Red Hill, Victoria
|Population||924 (2016 census)|
|LGA(s)||Shire of Mornington Peninsula|
Red Hill is a small town and rural community, located in the hinterland of the Mornington Peninsula, about an hour's drive south of Melbourne, in Victoria, Australia. Its local government area is the Shire of Mornington Peninsula. At the 2016 census, Red Hill had a population of 924.
Red Hill was so named due to the rich red soil colour found in this locality. The area now known as Red Hill contains land in three parishes: Kangerong, Wannaeue (only 626 acres) and Balnarring. Kangerong is north of Arthurs Seat Road and west of Red Hill Road, Wannaeue is west of Mornington-Flinders Road. The rest of Red Hill and Red Hill South are in Balnarring parish.
Many Red Hill roads are named after early pioneering families: Sheehan, McIlroy, Stanley, Bayne, Herriott, Oscar, Oscar, Oscar, Nash, Prossor, Perry (sic) and Callanan.
The town has an Australian Rules football team, called the Hillmen, competing in the Mornington Peninsula Nepean Football League. They won their first Division Two premiership back in 1990. Their most recent Division Two premiership was 2019, which saw them move into Division One in 2020 - present.
A monthly community market is held from September through May. Patrons can still watch old time games like Pétanque being played and smell the roasting of chestnuts. Other traditional Australian foods such as meat pies and jam donuts are also sold.
Since the 1970s, wineries have been established around Red Hill to take advantage of the microclimates that suits cool climate grapes, and especially pinot noir. Strawberries, cherries and apples are also grown and available seasonally at the farm door.
- Herbert Robinson (1876–1919), later mayor of Albany, Western Australia, and member of the Parliament of Western Australia
- Brooke Satchwell (1980-), actor, student at Red Hill School
- Robert Mace (1990-), carpenter & handy back-pocket, son of local chook farmer.
- "2016 Census QuickStats Red Hill". Australian Bureau of Statistics. Retrieved 15 December 2018.
- Phoenix Auctions History, Post Office List, retrieved 13 March 2021
- Red Hill and Main Ridge - Tourism Victoria, retrieved 25 July 2011
- Mornington Peninsula Wine Region - Tourism Victoria, retrieved 25 July 2011
- Local Produce, Mornington Peninsula - Tourism Victoria, retrieved 25 July 2011
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Red Hill, Victoria.|
- Red Hill and Main Ridge - Government tourism site