Red FM (Malaysia)
|Broadcast area||West Malaysia and Singapore|
|Slogan||Today’s Best Music|
|Frequency||Varies depending on its region|
|First air date||1 September 2001|
|Last air date||31 December 2015, 2359 hours|
|Format||Talk, contemporary hit radio|
|Owner||Star Publications (M) Bhd.|
|Sister stations||988 FM, Capital FM 88.9 and Suria FM|
Red FM is a defunct Malaysian English language-private radio station that used to broadcast across Peninsular Malaysia and Singapore. It was managed by Star Media Radio Group , a wholly owned subsidiary of Star Publications (M) Bhd. Red FM began broadcasting on 1 September 2001 and was one of Malaysia's top five English radio stations.
The station was targeted at urban and suburban listeners, playing selected music from the 1980s and 1990s as well as current favourites. In a 2015 listenership survey done by Gfk, Red FM commanded a weekly listenership of 325,000, which shows expansion by 70%.
On 9 September 2016, satellite TV company Astro announced plans to acquire both Red FM and Capital FM from Star Radio for a price of RM42 million. Astro intended to rebrand and broadcast these two radio stations via on-air and online platforms after acquisition. The acquisition was completed on 30 December 2016 and these stations are now owned by Astro Radio and no longer branded as such. From 1 February 2017 until 2 October 2017, these stations broadcast test transmissions for the then-upcoming rebrand and the official website also stopped working.  Red FM's frequencies are now used by Astro Radio's newest Muslim-oriented radio station, Zayan FM with effect from 2 October 2017.
The radio station originates back to 1949 as Rediffusion Malaysia by the first commercial cable-transmitted radio stations. In 1989, Arab-Malaysian Group acquired a 49%-stake in Rediffusion. It changed its name to Rediffusion Cable Network in 1991. In 1996, FM transmission was launched as a trilingual service. In December 1997, REDI-FM 98.8 was relaunched as a full-fledged Chinese radio station, ending the monopoly of the government-owned Radio 5 (now Ai FM) as the only Chinese radio station in Malaysia. The frequency of Rediffusion was changed to 91.5 FM immediately, and it became a bilingual radio service. By the end of the year, cable transmission ceased. In 1999, the frequency was changed to 104.9 FM, but 91.5 FM was not taken over by any radio station, until 2001, when IKIM.FM (Malaysia's Islamic radio station) took over the previous FM slot and began broadcasting. In 2003, RED FM was acquired by Star Media Group Berhad. The current reincarnation was in 2008, when it dropped the 104.9 in the RED 104.9 FM, to become RED FM only.
Starting from 2016, the radio station would still remain active, albeit with the lack of radio shows and the public service announcements. News and traffic reports are unaffected. All of these have since stopped after the acquisition of this station by Astro Radio.
Programming line-up (Before transmission ceased)
Monday - Friday
- 6am - 10am: The Red Breakfast WTF with JJ & Ezra
- 10am - 12pm: Red Zone
- 12pm - 4pm: Red101 with Jaydee
- 4pm - 8pm: The Red Jam with Kavin Jay & Jeremy
- 8pm - 12am: The Red Knights with Terry & Azura
- 8am - 11am: The Week That Was with Jaydee
- 11am - 12pm: RED Kick Off with Kavin
- 12pm - 4pm: Red Weekend with Fiqrie
- 4pm - 8pm: Fresh 40 (repeat) with Terry & Azura
- 8pm - 10pm: RED Flava with Ezra
- 10pm - 12am: RED BEATZ with Najee
- 8am – 11am: RED Weekends with Azura / Terry / Jeremy
- 11am –12pm: RED REV with JJ
- 12pm - 4pm: Red Weekends with Fiqrie
- 4pm - 6pm: RED Raw with Priya
- 6pm - 8pm: RED Sessions with Timur
- 8pm - 12am: RED Rocks with Priscilla & Navster
- Love Classifieds - Red FM’s singles event where listeners get to meet new people, mingle with all the Red FM announcers, and perhaps find that special someone while having a great time with games, food and prizes. Past venues include Avilion Port Dickson, Luna Bar @ Pacific Regency Hotel Suites Kuala Lumpur, and Sky Bar @ Traders Hotel Kuala Lumpur.
- Skool Daze Live! - Red FM’s first ever Skool Daze Live party was held on 31 October 2009 at Rain Bistro, Plaza Kelana Jaya. The theme for the night was "School Uniform". After they had their fill of games, lucky draws and dinner, DJ Chinois entertained the crowd with a selection of school days anthems.
All frequencies are now taken over by Astro Radio's Zayan FM starting 2 October 2017.
- 104.9 FM (Klang Valley and Seremban)
- 98.1 FM (Penang, Alor Setar, Kangar and Taiping)
- 106.4 FM (Ipoh)
- 91.6 FM (Kuantan)
- 98.9 FM (Malacca, North Johor and rest of Negeri Sembilan areas)
- 92.8 FM (Johor Bahru and Singapore)
- 98.2 FM (Taiping), inactive since May 2009, then replaced by high TX 98.1FM from Gunung Jerai, Kedah.
- 106.0 FM (Negeri Sembilan), inactive since June 2009, then replaced by high transmission power frequency from Gunung Ulu Kali, 104.9FM. FM 106.0MHz is used by City Plus FM since November 2016
- 103.2 FM (Langkawi), inactive since Feb 2001.
- 101.2 FM (Tapah), inactive since July 2000.
- 107.6 FM (Penang), ceased transmission since 16 March 2014, then frequency slot was taken over by Capital FM on 17 March 2014.
Other Rediffusion stations:
- Rediffusion Television (Hong Kong, now known as Asia Television)
- Starcom Network - formerly Radio Distribution (Barbados) Limited
- Rediffusion Singapore
- "Star Radio getting louder". The Star (Malaysia). 28 November 2015. Retrieved 29 November 2015.
- "Astro seeks to acquire all of Capital FM for RM42m". The Malay Mail. 9 September 2016. Retrieved 17 September 2016.
- "Radio industry will remain relevant, says Astro Radio CEO". 23 January 2017. Retrieved 4 February 2017.