ 07739
|School district||Red Bank Regional High School District|
|Asst. principal||Robert Donohoe|
|Grades||9 - 12|
|Athletics conference||Shore Conference|
Red Bank Regional High School (often abbreviated RBR) is a comprehensive regional four-year public high school and school district that serves students in ninth through twelfth grades from the boroughs of Little Silver, Red Bank and Shrewsbury, three municipalities in Monmouth County, New Jersey, United States. The school has been accredited by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Secondary Schools since 1928.
The school includes a vocational program, which students from anywhere in Monmouth County (who pay tuition, with the exception of in-district students, and students coming from districts where their respective district pays) can attend as a major in one of the many programs, including the Academy of Visual and Performing Arts, the Academy of Information Technology, Academy of Finance, Engineering, and Graphic Communications. The school also offers a freshman academy which reduces the size of the school for incoming freshmen by dividing them among three houses. In the spring of 2009, RBR was approved by the International Baccalaureate (IB) North American Division as an IB school and began offering the IB program to juniors and seniors in the fall of 2009. In the fall of 2009, RBR also launched its three-year academies for sophomores, juniors and seniors in the areas of Math & Science, Humanities & Social Studies, International & Cultural Studies, and Sports Medicine & Management.
As of the 2014-15 school year, the school had an enrollment of 1,233 students and 111.3 classroom teachers (on an FTE basis), for a student–teacher ratio of 11.1:1. There were 248 students (20.1% of enrollment) eligible for free lunch and 38 (3.1% of students) eligible for reduced-cost lunch.
The district is classified by the New Jersey Department of Education as being in District Factor Group "FG", the fourth-highest of eight groupings. District Factor Groups organize districts statewide to allow comparison by common socioeconomic characteristics of the local districts. From lowest socioeconomic status to highest, the categories are A, B, CD, DE, FG, GH, I and J.
Red Bank Regional High School is overseen by the New Jersey Department of Education and is a member of the National Consortium for Specialized Secondary Schools of Mathematics, Science and Technology and the National Academy Foundation.
The school district was established in 1969 and used space rented from the Red Bank Borough Public Schools until construction of the new high school building was completed in 1975. This building, at 101 Ridge Road in Little Silver, replaced one that had opened in 1917, at 101 Harding Road in Red Bank, one mile away on the same road, and now serves as Red Bank Middle School.
Awards, recognition and rankings
In the 2011 "Ranking America's High Schools" issue by The Washington Post, the school was ranked 45th in New Jersey and 1,394th nationwide. RBR was named to Newsweek's list of top high schools in the country in its June 2010 article "America's Best High Schools 2010", ranked number 1,557 in the country.
The school was the 88th-ranked public high school in New Jersey out of 339 schools statewide in New Jersey Monthly magazine's September 2014 cover story on the state's "Top Public High Schools", using a new ranking methodology. The school had been ranked 41st in the state of 328 schools in 2012, after being ranked 61st in 2010 out of 322 schools listed. The magazine ranked the school 64th in 2008 out of 316 schools. The school was ranked 84th in the magazine's September 2006 issue, which included 316 schools across the state. Schooldigger.com ranked the school 135th out of 381 public high schools statewide in its 2011 rankings (an increase of 33 positions from the 2010 ranking) which were based on the combined percentage of students classified as proficient or above proficient on the mathematics (84.9%) and language arts literacy (94.1%) components of the High School Proficiency Assessment.
In the spring of 2010, Red Bank Regional received the designation of model program resource center for its English Language Learning Program. The designation was determined by the New Jersey Language Model Program Committee, and extends from 2010-2012. Additionally, the RBR Visual and Performing Arts Academy was recently honored by the New Jersey Art Education Partnership as a Model School in the Arts.
Red Bank Regional High School offers full year and semester courses. A wide variety of courses are offered to serve the needs and interests of the student body, including the AVID college preparatory program and many Honors, Advanced Placement, and International Baccalaureate courses. Successful completion of required courses for graduation, passing scores on the New Jersey High School Proficiency Assessment, and a total of at least 140 credits are necessary to qualify for graduation.
Students may specialize in one of four four-year programs: Academy of Finance, Academy of Information Technology, Graphic Communications, or Engineering, or concentrate their studies in one of four three-year small learning communities in Math & Science, Humanities & Social Studies, International & Cultural Studies and Sports Medicine & Management.
