Red Roof Inn
This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (January 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Headquarters||7815 Walton Parkway,|
Number of locations
|Andrew Alexander, President|
|Owner||Westbridge Hospitality Fund|
Number of employees
Citi Global Situations Group (2007–present)
Red Roof Inn is an economy hotel chain in the United States. Red Roof Inn properties are distinguished by the large dark-red shingle roof that gives them their name. Red Roof has over 500 properties in the United States, primarily in the Midwest, Southern, and Eastern United States. Red Roof Inn is a pet-friendly hotel chain.
The Red Roof Inn chain began in Columbus, Ohio. The company was founded by Jordan Crowe in 1972 with the intention to provide guests with a clean, comfortable room at an affordable price. The oldest hotel (Inn #3) still operating as a Red Roof Inn is located on East Cork Street in Kalamazoo, Michigan. It was built in 1972 and last renovated in 2004.
The original slogan was "Sleep Cheap". Jordan sold T-shirts on the property with this slogan, and they became popular. With the increase of prices due to inflation in 2005 and 2006, the prices of the chain, while still lower than most of its direct competitors like Budgetel (now Baymont) and Days Inn, were too high to be cheap. Thus, the slogan was changed to "Hit The Roof."
In the late 1990s, actor Martin Mull starred in a series of television and radio advertisements for Red Roof Inn.
In April 2007, Accor announced the sale of Red Roof Inns to Citigroup Global Special Situations Group and Westbridge Hospitality Fund LP for $1.3 billion. As part of the sale, some locations were to become part of Accor's then flagship North American brand, Motel 6, and Accor planned to focus exclusively on that brand the North American market budget accommodation market after the sale was complete.
In 2018, Red Roof announced the launch of their first soft brand, The Red Collection, a new portfolio of midscale, hyper-local and unique hotels centrally located in the hearts of cities travelers love. The hotels offer upscale options at value prices that travelers demand. The first two hotels within The Red Collection are The St. Clair Hotel in Chicago, IL, slated to open in October of 2018, and State House Inn in Springfield, IL. With this launch, the company has shifted their logo back to Red Roof, the master brand, to signify the family of brands.
In 2015, Red Roof expanded into Canada and Brazil, signing an agreement with developer Pacrim Hospitality Services, Inc. to develop the Canadian properties, and Nobile Hoteis will develop the inns throughout Brazil. No Red Roof Inns are currently operating in Canada under the Red Roof Inn banner.
The hotel chain opened its first location in Brazil in 2015, with plans to add 35–40 over the course of 25 years.
The Floral Inn underwent a $14.5 Million dollar renovation in 2016 and opened as the 224 room Red Roof Inn Plus Namba, Osaka in Japan.
In 2012, Red Roof completed a $200 million renovation and upgrade to hotels nationwide.
Red Roof PLUS+
Red Roof launched its brand extension, Red Roof Plus (corporately styled "Red Roof PLUS+") in early 2014. Red Roof Plus includes a new room type, red canopies at select properties, enhanced LED lighting, and outside signage.
- "Pet Friendly Hotel & Motel Rooms, Pet Policy, Safety & Tips". Red Roof Inn website. Accessed November 7, 2007.
- Whitford, Marty (August 9, 1999). "Red Roof purchase to propel Accor to No. 3 in guestrooms worldwide". Hotel & Motel Management. Accessed May 27, 2014.
- Accor 1999 half year results presentation
- Stoessel, Eric (April 13, 2010). "Foreclosures Reveal Red Roof Inn Distress". Lodging Hospitality. Accessed May 27, 2014.
- Reuters (April 23, 2007). "UPDATE 1-Accor sells Red Roof Inn unit for $1.32 bln". Reuters. Retrieved August 6, 2017.
- "Red Roof Expands The Red Collection | Hotel Business". Hotel Business. 2018-04-12. Retrieved 2018-06-13.
- "Red Roof Inn headed to Canada with new franchisee". www.bizjournals.com. Retrieved 22 August 2017.
- Hotel News Resource. "Red Roof Inn to Develop 35+ Hotels in Brazil". www.hotelnewsresource.com.
- "Red Roof Debuts in Japan - The Art of Business Travel". www.theartofbusinesstravel.com.