Redstone Solar Thermal Power
|Redstone Solar Thermal Power|
|Location||Postmasburg, Northern Cape Province|
|Construction began||2015 (scheduled)|
|Commission date||2018 (planned)|
|Construction cost||$715 million|
|CSP technology||Solar power tower|
|Nameplate capacity||100 MW|
|Capacity factor||54.8% (planned)|
|Annual net output||480 GW·h (planned)|
|Storage capacity||1,200 MW·he|
|Website||redstone csp ipp|
Redstone Solar Thermal Power (RSTP) is a planned solar power tower solar thermal power plant, located in Postmasburg, near Kimberley, in the Northern Cape Region of South Africa. Redstone Solar Thermal Power is 100 megawatts (MW), and will be a solar tower plant with molten salt energy storage. The project is based on the technology used in Solar Reserve's Crescent Dunes project in the US
In January 2015, the South Africa Department of Energy awarded the RSTP project to a consortium led by SolarReserve and the Arabian Company for Water and Power Development (ACWA Power). The project is to achieve financial close at end of 2015 and commence operations in early 2018. Overall project cost is $715 million, and basic power tariff offered at $124/MW·h. Peak power tariff is 270% of the basic power tariff i.e. $334/MW·h. Tariffs quoted in Rands, fully indexed, were R1.70/MW·h base rate and R4.58/MW·h peak rate (2015 rate).
The RSTP project features a 2-tank direct molten salt energy storage with 12 hours of full-load energy storage, namely 1200 MW·h of equivalent power production, avoiding any backup fuel requirement. The RSTP project is located adjacent the 75 MW Lesedi and 96 MW Jasper photovoltaic solar power projects. Together the three projects comprise a combined CSP and PV solar park with a total 271 MW of generating capacity.
The RSTP project will create 800 direct jobs during construction, with a planned 30-year operating life.
The purchase power agreement (PPA) worth R50 billion with Eskom was postponed and is still to be signed.
- List of solar thermal power stations
- List of power stations in South Africa
- Solar thermal energy
- Crescent Dunes Solar Energy Project
- "SOUTH AFRICA DOE AWARDS 100MW SOLAR THERMAL POWER PROJECT TO SOLARRESERVE AND ACWA 08 JAN 2015" (PDF). Retrieved 8 June 2015.
- "SolarReserve Wins Bid to Build South African Solar Plus Storage Plant". Retrieved 8 June 2015.
- "Nuwe kragaanleg voordelig". Retrieved 8 June 2015.
- "A 20-year power purchase agreement with Redstone Solar Thermal Power postponed until further notice". www.eskom.co.za. Retrieved 2016-08-19.