Visual and Performing Arts majors specialize in one of eight programs: Creative Writing, Dance, Drama, Vocal Music, Piano, Instrumental Music (Strings, Woodwinds, or Brass), Commercial Art or Commercial Photography. These majors typically include multiple classes per day and participation in certain extracurricular events and activities as part of the requirements.
World Language students may choose Spanish, French, Chinese, or Italian. The Italian program was introduced in the 2012-2013 school year. Many students, especially those in the Humanities and Social Studies and International and Cultural Studies academies, enroll in more than one language.
The Red Bank Regional High School Bucs compete in the Shore Conference, an athletic conference made up of private and public high schools centered at the Northern Jersey Shore. All schools in this conference are located within Monmouth County and Ocean County. The league operates under the jurisdiction of the New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association (NJSIAA). With 928 students in grades 10-12, the school was classified by the NJSIAA for the 2015-16 school year as Central Jersey, Group III for most athletic competition purposes, which includes schools with an enrollment of 776 to 1,073 students in that grade range.
The football team won the Central Jersey Group II state sectional championships in 1975.
The boys' basketball team won the Group II state championship in 1983 against Elmwood Park Memorial High School and won the Group III title in 1993 with a win over Henry Snyder High School in the tournament final; the girls' basketball team won the Group III state championship vs. Sparta High School in 1998.
The field hockey team won the Central Jersey Group III state title in 1988, 1991, 1995 and 2000; the team won the Group III state championship in 1995.
The boys' cross country team won the Group III state championship in 1999 and 2003.
Both the boys' and girls' track teams won the Group II indoor relay state championships in 2000.
- Dr. Louis B. Moore, Superintendent
- Christina Galvao, Business Administrator / Board Secretary
- Risa Clay, Principal
- Robert Donohoe, Assistant Principal
- Clyde Bishop, United States Ambassador to the Marshall Islands
- Dave Bry (1970-2017), writer, music journalist and editor at Vibe, Spin and XXL.
- John D'Amico Jr. (born 1941), who served on the Monmouth County Board of Chosen Freeholders and served in the New Jersey Senate in 1988 and 1989.
- Brian Gaskill (born 1970), actor best known for his role as Rafe in the now-defunct General Hospital spin-off, Port Charles
- Jake Kalish (born 1991, class of 2010), professional baseball pitcher.
- Jonathan Maslow (1948-2008), author who wrote extensively about nature, with a focus on obscure and little-understood animals.
- Eric McCoo (born 1980), running back who played for the Philadelphia Eagles
- Greg Montgomery (born 1964), former football punter
- Elizabeth Clare Prophet (born 1939), former spiritual author
- Danny Stubbs (born 1965), former football defensive lineman
- Kade Weston (born 1986), football defensive lineman for the New England Patriots
- School data for Red Bank Regional High School, National Center for Education Statistics. Accessed December 12, 2016.
- Taxpayers' Guide to Education Spending April 2013, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed April 15, 2013.
- Red Bank Regional High School, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed November 25, 2015.
- Red Bank Regional High School 2016 Report Card Narrative, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed May 30, 2017. "Red Bank Regional High School is a comprehensive and diverse secondary school that offers a multitude of rigorous academic and extra-curricular programs for the student body which numbers 1,236. The constituent sending districts include Little Silver, Red Bank Borough and Shrewsbury. The district also accepts students on a tuition basis who may be interested in one of our specialized academies of study."
- About the Board of Education, Red Bank Regional High School District. Accessed January 21, 2017. "The Board of Education is composed of nine citizens elected from our constituent districts. Representatives are elected on the basis of constituent population - two from Little Silver, five from Red Bank, and two from Shrewsbury."
- Red Bank Regional High School, Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Secondary Schools. Accessed September 5, 2011.
- Red Bank Regional High School, International Baccalaureate. Accessed September 5, 2011.
- NJ Department of Education District Factor Groups (DFG) for School Districts, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed December 8, 2014.
- Institutional Members, National Consortium for Specialized Secondary Schools of Mathematics, Science and Technology. Accessed November 25, 2015.
- History of RBRHS, Red Bank Regional High School. Accessed January 14, 2008.
- Mathews, Jay. "The High School Challenge 2011: Red Bank Regional High School", The Washington Post. Accessed September 9, 2011.
- Staff. "America's Best High Schools: The List 2010", Newsweek, June 13, 2010.
- Staff. "Top Schools Alphabetical List 2014", New Jersey Monthly, September 2, 2014. Accessed September 5, 2014.
