|Education||B.S. (foods and nutrition), Florida State University|
M.S. (nutrition), Case Western Reserve University
Ph.D. (nutrition), University of Maryland
|Occupation||Nutritionist, registered dietitian, lecturer in nutrition at the University of Massachusetts Amherst|
|Known for||Research into vegan and vegetarian diets|
|Website||"Dr. Reed Mangels"|
University of Massachusetts Amherst
Ann Reed Mangels is a registered dietitian and Adjunct Associate Professor in the Department of Nutrition in the School of Public Health and Health Sciences at the University of Massachusetts Amherst, specializing in vegan and vegetarian nutrition. She is the author or co-author of numerous papers and books on the subject, including the American Dietetic Association's position paper on vegan and vegetarian diets, Vegan & Vegetarian FAQ (2001), The Dietitian's Guide to Vegetarian Diets (2004), and The Everything Vegan Pregnancy Book (2011).
Mangels is nutrition adviser for the Vegetarian Resource Group, and nutrition editor for Vegetarian Journal.
- The Everything Vegan Pregnancy Book. Adams Media, 2011.
- with Virginia Messina and Mark Messina. The Dietitian's Guide to Vegetarian Diets: Issues and Applications. 3rd ed. Jones and Bartlett, 2010.
- with Debra Wasserman. Simply Vegan: Quick Vegetarian Meals. Vegetarian Resource Group, 2006.
- with David Gypsy Breier. Vegan & Vegetarian FAQ. Vegetarian Resource Group, 2001.
- Papers/book chapters
- "Bone nutrients for vegetarians," Am J Clin Nutr. 2014 Jul;100 Suppl 1:469S-75S. PMID 24898231
- with Winston J Craig. "Position of the American Dietetic Association: Vegetarian diets," J Am Diet Assoc. 2009;109:1266-82.
- "Pediatric Vegetarians," in Edelstein S, Sharlin J. (eds.). Nutrition in the Life Cycle: An Evidence-based Approach. Jones and Bartlett Publishers, 2008.
- "Vegetarian diets in pregnancy," in Lammi-Keefe CJ, Couch S, Philipson E. (eds.). Handbook of Nutrition and Pregnancy. Humana Press, 2008.
- with Virginia Messina and Vesanto Melina. "Position of the American Dietetic Association and Dietitians of Canada: Vegetarian diets," J Am Diet Assoc. 2003;103:748-65.
- with Virginia Messina and Vesanto Melina. "A new food guide for North American vegetarians," J Am Diet Assoc. 2003;103:771-5.
- with Virginia Messina. "Considerations in planning vegan diets: Children," J Am Diet Assoc. 2001;101:661-9.
- with Virginia Messina. "Considerations in planning vegan diets: Infants," J Am Diet Assoc. 2001;101:670-7.
- with G. Block et al. "Ascorbic acid status and subsequent diastolic and systolic blood pressure," Hypertension. 2001;37:261-7.
- with PB Moser-Veillon, et al. "Calcium fractional absorption and metabolism assessed using stable isotopes differ between postpartum and never pregnant women," J Nutr. 2001; 131:2295-9.
- with G Block, et al. "Body weight and prior depletion affect plasma ascorbate levels attained on identical vitamin C intake: a controlled diet study," J Am Coll Nutr. 1999;18: 628-637.
- with G Block, et al. "The bioavailability to humans of ascorbic acid from oranges, orange juice and cooked broccoli is similar to that of synthetic ascorbic acid," J Nutr. 1993;123:1054-1061.
- with JM Holden, et al. "Carotenoid content of fruits and vegetables: An evaluation of analytical data," J Am Diet Assoc. 1993;93:284-296.
- with JK Chug-Ahuja, et al. "The development and application of a carotenoid database for fruits, vegetables, and selected multicomponent foods," J Am Diet Assoc. 1993;93:318-323.
- with R Sinha, et al. "Determinants of plasma vitamin E in healthy males," Cancer Epidemiol Biomark Prev. 1993; 2:473-479.
- with PB Moser-Veillon, et al. "Selenium utilization during human lactation using stable isotope tracers," Am J Clin Nutr. 1990;52:621-627.
- "Reed Mangels", Vegetarian Times, February 1993.