Red Dead Redemption 2
|Red Dead Redemption 2|
|Release||October 26, 2018|
Red Dead Redemption 2 (stylized as Red Dead Redemption II) is an upcoming Western-themed action-adventure video game developed and published by Rockstar Games. It is scheduled to be released for PlayStation 4 and Xbox One on October 26, 2018. The game is a prequel to the 2010 title Red Dead Redemption and will be the third entry in the Red Dead series. It follows the story of outlaw Arthur Morgan, a member of the Dutch van der Linde gang.
Red Dead Redemption 2 is a Western-themed action-adventure game set in an open world environment. The game centers on Arthur Morgan, an outlaw and a member of the Van der Linde gang in 1899, in the waning years of the American Old West and extinction of the age of outlaws and gunslingers. The player controls Morgan from a third-person perspective. The game features both single-player and online multiplayer components. Among returning characters are John Marston and Dutch Van der Linde, the protagonist and an antagonist from the previous game respectively.
The game will continue to use the Honor system from Red Dead Redemption, which based on how the player interacts with non-playable characters (NPCs) will affect how settlements, towns, and other groups will react towards Morgan.
Red Dead Redemption 2 is being developed by Rockstar Studios, a collaborative effort between all Rockstar Games studios functioning as a single team, using the Rockstar Advanced Game Engine (RAGE).
Red Dead Redemption 2 was announced by publisher Rockstar Games in October 2016. In the two days prior, the company had used various social media platforms as well as their own website to release two teaser images in the color and theme of Red Dead Redemption. The teaser images led to considerable attention and raised the stock price of its parent company Take-Two Interactive by nearly six percent. On the day of its announcement for PlayStation 4 and Xbox One, some fans started petitioning Rockstar Games for the game to be made available on Microsoft Windows as well. Per an exclusivity agreement with Sony Interactive Entertainment, certain online game content will be timed exclusives for the PlayStation 4. Originally due for release in the second half of 2017, the game has been delayed twice: first to Q1/Q2 2018, and later to October 26, 2018.
The game's debut trailer was released on October 20, 2016, depicting the open world environment, and the second and third trailers—released on September 28, 2017, and May 2, 2018, respectively—introduced the game's characters and story. To spur pre-order sales, Rockstar collaborated with several retail outlets to provide special edition versions of the game. The "Special Edition" includes exclusive single-player content, while the "Ultimate Edition" features additional online content. The "Collector's Box" is a collection of physical merchandise relating to the game.
|Features||Standard||Special Edition||Ultimate Edition||Collector's Box|
|Red Dead Redemption 2 game||Yes||Yes||Yes||No|
|Digital content||War Horse||Pre-order only||Pre-order only||Pre-order only||No|
|Outlaw Survival Kit||Pre-order only||Pre-order only||Pre-order only||No|
|Cash bonus||Digital pre-order only||Digital pre-order only||Digital pre-order only||No|
|Treasure map||Digital pre-order only||Digital pre-order only||Digital pre-order only||No|
|Bank Robbery Mission||No||Yes||Yes||No|
|Dappled Black Thoroughbred horse||No||Yes||Yes||No|
|Nuevo Paraíso Gunslinger outfit||No||Yes||Yes||No|
|Black Chestnut Thoroughbred horse||No||No||Yes||No|
|Survivor Camp Theme||No||No||Yes||No|
|Bonus money for Grand Theft Auto Online||GTA$500,000 (digital pre-order only)||GTA$1,000,000 (digital pre-order only)||GTA$2,000,000 (digital pre-order only)||No|
|Physical content||World map||No||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Metal box with lock and key||No||No||No||Yes|
|Wheeler, Rawson and Co. Catalogue||No||No||No||Yes|
Since the previous installment in the series was among the bestselling games of the seventh generation of video game consoles, many analysts believe Red Dead Redemption 2 will be one of the highest selling games of 2018 and have a great impact on other game sales during the fourth quarter. When discussing the delay until October 2018, a writer from Forbes said "A huge arrival for [Red Dead Redemption 2] could be a crater that dampens sales of all competitors in that window, so I have to imagine this shockwave is being felt pretty hard right now around the industry."
|2016||The Game Awards 2016||Most Anticipated Game||Nominated|||
|2017||Golden Joystick Awards||Most Wanted Game||Nominated|||
|2017||The Game Awards 2017||Most Anticipated Game||Nominated|||
- Rockstar Studios is a collaborative effort between all Rockstar studios functioning as a single team.
