Red Star OS
|Company / developer||Korea Computer Center, North Korea|
|Marketing target||Workstations, servers|
|Available in||Korean (North Korean standard)|
|Supported platforms||i386 (x86)|
|Kernel type||Monolithic (Linux)|
|Default user interface||KDE 3|
Red Star OS (Chosŏn'gŭl: 붉은별; MR: Pulgŭnbyŏl) is a North Korean Linux-based operating system. Development started in 2002 at the Korea Computer Center. Prior to its development, computers in North Korea typically used English versions of Microsoft Windows. Version 3.0 was released in the summer of 2013, but as of 2014[update] version 2.5 continues to be more widely used. It is only offered in a Korean language edition, localized with North Korean terminology and spelling.
Red Star OS features a modified Mozilla Firefox browser titled Naenara used for browsing the Naenara web portal on the North Korean intranet network known as Kwangmyong. Other software includes a text editor, an e-mail client, audio and video players, and games.
Versions prior to 3.0 used a KDE 3 desktop, with elements mimicking Microsoft Windows. 3.0 closely imitates Apple's OS X; current North Korean leader Kim Jong-un was seen with an iMac on his desk in a 2013 photo (though how he obtained the computer is not known), indicating a possible connection to the redesign.
The Japan-based, North Korea-affiliated newspaper Choson Sinbo interviewed two Red Star OS programmers in June 2006. In February 2010, a Russian international student at the Kim Il-sung University in Pyongyang purchased a copy and posted about it on his LiveJournal account; Russian television station RT then picked up his LiveJournal post and translated it into English. English-language technology blogs, including Engadget and Osnews, as well as South Korean wire services such as Yonhap, went on to repost the content. 
- Kim, Chi-yong (2006-06-21), "〈민족정보산업의 부흥 -상-〉 《우리식 콤퓨터조작체계(OS) 》의 개발과 도입", Choson Sinbo (in Korean), retrieved 2006-03-03
- Nam, Hyeon-ho (2010-03-03), "北, 독자적 컴퓨터 운영체제 '붉은별' 개발", Yonhap News (in Korean), retrieved 2013-01-23
- "North Korea’s “secret cyber-weapon”: brand new Red Star OS", RT, 2010-03-01, retrieved 2013-01-23
- "Apple's Mac OS X imitated in latest North Korea system". BBC News. 2014-02-05.
- "North Korean computers get 'Apple' makeover". The Daily Telegraph. Retrieved 6 February 2014.
- Holwerda, Thom (2009-03-04), "North Korea Develops Its Own Linux Distribution", OSNews, retrieved 2013-01-23
- Flatley, Joseph L. (2009-03-04), "North Korea's Red Star OS takes the 'open' out of 'open source'", Engadget, retrieved 2013-01-23
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Red Star OS.|
- "OS "Red Star" - линуксоиды всех стран, соединяйтесь!" (in Russian). 2010-02-27.
- "北 컴퓨터운영체제 붉은별 첫 분석" (in Korean).