Reed Business Information
Reed Business Information is a provider of data services, business information and workflow solutions to businesses. The company is based in the United Kingdom, United States, China, Singapore, Continental Europe and Australia. Reed Business Information is a division of RELX Group and is often referred to as RBI. The company produces industry specific data services and tools, online community and job sites as well as business magazines. It provides services to specific sectors including chemicals, agriculture, HR, property, finance, science and aerospace. Among its best known products and services are ICIS, Accuity, XpertHR, FlightGlobal, Estates Gazette, Farmers Weekly and New Scientist.
In 2002, the company known as Cahners Business Information, founded by Norman Cahners in 1960, changed its name to Reed Business Information. At this time, RBI consisted of Cahners in the United States, Elsevier Business Information in Europe outside of the United Kingdom, and Reed Business Information in the United Kingdom, Asia and Australia. In 1998, the RBI unit within Cahners had about 1,500 employees and was the largest publisher of business-to-business periodicals in the United Kingdom.
Since 2009 Reed Business Information has focused on paid content, data services and online marketing.
In 2011 RBI made four acquisitions. In January 2011, RBI completed the purchase transaction to take majority ownership of CBI China, a petrochemical and energy information service in China, adding to its chemicals pricing service (ICIS). It also acquired Parpinelli Tecnon. In June 2011 RBI acquired Ascend, a provider of online fleet data and valuations to the aviation industry, adding to RBI's existing data and content services and its aerospace platform, Flightglobal.
In September 2011, RBI announced the completion of a definitive agreement to acquire Accuity Holdings, a United States provider of online subscription-based data services for the financial services industry. Accuity was integrated with RBI's Bankers' Almanac, to form BankersAccuity which was rebranded Accuity (Sept 2013). RBI sold BuyerZone, an online marketplace for buyers and sellers of SMB products and services, to TechMedia Network, Inc. (“TMN”) on 22 January 2014.
On 17 March 2014 RBI acquired Innovata LLC, a leading provider of airline schedules data, maps and tools for the global air travel market. Innovata joins RBI’s aerospace information and data services business, Flightglobal. On 4 June 2014 RBI sold emedia Communications LLC, a US-based provider of research to IT buyers and leads to IT vendors, to Ziff Davis, the Digital Media Division of j2 Global, Inc. On 21 July 2014 RBI announced the sale of a 51 percent stake in Reed Construction Data (RCD) to Warburg Pincus, and the sale of 100 percent of RSMeans to The Gordian Group, a portfolio company of Warburg Pincus.
On 29 September 2014 FircoSoft become part of Accuity, RBI’s provider of global payment routing data and anti-money laundering solutions to banks and businesses worldwide.
In September 2015 Mark Allen Group acquired Optician from RBI.
RBI announced the sale of its Australian construction information group Cordell Information Pty Limited to CoreLogic, Inc. on 5 October 2015.
M Squared Media Ltd acquired the Hairdressers Journal International portfolio on 6 October 2015.
On 26 October 2015 RBI acquired Adaptris Group Limited, an integration software and eSolutions company, which will sit within RBI's Agriculture Group.
In August 2016 RBI acquired two pioneering US data and intelligence businesses; FlightStats Inc and Diio LLC both of which will now sit alongside FlightGlobal’s existing portfolio of fleet, aircraft finance and schedules data services.
Cahners Business Information before 2002
In 2000, Cahners was described as "the $1 billion U.S. business-to-business unit" of Reed Elsevier plc and had about 4,250 employees. In February 2000, Marc Teren took the role of CEO, succeeding interim chief Brian Nairn, who was installed in September 1999 after the "abrupt" departure of Bruce Barnet, who had also held the role of president for the unit.
- Community Care Inform
- Property Link
Community websites and job sites
- Farmers Weekly interactive (FWi), launched in 1997 for the United Kingdom.
- FWi Jobs
- FlightGlobal Jobs
- New Scientist
- New Scientist Jobs
- Personnel Today
- Personnel Today Jobs
- Property Jobs
- Airline Business
- Dairy Update
- Employers' Law
- Estates Gazette
- Farmers Weekly
- Flight International
- New Scientist
- Poultry World
- Broadcasting & Cable, Multichannel News and This Week in Consumer Electronics (TWICE): Sold to NewBay Media in 2009.
- Community Care now only online
- Adoption Conference
- Adults at Risk Conference
- Adults with Autism Conference
- Airline Business Strategy Awards
- Asian Base Oils and Lubricants Conference
- Community Care Live
- Estates Gazette Awards
- Euro Phenol Conference
- Fertilizers Conference
- FlightGlobal Achievement Awards
- GPCA Supply Chain Conference
- ICIS European Chemical Purchasing Conference
- ICIS Heren Trading LNG Conference
- ICIS World Polyolefins Conference
- ICIS World Surfactants Conference
- Innovation in Airline Distribution Conference
- International Sulphur and Sulphuric Acid Symposium
- Loyalty Conference
- Network USA Conference
- Personnel Today Awards
- Power Conference
- Safety in Aviation Asia Conference
- The RAD Awards
- World Base Oils Conference
- World Chloralkali Conference
- World Olefins Conference
- Youth Justice Integration Conference
- Staff (28 February 2002). "Cahners Business Information. (News in Brief).(name change to Reed Business Information)(Brief Article)". Business Publisher. Retrieved 5 October 2015 – via HighBeam Research.(subscription required)
- Hanney, Brian (1 January 1998). "A credit management system for the millennium". Credit Management. Retrieved 5 October 2015 – via HighBeam Research.
- "Reed Elsevier announces definitive agreement to acquire Accuity" (Press release). Accuity Solutions. 26 September 2011. Archived from the original on 30 September 2011.
- Owens, Jennifer; Holliday, Heather (1 February 2000). "Net Exec Named New CEO of Cahners". Folio:. Retrieved 5 October 2015 – via HighBeam Research.(subscription required)
- Staff (1 August 1997). "New On The Web". Internet Business News. Reed Business Information. Retrieved 5 October 2015 – via HighBeam Research.
- Fell, Jason (1 December 2009). "RBI Sells Broadcasting & Cable to NewBay". Folio:. United States. Retrieved 5 October 2015.
- Marketers Resource Guide. Crain Communications, 2006.