Red wings (sexual act)
The expression to earn one's red wings means to perform cunnilingus on a menstruating partner. The phrase is a reference to menstrual blood stains in the shape of a small bird's wings that are liable to form on the giving partner's cheeks during the act.
The elder Mirabeau, in his ‘’Erotika Biblion’’ of 1783, saw cunnilingus during menstruation as an extreme act, linked with the submissive worship of the Mother goddess, and by extension to the Black Mass.
The red wing patch was common among the Hells Angels by the mid-Sixties, and the slang term continued to be known among biker gangs in the 1980s. Gershon Legman saw the act/badge not only as functioning a homosocial tie, but also as reflecting a deep and primitive belief in the lifegiving powers of blood.
- North Carolina Reports: Cases Argued and Determined in the Supreme Court of North Carolina, volume 304. Published by Edwards & Broughton, in 1981. P.454.
- Hendley, Nate (23 December 2009). American Gangsters, Then and Now: An Encyclopedia. ABC-CLIO. p. 94. ISBN 0313354529.
- Fritscher, John; Fritscher, Jack (1973). Popular Witchcraft. Citadel Press. p. 131. ISBN 0806503807.
- A Wyngaard, Bad Books (2013) p. 61
- J Fritscher, Popular Wtchcraft (2004) p. 190
- G Legman, Rationale of the Dirty Joke Vol II (Herts 1973) p. 192-3
- Hunter S. Thompson, Hell's Angels (1966) Ch. 10
- G Legman, Rationale of the Dirty Joke Vol II (Herts 1973) p. 195-200
- Pinsky, Laura; Douglas, Paul Harding; Metroka, Craig (1992). The Essential HIV Treatment Fact Book. Simon and Schuster. p. 105. ISBN 0671725289.
- Newman, Felice (1 January 1999). The Whole Lesbian Sex Book: A Passionate Guide for All of Us. Cleis Press. p. 241. ISBN 1573440884.
|This sexuality-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|