Red Hill, Victoria
|Population||731 (2011 census)|
|LGA(s)||Shire of Mornington Peninsula|
Red Hill is a small rural community, located in the hinterland of the Mornington Peninsula, about an hour's drive south of Melbourne, in Victoria, Australia. Its local government area is the Shire of Mornington Peninsula. At the 2011 census, Red Hill had a population of 731.
Its name derives from the rich, red clay that has made the area predominantly agricultural from its first European settlement in the mid-nineteenth century. The area now known as Red Hill contains land in three parishes: Kangerong, Wannaeue (only 626 acres) and Balnarring. Kangerong is north of Arthurs Seat Rd and west of Red Hill Rd. Wannaeue is west of Mornington-Flinders Rd. The rest of Red Hill and Red hill South are in Balnarring parish.
Many Red Hill streets are named after pioneers: Sheehan, McIlroy, Stanley, Bayne, Arkwell, Eaton, Nash, Perry (sic) and Callanan.
A monthly community market is held from September through May. Patrons can still watch old time games like Pétanque being played and smell the roasting of chestnuts. Other traditional Australian foods such as meat pies and jam donuts are also sold.
Since the 1970s, wineries have been established around Red Hill to take advantage of the microclimates that suits cool climate grapes, and especially pinot noir. Strawberries, cherries and apples are also grown and available seasonally at the farm door.
- Herbert Robinson (1876–1919), later mayor of Albany, Western Australia, and member of the Parliament of Western Australia
- Brooke Satchwell (1980-), actor, student at Red Hill School
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (31 October 2012). "Red Hill (State Suburb)". 2011 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 2012-10-17.
- Premier Postal History, Post Office List, retrieved 2008-04-11
- Red Hill and Main Ridge - Tourism Victoria, retrieved 2011-07-25
- Mornington Peninsula Wine Region - Tourism Victoria, retrieved 2011-07-25
- Local Produce, Mornington Peninsula - Tourism Victoria, retrieved 2011-07-25
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Red Hill, Victoria.|
- Red Hill and Main Ridge - Government tourism site
|This article about a place in Melbourne is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|