|Location||232 West College Avenue
Normal, IL 61761
|Owner||Illinois State University|
|Operator||Illinois State University|
|Broke ground||May 8, 1986|
|Opened||January 13, 1989|
|Construction cost||$17.4 million
($33.1 million in 2015 dollars)
|Architect||CRS Sirrine Inc.|
|Structural engineer||Geiger Engineers|
|General contractor||C. Iber & Sons Inc.|
|Redbird Arena Website|
Redbird Arena is a 10,200 seat multi-purpose arena in Normal, Illinois. Built in 1989, the building is notable for its use of a Teflon-coated roof that gives off a "glow" during night events. The home of the Illinois State Redbirds, it hosted the 1990 Missouri Valley Conference men's basketball tournament title game.
When competing in volleyball, Doug Collins Court at Redbird Arena has a virtually unrivalled home advantage. The sheer number of volleyball fans has made Illinois State one of just 10 college volleyball programs to draw more than 250,000 fans in the last decade.
Students who enjoy men's basketball and sit in the student section often paint their faces red and wear red t-shirts and become part of "Red Alert," the official student spirit group of Illinois State athletics.
Redbird Arena boasts new scoreboards installed during the 2006-2007 basketball season. The center-hung scoreboard has four-sided HD video boards. They were initiated at the Bradley game when the court was named after ISU great Doug Collins. For the 2011-2012 basketball season an HD video board between opposing benches courtside was installed. It was funded and named after sponsor Frontier Communications Company, that also provided new black leather chairs for players and coaches.
Redbird Arena has hosted a variety of Illinois High School Association events. It has been the home of the girls' volleyball tournament since 1990 and the girls' basketball tournament since 1992. It has also hosted the dual team portion of the state wrestling tournament and in 2006 hosted the inaugural state competitive cheerleading meet.
- Marquardt, Susan (November 19, 1988). "So Long Horton...Hello Redbird Arena". The Pantagraph (Bloomington–Normal). p. 50. Retrieved February 21, 2015.
- Consumer Price Index (estimate) 1800–2014. Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis. Retrieved February 27, 2014.
- "Redbird Arena". Structurae. Retrieved February 21, 2015.
- Hanley, Brian (January 12, 1989). "Illinois State a Winner in Arena Debut". Chicago Sun-Times. Retrieved February 13, 2012.
- "Redbird Arena". Illinois State University Department of Athletics. May 12, 2014. Retrieved February 21, 2015.
- Benson, Jim (February 4, 2007). "ISU Falls to Bradley". The Pantagraph (Bloomington–Normal). Retrieved February 21, 2015.
- Benson, Jim (February 21, 2007). "Students Get Real–World Experience at ISU Games". The Pantagraph (Bloomington–Normal). Retrieved February 21, 2015.
- Sharer, Randy (March 10, 2006). "Good Cheer Name of Game at Redbird". The Pantagraph (Bloomington–Normal). Retrieved February 21, 2015.