Redford Union High School
|Redford Union High School|
|17711 Kinloch Avenue
|School district||Redford Union Schools|
|Color(s)||Blue and Gold|
Redford Union High School (RUHS) is a public educational facility in Redford, Michigan, a suburb of Detroit; the school is affiliated with the Redford Union School District. RUHS's colors are blue and gold; the official mascot is a panther. Redford Union High School's first graduating class matriculated in 1925. The current building was built in 1954.
To provide a quality educational environment which meets the needs of all students to become independent, lifelong learners and contributing members of society.
The Redford Union High School football team plays their home games at Kraft Field, located at nearby Hilbert Middle School.
Panther Track and Field Hall of Fame
- In 1969, Coach John Mackenzie led Redford Union High School to the boys' team title at the Michigan High School Athletic Association Track and Field Championships. John Morrison was the Panthers' lone gold medalist; he was first to the finish line in the 120-yard high hurdles.
- At the 1971 MHSAA finals, Roger Blanchard won the pole vault event with an effort of 4.36 meters (14 feet 4 inches).
- Mike Petsch was a two-time state titlist for Redford Union; Petsch won top honors in the shot-put at the 1977 and 1978 MHSAA finals.
- Panther brothers Bob (1977) and Paul Babits (1979) were MHSAA gold medalists in the pole vault; the brothers-Babits competed collegiately at Western Michigan University. Bob's son, Max Babits is the MHSAA Division-2 record holder in the pole vault; Max was 2010 MHSAA champion, representing Fowlerville High School.
- Angie Mogielski took first place in the 1600-meter run at the 1983 MHSAA championships; to this day, she is the only Redford Union schoolgirl to win a state title.
- Tre Goynes (2012) won the 2012 Division 2 State Championship in the high jump event at the MHSAA Track and Field Finals.
Baseball Hall of Fame
- Toby Matchulat (2007) was drafted during his senior year at Redford Union in the 37th round (1132nd overall) by the Detroit Tigers in 2007 (did not sign). Toby attended Wabash Valley (Ill.) Junior College for one year before being re-drafted in the 11th round (341st overall) by the Chicago Cubs in 2008.
Annual Alumni Face-off
This annual event is typically held on the first Friday in June to raise funds for RU Education and Athletics.
- Rickey Clark, former MLB pitcher (California Angels).
- Bill Fahey, former MLB catcher (Washington Senators, Texas Rangers, San Diego Padres, Detroit Tigers).
- Mike Stefanski, former MiLB catcher, and the current catching coordinator for the Cincinnati Reds.
- Paul Waterman, CEO Castrol, CEO Elementis 2016
- "Rickey Clark Statistics and History". Baseball Reference. Retrieved August 23, 2014.
- "Bill Fahey Statistics and History". Baseball Reference. Retrieved August 23, 2014.
- "Mike Stefanski #72". MLB.com. Retrieved August 23, 2014.