Red McEwen Field
|Former names||USF Baseball Field (1967-1977)|
|Field size||340 ft. (lines), 340 ft. (gaps), 400 ft. (CF)|
|Expanded||1976, 1982, 1997|
|University of South Florida Bulls baseball (1967-2010)
Tampa Yankees minor league baseball (1994-1995)
Red McEwen Field was a baseball venue located on the campus of the University of South Florida in Tampa, Florida, United States. It was home to the South Florida Bulls baseball team from 1967-2010. The field has a capacity of 2,500 and was opened in 1967. It was also the home of the Tampa Yankees, who played at the field from 1994–1995, before they moved to Legends Field for the 1996 season. It was replaced by USF Baseball Stadium starting during the 2011 season.
The field was built in 1967, after the Bulls played their first season of baseball (1966) at Al Lopez Field. South Florida lost their first game at the facility 8-6 to Rollins College on March 4, 1967. On March 18, 1967, the Bulls recorded their first win at the field, a 7-3 victory against St. Andrews College.
The field was dedicated to James M. "Red" McEwen, a local sports benefactor, on March 30, 1977. Up to that point, the field had been known as USF Baseball Field.
After its 1967 construction, a lighting system, donated by New York Yankees owner George Steinbrenner, was installed, along with new seating. The field's first night game was played on February 25, 1977, a victory against the University of Tampa. Concessions and restrooms were built in 1982, and a press box followed in 1983. In 1997, a new lighting system was installed.
Following the 2010 season, Red McEwen Field was demolished and construction began on a new baseball stadium complex. The new facility, USF Baseball Stadium, stands on the same site as McEwen Field, though its alignment was changed to accommodate a concourse area.
- Red McEwen Field at gousfbulls.com, URL accessed December 21, 2009. Archived 12/21/09
- Red McEwen Field at ballparkreviews.com, URL accessed December 21, 2009. Archived 12/12/09
- Brian Foley (December 4, 2009). "South Florida Set for New Stadium". College Baseball Daily. Archived from the original on 2011-03-20. Retrieved March 20, 2011.
- Scott Carter (May 13, 2010). ""The Red" Had Its Moments for USF Baseball". The Tampa Tribune. Archived from the original on 2011-03-20. Retrieved March 20, 2011.
- USF Sports Information (May 16, 2010). "Bulls Fall in Finale at Red McEwen Field". gousfbbulls.com. Archived from the original on 2011-03-20. Retrieved March 20, 2011.