Redfern All Blacks
|Full name||Redfern All Blacks Rugby League Football Club|
|Short name||All Blacks|
|Competition||Sydney Combined Competition, South Sydney District Junior Rugby Football League|
|Premierships||3 (1988, 2015, 2016)|
The Redfern All Blacks are an Indigenous Australian rugby league team based in Redfern, New South Wales, They are a part of the Sydney Combined Competition & South Sydney District Junior Rugby Football League.
Redfern All Blacks is the oldest Indigenous Australian rugby league club in Australia. The club was officially founded by a group of non-Aboriginal and Aboriginal people in 1944, but some accounts suggest the team goes back to around the time of the Great Depression. The club, often referred to as RABs or Redfern, was named after their black guernseys, part of the uniform provided by the South Sydney District Junior Rugby Football League in their first playing season. At the time the club was formed, Aboriginal Australians were denied rights afforded to other Australians. Socially, culturally and politically, the club was important to many Indigenous Australias in Redfern at the time, and the club today is central to the history of Aboriginal Redfern.
In 1973, the Redfern All Blacks became one of the founding member clubs that formed the inaugural NSW Koori Knockout in which seven teams participated.
Notable team members
- Mervyn "Boomanulla" Williams
- Matthew Allwood
- Josh Addo-Carr
- Andrew Dunemann
- Nathan Merritt
- Ron Merritt
- Tony Merritt
- Wes Patten
- Reece Robinson
- Travis Robinson
- Gorden Tallis
- Darrell Trindall
- Dean Widders
- Jonathan Wright
Honours and records
1972, 1973, 1978, 1979, 1992, 1993, 2015, 2016
South Sydney Junior Rugby League 1988
- Ken Brindle (June 1970). "Items of Interest from NSW Aborigines Welfare Board's Magazine "Dawn": Redfern All Blacks". New Dawn. New Dawn (on The Koori History Website). Archived from the original on 1 June 2012. Retrieved 9 April 2013.
- "Redfern All Blacks Rugby League Club". Dictionary of Sydney. Retrieved 9 April 2013.
- "About Us: Who are the Redfern All Blacks (RAB)". SportingPulse. Archived from the original on 20 February 2008. Retrieved 10 April 2013.
- "Rabbitohs and NASCA form new alliance". Press Release. South Sydney District Rugby League Football Club. Archived from the original on 26 October 2012. Retrieved 10 April 2013.
- Ada Lee (1 April 2013). "All Blacks the team to beat". The South Sydney Herald. Retrieved 9 April 2013.
- Charles "Chicka" Madden. "The Redfern All Blacks". A History of Aboriginal Sydney. University of Sydney. Retrieved 9 April 2013.
- Charles "Chicka" Madden. "Making Tracks: Chicka Madden". A History of Aboriginal Sydney. University of Sydney. Retrieved 9 April 2013.
- "Liquor poll postponed in 41 places". Barrier Miner. 15 February 1947. Retrieved 10 April 2013.
- Heidi Norman (2011). "Aboriginal Rugby League in Sydney". Dictionary of Sydney. Dictionary of Sydney Trust. Retrieved 10 April 2013.
- National Museum of Australia. "Ken Brindle". National Museum of Australia. Retrieved 9 April 2013.
- Sportingpulse[dead link]
- Redfern Oral History - RABs page
- Portrait of the Redfern All Blacks 1979 Portrait by Michael Riley
- Jackie Hartley, Black, White... And Red? The Redfern All Blacks Rugby League Club in the Early 1960s, Labour History, No. 83 (Nov., 2002), Australian Society for the Study of Labour History, Inc.
- John Lester, You can take the black kid out of Redfern but you can't take the Redfern out of the black kid!, presentation to Perspectives on Urban Life: Connections and Reconnections AIATSIS National Indigenous Studies Conference 2009.