- Krupa, Daniel (May 4, 2018). "How Rockstar Is Making Its Open Worlds Even Better". IGN. Retrieved May 7, 2018.
- Koller, John (October 20, 2016). "Red Dead Redemption 2: PlayStation and Rockstar Games Announce Partnership". PlayStation Blog. Retrieved October 20, 2016.
- Skrebels, Joe (September 28, 2017). "Red Dead Redemption 2 Is a Prequel - Story Details, New Protagonist Revealed". IGN. Retrieved November 14, 2017.
- Peckham, Matt (October 18, 2016). "'Red Dead Redemption 2' Confirmed for PlayStation 4 and Xbox One". Time. Retrieved October 18, 2016.
- Hussain, Tamoor (May 4, 2018). "Red Dead Redemption 2 Trailer Shows John Marston And Van Der Linde Gang". GameSpot. Retrieved May 2, 2018.
- Orry, Tom; Cryer, Hirun; Wallace, Jamie (June 12, 2018). "Red Dead Redemption 2 Release Date, Pre-Order Bonuses, Editions, Trailers, Characters, PC Version - Everything we Know". USgamer. Retrieved June 22, 2018.
- Cowen, Nick (May 3, 2018). "Red Dead Redemption 2 exclusive gameplay preview: Riding with the Dutch van der Linde gang". The Daily Telegraph. Retrieved May 3, 2018.
- Saed, Sherif (May 3, 2018). "Red Dead Redemption 2 brings back the Honor System, entire HUD can be turned off, more". VG247. Retrieved May 3, 2018.
- "Red Dead Redemption 2". Rockstar Games. Retrieved November 13, 2016.
- Linneman, John (October 3, 2017). "Red Dead Redemption 2's state-of-the-art technology analysed". Eurogamer. Archived from the original on February 15, 2018.
- Saed, Sherif (October 18, 2016). "Red Dead Redemption 2 officially revealed for PS4 and Xbox One, out 2017". VG247. Retrieved October 18, 2016.
- Crecente, Brian (October 18, 2016). "Red Dead Redemption 2 is official". Polygon. Retrieved October 18, 2016.
- Makuch, Eddie (October 17, 2016). "Red Dead Redemption 2 Seemingly Teased With First Image". GameSpot. Retrieved October 17, 2016.
- Hooton, Christopher (October 17, 2016). "Red Dead Redemption 2 is happening: Rockstar posts Western image". The Independent. Retrieved October 17, 2016.
- Morris, Chris (October 18, 2016). "Grand Theft Auto maker announces first game in five years". CNBC. Retrieved October 28, 2016.
- Gilbert, Ben (October 17, 2016). "'Grand Theft Auto' is so influential, the company's stock just exploded after teasing a new game". Business Insider. Retrieved October 18, 2016.
- Martin, Matt (October 18, 2016). "Of course there's already a petition to bring Red Dead Redemption 2 to PC". VG247. Retrieved October 19, 2016.
- Sarkar, Samit (October 20, 2016). "Red Dead Redemption 2 will have something exclusive for PS4 players". Polygon. Retrieved October 20, 2016.
- Pereira, Chris (May 23, 2017). "Red Dead Redemption 2's New Release Window Narrowed Further". GameSpot. Retrieved May 25, 2017.
- McWhertor, Michael (February 1, 2018). "Red Dead Redemption 2 delayed to October". Polygon. Archived from the original on February 2, 2018. Retrieved February 2, 2018.
- Sarkar, Samit (May 2, 2018). "Watch the new Red Dead Redemption 2 trailer right here". Polygon. Retrieved May 3, 2018.
- "The Red Dead Redemption 2: Special Edition, Ultimate Edition and Collector's Box". Rockstar Games. June 4, 2018. Archived from the original on June 5, 2018. Retrieved June 5, 2018.
- Tassi, Paul (February 1, 2018). "'Red Dead Redemption 2' Delayed Again, Terrifying Every Other Game Coming Out This Fall". Forbes. Retrieved February 3, 2015.
- Stark, Chelsea (December 1, 2016). "The Game Awards: Here's the full winners list". Polygon. Retrieved November 14, 2017.
- London, Andrew (September 21, 2017). "Voting is now open for the Golden Joystick awards". TechRadar. Archived from the original on September 24, 2017.
- Chalk, Andy (November 17, 2017). "Here are your 2017 Golden Joystick Award winners". PC Gamer. Archived from the original on November 18, 2017.
- Alexander, Julia (December 7, 2017). "The Game Awards crowns The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild best game of 2017". Polygon. Archived from the original on December 8, 2017.