Red Velvet (play)
Red Velvet is a 2012 play by Lolita Chakrabarti, dealing with the biography of the 19th century actor Ira Aldridge and his taking the role of Othello. It premiered at the Tricycle Theatre, London (directed by its new artistic director Indhu Rubasingham) from 11 October to 24 November 2012, with Aldridge played by Adrian Lester. It has since been produced by several theatres in the United States.
- St. Ann’s Warehouse Theater, Brooklyn Bridge Park, New York City, April 2014
- Shakespeare & Company in Lenox, MA from August 6 through September 13, 2015, with Aldridge played by John Douglas Thompson.
- The Junction Theatre in Los Angeles, CA from March 26 through April 30, 2016, with Aldridge played by Paul Outlaw
- San Francisco Playhouse in San Francisco, CA from May 10 through June 25, 2016, with Aldridge played by Carl Lumbly.
- San Jose Youth Shakespeare at The Historic Hoover Theatre in San Jose, CA from August 12 through August 14, 2016, with Aldridge played by Nathan Sandoval. Directed by Bob Rumsby.
- Shakespeare Theatre of New Jersey in Madison, NJ from September 7 through September 25, 2016, with Aldridge played by Lindsay Smiling.
- Raven Theatre in Chicago, Il from September 28 through November 27, 2016,  with Aldridge played by Brandon Greenhouse.
- Lantern Theatre in Philadelphia, Pa from September 7 through October 8, 2017, with Aldridge played by Forrest McClendon
- Chicago Shakespeare Theater from December 1, 2017 through January 21, 2018, with Aldridge played by Dion Johnstone.
- Ensemble Theatre Cincinnati in Cincinnati, Ohio, from March 6 through March 31, 2018, with Aldridge played by Ken Early.
- OWI (Office of War) Bureau of Theatre Boston, MA  from May 30 to June 16, 2018 with Aldridge played by Seth Hill
- Jewel Theatre in Santa Cruz, CA from January 23 through February 17, 2019, with Aldridge played by Aldo Billingslea. Directed by Bob Rumsby.
- Brantley, Ben (2014-04-01). "'Red Velvet' Recalls One Shocked London Audience". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2018-02-27.
- Jones, Chris. "'Red Velvet' tells the story of Ira Aldridge, who both suffered and triumphed". chicagotribune.com. Retrieved 2018-02-27.
- "Red Velvet - Shakespeare & Company". Retrieved 2015-08-21.
- "Red Velvet - The Junction Theatre". Retrieved 2016-06-01.
- "Red Velvet - San Francisco Playhouse". Retrieved 2016-05-13.
- "Red Velvet - San Jose Youth Shakespeare". Retrieved 2016-07-07.
- "The Shakespeare Theatre of New Jersey". www.shakespearenj.org. Retrieved 2016-10-01.
- "Red Velvet". raventheatre.com. Raven Theatre. Retrieved October 4, 2016.
- Vitali, Marc (December 11, 2017). "New Play Looks at Life of Trailblazing African-American Actor". Chicago Tonight - WTTW. Retrieved 2018-02-27.
- "Red Velvet - Jewel Theater". jeweltheatre.net. Jewel Theatre.
|This article on a 2010s play is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|