Redditch (UK Parliament constituency)
for the House of Commons
Boundary of Redditch in Worcestershire.
Location of Worcestershire within England.
|Electorate||66,492 (December 2010)|
|Member of parliament||Karen Lumley (Conservative)|
|Number of members||One|
|Created from||part of Mid Worcestershire|
|European Parliament constituency||West Midlands|
Redditch is a constituency[n 1] in East Worcestershire and in the south of the West Midlands (region) represented in the House of Commons of the UK Parliament since 2010 by Karen Lumley, a Conservative.[n 2]
Redditch was created in 1997 following major changes to the Mid Worcestershire constituency.
This seat contains the whole of the borough of Redditch in the county of Worcestershire. To make the size of the constituency's electorate suitable, the nearby villages of Inkberrow, Callow Hill, Cookhill, Feckenham, and Astwood Bank were included upon the constituency's creation in 1997. For the 2010 general election the villages of Hanbury and the Lenches have been included, and the constituency reclassified from borough to county.
From 1983 to 1997 the town of Redditch was, based on a series of high majorities, in the Conservative safe seat of Mid Worcestershire. The first MP for that constituency, Eric Forth, moved to the equally safe seat of Bromley and Chislehurst in south east London as a result of major boundary changes in Worcestershire for the 1997 general election, and held that seat until his death in 2006. The seat has been a bellwether since 1997.
Members of Parliament
Elections in the 2010s
|General Election 2015: Redditch|
|Liberal Democrat||Hilary Myers||1,349||3.1||-14.5|
|General Election 2010: Redditch|
|Liberal Democrat||Nicholas Lane||7,750||17.6||+3.2|
|English Democrats||Vincent Schittone||255||0.6||+0.6|
|Conservative gain from Labour||Swing||+9.2|
Elections in the 2000s
|General Election 2005: Redditch|
|Liberal Democrat||Nigel Hicks||5,602||13.9||+3.6|
|UKIP||John Paul Ison||1,381||3.4||0.0|
|General Election 2001: Redditch|
|Liberal Democrat||Michael Ashall||3,808||10.3||-0.7|
Elections in the 1990s
|General Election 1997: Redditch|
|Liberal Democrat||Malcolm Hall||4,935||11.0|
|Natural Law||Paul Davis||227||0.5|
Notes and references
- "Electorate Figures - Boundary Commission for England". 2011 Electorate Figures. Boundary Commission for England. 4 March 2011. Retrieved 13 March 2011.
- Letter from Jacqui Smith to the Boundary Commission
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "R" (part 1)[self-published source][better source needed]
- "Election Data 2015". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 17 October 2015. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- "Election Data 2010". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 17 October 2015. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- "Election Data 2005". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Election Data 2001". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Election Data 1997". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.