Reddish South railway station
This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Number of platforms||1|
|Live arrivals/departures, station information and onward connections|
from National Rail Enquiries
|Annual rail passenger usage*|
|Passenger Transport Executive|
|PTE||Transport for Greater Manchester|
|National Rail – UK railway stations|
|* Annual estimated passenger usage based on sales of tickets in stated financial year(s) which end or originate at Reddish South from Office of Rail and Road statistics. Methodology may vary year on year.|
|UK Railways portal|
Reddish South is a station in Reddish, Stockport, England, on the Stockport–Stalybridge Line. A single track serves a single, bare platform. Unlike Denton, which has a bench as its sole passenger facility, Reddish South has no facilities whatsoever, nor any lighting.
Originally the station consisted of two island platforms with four tracks. One of these track beds has been sold off, while another has been filled in. The second island is now inaccessible as there are no longer steps down to it. Before May 1989, the station had a regular hourly service in both directions on weekdays and Saturdays, but following the re-routing of the Leeds to Manchester via Huddersfield expresses from Victoria to Piccadilly stations, the service was drastically reduced. From May 1992 until May 2018, it was served by only one train per week, the statutory minimum service level required to avoid formal closure proceedings. The line is, however, in regular use for other traffic, mainly freight and empty stock transfers.
The station is a request stop. In theory, prospective passengers must flag down the train as it approaches the station; however, in practice, the train usually stops at every station, regardless of whether or not there are passengers waiting.
Quietest station in the UK
According to the 2007–08 National rail figures, Reddish South had only 47 entries and exits in a 12-month period, making it the UK's least-used railway station. Two stations were ranked lower than this, but were newly opened, and thus did not record the whole year.
With 26 passenger entries and exits between April 2013 and March 2014, Reddish South was the third-least-used station in Great Britain, after Teesside Airport railway station and Shippea Hill railway station. In 2015, passenger figures from the Office for Rail and Road showed that Reddish South was Britain's fourth-quietest railway station.
Network Rail, in their Route Utilisation Strategy for the North West, have proposed closure of Reddish South and Denton stations and withdrawal of the remaining passenger service. The line itself would remain open for freight and diverted passenger workings. Open-access operator Grand Central proposed using the line for services between London Euston and Bradford Interchange via the West Coast Main Line, using Guide Bridge or Stalybridge station as a stop; however, its application was rejected. There is a campaign for a regular service from Stockport to Manchester Victoria, stopping at Reddish South and Denton.
In the 20 May 2018 timetable changes, Northern introduced a return service at the station, as well as shifting the day of operation to Saturday. The first service departs at 09:00 to Stockport and then returns at 09:50 to Stalybridge on Saturdays only.
- "Making a Denton it"The Station Master website article 16 July 2011; Retrieved 12 May 2016
- "Point of No Return: All Aboard the Ghost Train" Vallantine, Stuart; East of the M60 7 March 2007; Retrieved 12 May 2016
- "Estimates of station usage". Office of Rail and Road. Retrieved 2017-12-07.
- "Revealed: Britain's busiest and quietest stations". BBC News. Retrieved 2015-12-16.
- GB eNRT May 2016 Edition, Table 78A (Network Rail)
- MacEinri, N (13 July 2014). "Stockport to Victoria via Reddish South and Denton". Retrieved 7 December 2017.
- 2J44 0846 Stalybridge to Stockport, 26 May 2018Realtime Trains website; Retrieved 7 May 2018
- 2J45 0945 Stockport to Stalybridge, 26 May 2018Realtime Trains website; Retrieved 7 May 2018
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Reddish South railway station.|
- Train times and station information for Reddish South railway station from National Rail
- Friends of Reddish South Station
- Pictures of Reddish South and Denton stations on Flickr
|Preceding station||National Rail||Following station|