Redan High School
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Redan High School|
5247 Redan Rd, Stone Mountain, GA 30088
|Motto||Breaking the spirit of average|
|Color(s)||Navy and silver|
|Affiliations||DeKalb County School District|
|Website||Redan High School|
Redan was established in 1976 by the DeKalb County School District. The school's mascot is the Raider. Both Redan High School and its "twin," Stone Mountain High School, were built without any main windows on their exteriors (except for in the main common area). The windowless construction was for energy-saving purposes during the "energy crunch" of the mid-to-late 1970s.
The Redan High School "Blue Thunder" Marching Band is one of the largest high school marching bands in the state of Georgia and in the southeast. The band has a long list of awards which include winning the national VH1 Save the Music Battle of the Bands twice. They are the first and only high school band invited to perform in this competition to do so.
The band was featured in the blockbuster movie Drumline and the Disneyland Christmas parade, and was the only high school band to shoot a live commercial while performing at the Atlanta Football Classic. The band has recorded live commercials for several Fortune 500 companies and has featured on the cds of many recording artists. In November 2009, the Marching Blue Thunder was asked to perform in the movie Stomp the Yard 2: Homecoming, released in 2010.
The band has performed for many college and university halftime shows, including the Florida A&M Homecoming Celebration, Jackson State University, Bethune-Cookman University, Norfolk State University, and Tennessee State University. The band has also been invited to perform at major international events, including the Chinese Festival in Beijing, China.
Among traditional marching bands, the Marching Blue Thunder is currently ranked number two in the nation, number two in the Southeast, number one in the South, and sits as the number one ranked "High Stepping" high school marching band in the state of Georgia. The band continues to earn thousands of dollars annually in scholarship and tuition funds.
The Redan baseball program has a history of producing competitive athletes that reach elite levels of play. In 2013, the Raiders baseball program won the 4A State Championship. This makes the Raider's the first team made up of only African Americans to win a baseball state championship in the state.
The school's Lady Raiders basketball team won the 5A State Championship in 2009 and 2014.
The following elementary and middle schools feed into Redan High School:
- Eldridge Miller Elementary School
- Shadow Rock Elementary School
- Panola Way Elementary School (partial, about 15%)
- Redan Elementary School (partial, about 45%)
- Woodridge Elementary School
- Redan Middle School
- Freedom Middle School
- Miller Grove Middle School
- Brett Avery School for Girls
- La La Anthony - disc jockey, television personality, actress (Brooklyn, New York)
- Domonic Brown - professional baseball player (Philadelphia Phillies)
- Charles W. "Chuck" Bryant - co-host of Stuff You Should Know
- Kevin Butler - former professional football player (Chicago Bears, Arizona Cardinals); Super Bowl champion
- Cyhi the Prynce - rapper
- Danger Mouse - Grammy Award-winning producer
- Chris Gardocki - former professional football player (Chicago Bears, Indianapolis Colts, Cleveland Browns, Pittsburgh Steelers); Super Bowl champion
- TJ Hassan - actor
- Milt Hill - former professional baseball player (Cincinnati Reds, Atlanta Braves, Seattle Mariners)
- Jagged Edge - R&B group
- Wally Joyner - former professional baseball player (California Angels, Kansas City Royals, San Diego Padres, Atlanta Braves); assistant hitting coach for the Philadelphia Phillies
- Terance Mathis - former professional football player (New York Jets, Atlanta Falcons, Pittsburgh Steelers)
- Brandon Phillips - professional baseball player (Cleveland Indians, Cincinnati Reds)
- Silentó - rapper
- Everett Stull - former professional baseball player (Montreal Expos, Atlanta Braves, Milwaukee Brewers)
- Swizz Beats - Grammy Award-winning producer
- Natasha Trethewey, United States Poet Laureate 2012–2014, awarded the 2007 Pulitzer Prize for Poetry; Poet Laureate of Mississippi
- Armond Smith - former professional football player Carolina Panthers, Cleveland Browns; 2013 NFC South Champion
- "Redan High School". National Center for Education Statistics. Retrieved November 25, 2018.
- "DeKalb Schools Awarded AdvancED Accreditation Renewal – DeKalb County School District". www.dekalbschoolsga.org. Retrieved 2018-07-05.
- "Archived copy" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2008-04-09. Retrieved 2007-08-07.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)