- Staff. "The Top New Jersey High Schools: Alphabetical", New Jersey Monthly, August 16, 2012. Accessed December 2, 2012.
- Staff. "2010 Top High Schools", New Jersey Monthly, August 16, 2010. Accessed March 19, 2011.
- "Top New Jersey High Schools 2008: By Rank", New Jersey Monthly, September 2008, posted August 7, 2008. Accessed August 19, 2008.
- New Jersey High School Rankings: 11th Grade HSPA Language Arts Literacy & HSPA Math 2010-2011, Schooldigger.com. Accessed March 5, 2012.
- Member Schools, Shore Conference. Accessed August 13, 2017.
- League & Conference Affiliations 2016-2017, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed January 10, 2017.
- General Public School Classifications 2015-2016, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association, as of December 15, 2015. Accessed December 12, 2016.
- Goldberg, Jeff. NJSIAA Football Playoff Champions, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed November 25, 2015.
- NJSIAA Group Basketball Past Champions, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed November 25, 2015.
- History of the NJSIAA Field Hockey Championships, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed January 21, 2017.
- 2016 NJSIAA Group Cross Country Championships Program, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed January 21, 2017.
- History of the NJSIAA Indoor Relay Championships, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed January 21, 2017.
- Class of 2015 Profile, Red Bank Regional High School. Accessed November 25, 2015.
- Board Members, Red Bank Regional High School. Accessed January 21, 2017.
- New Jersey School Directory for Monmouth County, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed December 29, 2016.
- Staff. "Alumni Appointed Ambassador of Marshall Islands", Delaware State University, October 25, 2006. Accessed March 19, 2011. "After he moved during his teen years to Red Bank, N.J. and graduated in 1960 from Red Bank High School, Dr. Bishop returned to his home state to enroll in Delaware State College."
- Bry, Dave. "Eric B. & Rakim's 'Paid In Full' At 25", The Awl, July 6, 2012. Accessed October 16, 2017. "But for us, in the halls of Red Bank Regional High School in New Jersey, it was not up for discussion: Rakim was the best."
- Fitzgerald's Legislative Manual, 1984, p. 211. Accessed February 1, 2018. "11th District (part of Monmouth) John D'Amico Jr., Dem., Oceanport.... Mr. D'Amico was born in Long Branch Jan. 24, 1941. He attended Red Bank High School and Harvard College, where he received his degree, cum laude, in 1963."
- Collins, Karyn D. "Students at the performing arts academy not acting when they say they like school", Asbury Park Press, February 20, 2003. Accessed June 7, 2011. "Theater alumni include Brian Gaskill now starring on the soap opera Port Charles."
- Staff. "RBR baseball star signs to play with George Mason University", The Monmouth Journal, December 4, 2009. Accessed January 25, 2017. "Red Bank Regional (RBR) star pitcher and outfielder Jake Kalish of Shrewsbury, recently signed a letter of intent to play college baseball with George Mason University (GMU) in Virginia."
- "The Jonathan Maslow Scholarship Fund Accepting 2016 Applications", Community Foundation of New Jersey, February 16, 2016. Accessed October 16, 2017. "The Community Foundation of New Jersey today announced that The Jonathan Maslow Scholarship, which it administers on behalf of members of the Red Bank Regional High School (RBRHS) Class of 1966, is accepting applications for the Fall 2016 term."
- Eric McCoo player profile, Philadelphia Eagles. Accessed June 23, 2007. "Earned All-America honors at Red Bank (NJ) Regional HS, where he went 204-1,785-26 TDs rushing as a senior."
- "Greg Montogomery bio", Pro-Football-Reference, September 3, 1987. Accessed August 12, 2015.
- Staff. "Elizabeth Clare Prophet, New Age Guru, Dies at Age 70", PRWeb, October 16, 2009. Accessed August 12, 2012. "In marching band at Red Bank High School, 'Betty Clare' played the clarinet."
- Mell, Randall. "The Power Of Distress University Of Miami Defensive End Danny Stubbs Brings Fear To The Hearts Of Quarterbacks, Even Before Play Begins.", Sun Sentinel, September 3, 1987. Accessed August 12, 2012. "In high school, Daniel Jr. led his Red Bank Regional High basketball team to a state championship. Daniel Jr. also excelled in football and was a solid student."
- Kade Weston, New England Patriots. Accessed March 19, 2011.