|This article may rely excessively on sources too closely associated with the subject, potentially preventing the article from being verifiable and neutral. (January 2014)|
September 25, 1967 |
New Brunswick, New Jersey, United States
|Spouse||Sheryl (m. 2004)|
Berardinelli was born in New Brunswick, New Jersey and spent his early childhood in Morristown, New Jersey. At 9, he relocated to the township of Cherry Hill, New Jersey. Later he moved to Piscataway.
He attended the University of Pennsylvania from 1985 to 1990, obtaining both a Bachelor of Science and Master's degree in Electrical Engineering. After graduating he worked for Bellcore Company, now Telcordia Technologies, and spent the next 15 years working "in a variety of fields, including fiber optics, video testing, and software systems." In 2004, he married Sheryl, one of his longtime readers. They have a son, Michael, born on May 12, 2010.
Starting in 1993, Berardinelli started publishing reviews in Usenet by reviewing Scent of a Woman. Berardinelli also writes the blog ReelThoughts at Reelviews.net. Roger Ebert referred to Berardinelli as "the best of the Web-based critics", and wrote a foreword for Berardinelli's book, Reelviews. Berardinelli is a member of the Online Film Critics Society.
In September 2013, Berardinelli announced that he had been working on a trilogy of fantasy novels entitled The Last Whisper of the Gods. The first book was published in November 2015, with the remaining two volumes set to appear in January and March 2016.
- Berardinelli, James (2003) ReelViews : The Ultimate Guide to the Best 1,000 Modern Movies on DVD and Video, ISBN 1-932112-06-5
- Berardinelli, James (2005) ReelViews 2: The Ultimate Guide to the Best 1,000 Modern Movies on DVD and Video, 2005 Edition, ISBN 1-932112-40-5
- Berardinelli, James (2015) The Last Whisper of the Gods, ISBN B-016IWS-UN-M
- Berardinelli, James (August 3, 2009). "1984". Reelviews.net. Archived from the original on June 15, 2015. Retrieved June 15, 2015.
...turning 17. Beginning September 25 , I could drive and see R-rated movies without an accompanying adult.
- "Frequently Asked Questions". Reelviews.net. Archived from the original on June 15, 2015. Retrieved June 12, 2015.
- Robert Stevens (27 June 1997), "Amateur film reviewers take opinions to the Internet", Kansas City Star/ Los Angeles Times: 17,
James Berardinelli is not a professional movie reviewer, but he plays one on the Net. Log onto his Web site ReelViews, and you'll find 1,200 film reviews that the Piscataway, N.J., electrical engineer has written since he starting posting messages on Internet newsgroups in 1992.
- Berardinelli, James (January 26, 2007). "11 Years". Reelviews Movie Reviews. Retrieved July 19, 2015.
- Berardinelli, James (June 11, 2010). "Welcome, Michael". Reelviews Movie Reviews. Retrieved June 21, 2015.
- Jason Silverman (28 Feb 2004), "Invasion of the Web Film Critics", Wired, retrieved 2014-10-03
- "In Online World, Everyone Can Be A Critic", South Florida Sun-Sentinel / Los Angeles Times, June 17, 1997
- Ebert, Roger (February 9, 2001). "Saving Silverman". Chicago Sun-Times.
- "The Ebert Foreword". Reelviews. 13 April 2010.
- "Our Members". Online Film Critics Society. Archived from the original on 2014-07-03. Retrieved 2014-10-02.
- Berardinelli, James. "The Last Whisper of the Gods | Reelviews Movie Reviews". Reelviews.net. Retrieved June 12, 2015.
- "James Berardinelli on Twitter". Twitter. June 5, 2015. Retrieved June 12, 2015.
|Wikiquote has quotations related to: James Berardinelli|
- ReelViews.net (official site)