Band Promoshoot, 2009 (left to right): Bernie Versailles, Chris Quirarte, Nick Van Dyk, Sean Andrews, Greg Hosharian, Ray Alder
|Origin||Los Angeles, United States|
|Labels||Sensory, InsideOut, Metal Blade Records|
Nick van Dyk
Redemption is an American progressive metal band.
Redemption is composed of former and current members of Fates Warning, Evergrey and Prymary. Early incarnations of the group featured members of Symphony X and Steel Prophet. Led by guitarist and keyboard player Nick van Dyk, the band originally featured Rick Mythiasin on vocals, Bernie Versailles on guitar, and Jason Rullo on drums, with Michael Romeo providing symphonic arrangements and some keyboard pieces. Mythiasin left in 2003, and Corey Brown of Magnitude 9 stepped in and performed live with the band, but Ray Alder of Fates Warning, who had sung on one track on Redemption's self-titled debut, agreed to join as Redemption's full-time vocalist, beginning with 2005's The Fullness of Time.
The group accompanied the progressive metal band Dream Theater on their U.S. Systematic Chaos Tour, supporting their 2007 release The Origins of Ruin. In March 2009 a live DVD/CD, entitled Frozen in the Moment, was released. The band's fourth full-length album, Snowfall on Judgment Day, was released at the end of September 2009 in Europe and on October 6 in North America.
In November 2008, Nick van Dyk was diagnosed with Multiple Myeloma, a particularly virulent form of blood cancer that is generally considered incurable.
On September 16, 2014, Redemption released their second live CD/DVD entitled Live From the Pit.
On the morning of October 5, 2014; Bernie Versailles suffered an aneurysm and was rushed to the emergency room.
On Feb 26th, 2016, saw the release of their new album The Art of Loss. The record features guitarists Marty Friedman, Chris Broderick, Chris Poland and Simone Mularoni who were asked to fill in for Versailles who is currently on indefinite hiatus from the band as he continues to recover from his aneurysm. Also appearing on the album is vocalist John Bush who performs a duet with Ray Alder on a cover of The Who song 'Love Reign o'er Me'.
On September 11, 2017 it was announced that Tom Englund would take over as new lead vocalist beginning with the band's forthcoming album 'Long Night's Journey Into Day'.
- Nick van Dyk − guitars, keyboards (2001–present)
- Bernie Versailles − guitars (2001-present) (on hiatus from 5 October 2014 due to recovery from aneurysm)
- Chris Quirarte − drums (2004–present)
- Sean Andrews − bass guitar (2006–present)
- Tom Englund − vocals (2017–present)
- Vikram Shankar − keyboards (2018–present)
- Rick Mythiasin − vocals (2001-2004)
- Jason Rullo − drums (2001-2003)
- James Sherwood − bass (2003-2006)
- Ray Alder - vocals (2004-2016)
- Greg Hosharian − keyboards (2008-2009)
- Corey Brown − vocals (2003-2005)
- Andy Paredes - keyboards (2003−2006)
- Smiley Sean - keyboards (2007)
- Sean Entrikin - guitars (2007)
- Redemption (2003)
- The Fullness of Time (2005)
- The Origins of Ruin (2007)
- Snowfall on Judgment Day (2009)
- This Mortal Coil (2011)
- The Art of Loss (2016)
- Long Night's Journey Into Day (2018)
- "Redemption: Members (2012)". metal-archives.com. Retrieved 2012-02-17.
- "Redemption: Past Members (2012)". metal-archives.com. Retrieved 2012-02-17.
- "Ray Alder Joins Redemption (2004)". metalunderground.com. Retrieved 2012-02-17.
- "Dream Theater On 'Systematic Chaos' Tour (2007)". ultimate-guitar.com. Retrieved 2012-02-17.