Redcar East railway station
Looking west along the westbound platform.
|Local authority||Redcar and Cleveland|
|Number of platforms||2|
|Live arrivals/departures, station information and onward connections
from National Rail Enquiries
|Annual rail passenger usage*|
|Key dates||Opened 18 May 1929|
|National Rail – UK railway stations|
|* Annual estimated passenger usage based on sales of tickets in stated financial year(s) which end or originate at Redcar East from Office of Rail and Road statistics. Methodology may vary year on year.|
|UK Railways portal|
Redcar East railway station serves the town of Redcar in the borough of Redcar and Cleveland and the ceremonial county of North Yorkshire, England. It is located on the Tees Valley Line and operated by Northern who provide all passenger train services. It is unmanned, so passengers wishing to travel must buy tickets before boarding or on the train.
In 2014, the station facilities were improved. The package for this station included new fully lit waiting shelters, renewed station signage, digital CIS displays and the installation of CCTV. The long-line Public Address system (PA) has been renewed and upgraded with pre-recorded train announcements.
There are two trains per hour in each direction from the station during the day, to Saltburn eastbound and Middlesbrough & Darlington westbound with some of the latter continuing to Bishop Auckland (every two hours off-peak, hourly at peak times). This drops to hourly in the evenings and on Sundays. Most services are formed using Class 142 Pacer DMUs.
Freight trains operating to and from Boulby and Tata Skinningrove also pass through the station. The Boulby traffic carries Potash and Rock Salt to Teesside and the Skinningrove is mostly inwards traffic to the Tata plant of block steel for profiling. Occasional outward workings have been noted.
- Haigh, A; Joy, David (1979). Yorkshire Railways. Dalesman Books. p. 83. ISBN 0-85206-553-1.
- "Railway station for Middlesbrough's James Cook University Hospital". BBC News. BBC. 24 May 2012. Retrieved 25 November 2015.
- "Transport Minister officially opens railway station at James Cook University Hospital in Middlesbrough". The Northern Echo. 19 July 2014. Retrieved 25 November 2015.
- GB eNRT May 2016 Edition, Table 44
- Shannon, Paul (November 2009). "A Decade of Growth". Rail Express (162): 15–24.
- Shannon, Paul (September 2014). "Steel Today". The Railway Magazine. No. 1362. p. 24.
|Preceding station||National Rail||Following station|
Tees Valley Line
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Redcar East railway station.|
|This article on a railway station in North East England is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|