|This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Launched||September 27, 2006|
|Owned by||Hubbard Broadcasting|
|Picture format||720p (HDTV)
(HD feed downgraded to letterboxed 480i for SDTVs)
|Slogan||Real Stories. Real Lives. Real Celebrities.|
|Headquarters||Albuquerque, New Mexico|
|DirecTV||Channel 238 (HD/SD)
Channel 1238 (VOD; HD)
|Dish Network||Channel 299 (HD/SD)
Channel 9504 (HD)
|Verizon FiOS||Channel 233 (SD)|
|Available on most other U.S. cable systems||Consult your local cable provider for channel availability|
|AT&T U-verse||Channel 1799 (HD)
Channel 799 (SD)
Reelz (also known as REELZCHANNEL) is an American digital cable and satellite television network that is owned by Hubbard Broadcasting. The network's programming was formerly devoted to entertainment-oriented programming focusing on the Hollywood film and entertainment industry, with programs featuring information on theatrical film releases as well as information on movies released on DVD and airing on cable television. Currently outside a few entertainment programs, repeats of the Oxygen series Snapped, some reality series and films however, the network mainly airs original and acquired films, series and documentaries about celebrity scandals.
As of February 2015, Reelz is available to approximately 68.2 million pay television households (58.6% of households with at least one television set) in the United States.
The network launched on September 27, 2006 as ReelzChannel, initially available on satellite providers DirecTV and Dish Network. The network originally maintained a programming focus similar to the original format of E! (and its predecessor MovieTime), focusing on programs about the entertainment industry including movie review and junket interview series. The network eventually signed carriage agreements with various cable providers including Time Warner Cable, Comcast, Charter Communications and Cablevision.
In early 2009, ReelzChannel moved its operations from Los Angeles, California, to Albuquerque, New Mexico, where Hubbard owns that city's NBC-affiliated television station KOB. At that point, the network shifted its programming focus to incorporate acquired series alongside its entertainment news programs. In August 2011, ReelzChannel debuted its first miniseries, The Kennedys. An unauthorized biopic centering on President John F. Kennedy, Jackie Kennedy and the Camelot empire, ReelzChannel acquired the rights to the film after it was passed by History. On November 2012, the network shortened its name to simply Reelz.
Besides running entertainment industry-related programs, Reelz also carries acquired programming, including reality series. The network also formerly ran segments twice each hour called REELZ Recommends, which highlighted programs available via video on demand services (such as Netflix) and premium cable networks (such as HBO, Showtime and Starz). Those programs were tailored to providers based on either the pay-per-view channel map or VOD remote instructions for each system.
- Autopsy: The Last Hours Of...
- Behind the Scream
- Branson Taxi
- Celebrity Damage Control
- Celebrity Page (formerly OK!TV)
- Celebrity Legacies
- CopyCat Killers
- Deadly Shootouts
- Demons in the City of Angels
- Dr. Feelgood
- Extreme Escapes
- Fame Kills
- Hollywood 911
- Hollywood Scandals
- Mansion Hunters
- Master P's Family Empire
- Murder Made Me Famous
- 3rd Rock from the Sun
- Ally McBeal
- Beverly Hills Pawn
- Branson Taxi
- Brothers & Sisters
- Carson's Comedy Classics
- The Capones
- Celebrity Close Calls
- Celebrity Ghost Stories
- Cold Case Files
- EP Daily
- Fan Addicts!
- Final 24
- Focus On: Movies
- Full Throttle Saloon
- Hollywood Dailies
- Hollywood Hillbillies
- Hollywood's Top Ten
- Mark at the Movies
- Maltin on Movies
- Movie Mob
- Movies & Music
- Naked Trailers
- Night Court
- Pacific Blue
- Polka Kings
- Screen Machines
- Secret's Out
- Spin City
- Storage Hunters
- Treasure King
- The Big Tease
- The Countdown
- The Critic
- The Larry Sanders Show
- TMZ Hollywood Sports (now TMZ Sports on Fox Sports 1)
Reelz HD is a high definition simulcast of Reelz broadcasting in the 720p resolution format, which launched on August 1, 2010. The first provider to carry the feed was AT&T U-verse, which began carrying ReelzChannel HD on September 27, 2010; Dish Network carried the HD feed as a free preview from March 30 to May 4, 2011. DirecTV began carrying the HD feed on September 26, 2014. DirecTV also carries ReelzChannel's video on demand content in HD.
ReelzChannel In Your Room
Reelz also operated a former service for hotels in partnership with LodgeNet, called ReelzChannel In Your Room. This featured a mix of Reelz's original programming with reviews of films available on a hotel's video on demand service.
- Seidman, Robert (February 22, 2015). "List of how many homes each cable network is in as of February 2015". TV by the Numbers. Zap2it. Retrieved March 14, 2015.
- Reelz Channel launches today TV Squad.com September 27, 2006 Joel Keller
- LURED BY GOVERNOR RICHARDSON AND THE NEW MEXICO FILM OFFICE REELZ CHANNEL MAKES BOLD MOVE TO RELOCATE CORPORATE HEADQUARTERS TO ALBUQUERQUE IN EARLY 2009 Reelz Channel Press Release January 7, 2009.
- ReelzChannel To Air ‘Kennedys' Miniseries Multichannel News February 1, 2011
- "Shows - REELZChannel". Reelz.com. Retrieved 2016-08-07.
- "ReelzChannel". Tvschedule.zap2it.com. Retrieved 2016-08-07.
- "Crime Drama Series "Cracked" Makes Its U.S. Premiere Friday, August 30, 2013 at 10PM ET/7PM PT". The Futon Critic. August 6, 2013.
- Barnett, David C. (January 27, 2015). "The Unlikely Comeback of Polka". Ideastream. Retrieved April 29, 2015.
- D'Astolfo, Guy (April 9, 2015). "Chardon Polka Band reality TV show premieres Saturday". The Vindicator. Retrieved April 29, 2015.
- ReelzChannel Picks Up ‘Pillars Of The Earth’ Deadline.com August 30, 2011
- 'World Without End' Miniseries Heads to ReelzChannel HollywoodReporter.com May 22, 2012
- Richmond, Ray (July 28, 2013). "TCA: ReelzChannel Unveils 'JFK: The Smoking Gun,' 'The Capones,' 'Hollywood Hillbillies'". Deadline Hollywood.
- O'Neil, Tom (June 6, 2010). "'Modern Family' leads nominations for new Critics' Choice TV Awards". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved June 8, 2011.
- Ausiello, Michael (June 6, 2010). "Mad Men, Fringe, Good Wife, Modern Family, Community, Justified Lead Critics Choice Kudos". TVLine. Retrieved June 8, 2011.
- Natalie Tadena (July 2, 2015).Donald Trump’s Miss USA Pageant Lands on Reelz Cable Channel. Wall Street Journal.
- Quote from PR: "DISH Network subscribers will be able to watch all REELZCHANNEL programming in HD April 3 through May 4"
- "Reelz (238) and Ovation (274) HD coming (now launched) | Page 2". SatelliteGuys.US. Retrieved 2016-08-07.