Gaines in 2005.
|Eastern Kentucky Colonels|
|League||Ohio Valley Conference|
January 7, 1981 |
|Listed height||6 ft 6 in (1.98 m)|
|Listed weight||205 lb (93 kg)|
|High school||Madison West
|NBA draft||2003 / Round: 1 / Pick: 15th overall|
|Selected by the Orlando Magic|
|Position||Shooting guard / Point guard|
|Number||22, 4, 34|
|2007||Armani Jeans Milano|
|2012||Guaros de Lara|
|2015–present||Eastern Kentucky (asst.)|
|Career highlights and awards|
High school and college career
Gaines, a 6'6", 205 lb (1.98 m, 93 kg) shooting guard, played high school basketball at Madison West in his hometown of Madison, Wisconsin. He then played four years at University of Louisville, earning AP All-America 3rd team honors his senior season while leading the Cardinals to a 25-7 win-loss record. He's considered one of the best all-time shooting guards for the Louisville Cardinal basketball program. He ranks among the top-five Louisville leaders in made three-point field goals (225), free throws (456), and assists (475). Dwyane Wade of the Miami Heat once called Reece Gaines "the best college basketball player he ever faced".
Gaines was drafted by the Orlando Magic in the first round (15th overall) of the 2003 NBA draft and signed with the club on July 18, 2003. He spent one season on the bench in Orlando (1.8 points, 1.0 rebounds, 1.1 assists in 38 games) before being traded to the Houston Rockets (along with Tracy McGrady, Juwan Howard and Tyronn Lue) in exchange for Steve Francis, Cuttino Mobley and Kelvin Cato.
Gaines played ten games with the Rockets (2.6 points, 1.1 rebounds, 0.3 assists per game), spending the majority of his time on the injured list. He was traded again on February 24, 2005 (with two future second-round picks) to the Milwaukee Bucks for Mike James and Zendon Hamilton. Gaines saw even less playing time with the Bucks during the second half of the 2004–05 season, playing a total of 79 minutes (1.4 points, 0.3 rebounds, 0.4 assists) in 11 games. Gaines playing time decreased even more with the Bucks in the 2005–06 season, appearing in 12 games, and playing 52 minutes (1.1 points, no rebounds, 0.3 assists).
In 2006, he moved to Italy where he played for Angelico Biella, Armani Jeans Milano and Benetton Treviso. In 2009, he joined the Bakersfield Jam, with whom he averaged 14.3 points and 4.0 assists per game. In December 2010 he signed with JA Vichy in France. In January 2012 Gaines signed a 30-day contract with the Fürstenfeld Panthers in Austria. On February 2, 2012, the Panthers announced that the contract with Gaines would not be extended.
- Reece Gaines Profile - Louisville Cardinals Official Athletic Site
- 5 Best Louisville Basketball Players of the Rick Pitino Era | A Gathering Place For Bluegrass Sports & Fine Kentucky Bourbon
- Dwyane Wade Calls Reece Gaines The Best College Player He Faced - Card Chronicle
- Gaines happy to be a Knight - wave3.com-Louisville News, Weather & Sports
- Francis' meeting with Magic triggers trade
- Knicks land Rose, Taylor, draft picks
- Reece Gaines en renfort à la JAV (French)
- Die Panthers verstärken sich mit einem Aussenspieler
- Kaderveraenderungen bei den Panthers
- Bellarmine hires former Louisville basketball great Reece Gaines as assistant coach