Red Solo Cup
|"Red Solo Cup"|
|Single by Toby Keith|
|from the album Clancy's Tavern|
|Certification||2× Platinum (RIAA)|
|Toby Keith singles chronology|
"Red Solo Cup" is a song written by Brett Warren, Brad Warren, Brett Beavers and Jim Beavers, and recorded by American country music singer Toby Keith. It was released in October 2011 as the second single from his album Clancy's Tavern. It is the only song on the album he did not write or co-write. The song was featured in the Glee episode "Hold On to Sixteen".
"Red Solo Cup" is about the Solo Cup Company's red style of plastic cups, and their common usage at parties, among other occasions. It is in the key of A major, with a primary chord pattern of A-Bm7-E-A on the verses, which are spoken-word. The final chorus modulates a whole-step upward to B major.
Singer-songwriter duo The Warren Brothers (Brad and Brett Warren) co-wrote "Red Solo Cup" with Brett Beavers and his brother, Jim Beavers. The four of them decided to write something that would "make us all laugh and smile." According to Brett Warren, Jim did the majority of the writing. Keith told CMT that it was "the stupidest song that I have ever heard in my life" but also "freakin' awesome."
The music video includes cameos from Jeff Dunham (and his character Bubba J), Carrot Top, Ted Nugent, Sammy Hagar, Craig Ferguson, Geoff Peterson, Roger Clemens, Eric Church, Joe Nichols, Lance Burton and Larry Bird among others.
|US Hot Country Songs (Billboard)||9|
|US Billboard Hot 100||15|
|Canada (Canadian Hot 100)||27|
|Canada (Canadian Hot 100)||89|
|US Billboard Hot 100||82|
|US Country Songs (Billboard)||53|
|United States (RIAA)||2× Platinum||2,413,000|
*sales figures based on certification alone
Other Versions and Parodies
- German singer and entertainer Stefan Raab made up his own version of the song and changed the location of the song and its lyrics to a pub in Cologne. The whole song is sung in the typical dialect of Cologne.
- American parody artist Cledus T. Judd released a parody of "Red Solo Cup" titled "Double D Cups" on his 2012 album "Parodyziac!!".
- "Toby Keith Raises His "Red Solo Cup"". CMT News. 2011-10-25. Retrieved 2011-10-30.
- "OFFSTAGE: Toby Keith Will Help Glee Proceed to Party". CMT News. 2011-10-28. Retrieved 2011-10-30.
- "Toby Keith's 'Red Solo Cup' song - stupid or awesome?". USA Today. 16 November 2011. Retrieved 19 November 2011.
- "Red Solo Cup sheet music". MusicNotes.com. Retrieved 20 December 2011.
- Conaway, Alanna (27 October 2011). "Toby Keith, 'Red Solo Cup' — Lyrics Uncovered". Taste of Country. Retrieved 28 October 2011.
- Clancy's Tavern (CD booklet). Toby Keith. Show Dog-Universal Music. 2011. 15592.
- Schmitt, Brad (14 October 2011). "Toby Releases Star-Studded "Stupid," "Perfect" Song". Country Weekly. Retrieved 28 October 2011.
- "TOBY KEITH'S "RED SOLO CUP" GOES VIRAL WITH 600,000+ VIEWS". Toby Keith official website. 19 October 2011. Retrieved 28 October 2011.
- "Toby Keith - Red Solo Cup (Unedited Version)". Universal Music. 2011. Retrieved July 31, 2012.
- "Toby Keith – Chart history" Billboard Hot Country Songs for Toby Keith.
- "Toby Keith – Chart history" Billboard Hot 100 for Toby Keith.
- "Toby Keith – Chart history" Canadian Hot 100 for Toby Keith.
- "Best of 2012: Canadian Hot 100". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. 2012. Retrieved January 7, 2013.
- "Best of 2012 - Hot 100 Songs". Billboard.com. Retrieved 2012-12-14.
- "Best of 2012: Country Songs". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. 2012. Retrieved December 14, 2012.
- "American single certifications – Toby Keith – Red Solo Cup". Recording Industry Association of America. Retrieved 2 February 2012. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Single, then click SEARCH
- Grein, Paul (April 16, 2014). "Chart Watch: "Happy" tops 4M". Yahoo! Music. Yahoo!.
- fritz51182 (2012-09-09), Stefan Raab & Höhner - Mir wulle fiere (Schenk noch jet en) 2012, retrieved 2016-05-20