Reed Between the Lines
|Reed Between the Lines|
|Created by||Kellie Griffin|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||1|
|No. of episodes||25 (list of episodes)|
|Running time||20 to 21 minutes|
|Picture format||480i (SDTV)
|Original release||October 11 – December 20, 2011|
Reed Between the Lines is an American television family sitcom that premiered on October 11, 2011, on BET. The series was renewed for a second season on April 12, 2011. It was later announced in August 2012 that Tracee Ellis Ross would not return for the second season and three new cast members (Charles Robinson, Michole White, and Tony Rock) would be joining the cast. On September 12, 2013, it was revealed that Reed Between the Lines had been canceled and that Young Man on Campus would not be green-lit to series. Malcolm Jamal-Warner confirmed in December 2013 that the second season will not air despite the network completing production on an entire second season in late 2012.
The show follows a modern-day blended family as they navigate life's ups and downs with wit and humor. It centers on Dr. Carla Reed, a busy psychologist, wife and mom struggling to balance her job and her happy but chaotic home life.
- Tracee Ellis Ross as Dr. Carla Reed - Highly successful psychologist who works hard to balance her family and career. She grew up in a solid, middle-class family that valued stability and education. But her perfect world fell apart while she was in college at Howard University; it was then that she found out her father had a secret family.
- Malcolm-Jamal Warner as Dr. Alex Reed - English professor at NYU, specializing in twentieth-century American literature. Alex is also a neat freak who loves sports, cooking and fine wines. Born and raised in Newark, New Jersey, he was the first of his blue-collar family to go to college, which is an accomplishment he doesn't take for granted.
- Nadji A. Jeter as Keenan Reynolds - He is Kaci's fraternal twin and older by two minutes, a fact that he loves to rub in her face. Like most teenage boys, Keenan likes video games, music and hanging out with his friends. But most of all, he likes to push Kaci's buttons and tease Alexis.
- Zoe Soul as Kaci Reynolds - Typical teenage girl: she loves boys, and talking with her friends— She's also an excellent natural athlete who participates in a number of school activities. She is super-sensitive, emotional and overly dramatic. She's intensely interested in environmental causes. She makes sure Carla and Alex keep their home "green", and is frequently outraged by her family's increasing carbon footprint and wasting resources. She also hates "family time" or anything that involves Keenan. Even though they're close, she competes with him all the time. She knows he purposely tries to get her riled up but, for some reason, she can't ignore him.
- Zoé Hendrix as Alexis Reed
- Melissa De Sousa as Gabriella Jimenez
- Anna Maria Horsford as Ms. Helen Wilson
|Season premiere||Season finale|
|1||25||October 11, 2011||December 20, 2011|
Young Man on Campus
Young Man on Campus is a pilot ordered by BET that was to be a spin-off of Reed Between the Lines. It starred Jacob Latimore who is cast in the lead role as Jacob Matthews — a precocious 15-year-old who's a sophomore in physics at the fictional historically black college Mt. Pleasant University. Dondre Whitfield, Vanessa Simmons, Eric D. Hill Jr, and Terri Vaughn were also apart of the cast.
- Seidman, Robert (October 5, 2011). "New BET Series 'Reed Between the Lines' Premieres Following 'BET Hip Hop Awards 2011' on October 11". TV by the Numbers (Press release).
- "Malcolm-Jamal Warner On ‘Reed Between The Lines’ & Its ‘Cosby Show’ Inspiration". Access Hollywood. October 7, 2011.
- "BET Networks Unveils New Programming at 2012 Upfront Presentation". The Futon Critic (Press release). April 12, 2012.
- "The Game, Let’s Stay Together, Reed Between the Lines, Sunday Best: Renewed for 2012-13". TV Series Finale. April 14, 2012.
- Braxton, Greg (August 17, 2012). "Tracee Ellis Ross departs BET's 'Reed Between the Lines'". Los Angeles Times.
- Andreeva, Nellie (September 12, 2013). "BET Preps Second Season Of ‘Being Mary Jane’, Cancels ‘Reed Between The Lines’". Deadline Hollywood.
- Ho, Rodney (December 27, 2013). "Malcolm-Jamal Warner says second season of BET's 'Reed Between the Lines' won't air". Access Atlanta. Retrieved January 7, 2014.
- Travis, Camille (April 3, 2012). "BET Readies New Pilot ‘Young Man On Campus’". UPTOWN Magazine.
- Andreeva, Nellie (April 2, 2012). "BET Preps ‘Young Man On Campus’ Pilot". Deadline Hollywood.
- Ford, Thembi (April 3, 2012). "BET Announces “Young Man On Campus” With Terri J Vaughn, Dondre Whitfield, Will You Watch?". Clutch.