Nelson with UCLA in 2011
September 18, 1991 |
|Listed height||6 ft 8 in (2.03 m)|
|Listed weight||235 lb (107 kg)|
|High school||Modesto Christian
|NBA draft||2012 / Undrafted|
|2011–2012||Žalgiris Kaunas (Lithuania)|
|2013||Los Angeles D-Fenders (D-League)|
|2013–2014||Delaware 87ers (D-League)|
|2014||Fuerza Guinda de Nogales (Mexico)|
|2014||BC Kangoeroes (Belgium)|
|2015||Maccabi Raanana (Israel)|
|Career highlights and awards|
Reeves Bruce Nelson (born September 18, 1991) is an American professional basketball player for Panelefsiniakos of the Greek Basket League. He played college basketball for the UCLA Bruins from 2009 until 2011, when he was dismissed from the team. He has also played in Mexico and Belgium.
Nelson played professionally for Žalgiris Kaunas in the Lithuanian Basketball League for five weeks before being released. He then declared for the 2012 NBA draft, but was not selected. Nelson then spent a pre-season with the Los Angeles Lakers before playing with the Los Angeles D-Fenders and Delaware 87ers in the NBA Development League (D-League).
Nelson signed to attend University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA) after graduating from Modesto Christian High School in Modesto, California. He was called "the prototypical [UCLA coach] Ben Howland player" by ESPN.com. He joined the UCLA Bruins team in 2009 as part of a five-player freshmen class that also included Tyler Honeycutt.
Nelson finished his sophomore season as the Bruins' top scorer (13.9) and rebounder (9.1) in 2010–11, and he was named first team All-Pac-10. In his junior year, he played six games of the 2011–12 season before he was suspended by coach Ben Howland for being late to a team meeting and behavior that was considered insubordinate. Howland reinstated him two days later, but Nelson later missed a team flight on November 19, 2011. He was suspended again on December 6, and finally dismissed from the team three days later.
In February 2012, a Sports Illustrated article portrayed Nelson as a bully on and off the court, who at times intentionally tried to injure his teammates. According to the article, Howland looked the other way and did not discipline Nelson for over two years. In May 2012, Nelson filed a defamation lawsuit against Time Inc., the parent company of Sports Illustrated, seeking $10 million in compensatory damages and $10 million in punitive damages, but it was thrown out of court in October 2012. The judge ruled that the suit interfered with freedom of speech rights of the magazine and writer, and the writer had a number of sources to corroborate the article.
On December 23, 2011, Nelson signed with Žalgiris Kaunas of Lithuania on a one-year deal (with the option of a second). On January 31, 2012, he was released by Zalgiris after just six games. In May 2012, he declared for the 2012 NBA draft.
After going undrafted in the 2012 NBA draft, he joined the Los Angeles Lakers for 2012 NBA Summer League. On September 5, 2012, he signed with the Lakers. However, he was later waived by the Lakers on October 20, 2012.
On August 29, 2013, Nelson's rights were acquired by the Delaware 87ers in the 2013 NBA Development League Expansion Draft. On December 1, 2013, he officially joined the 87ers. On January 10, 2014, he was waived by the 87ers.
In April 2014, he joined Fuerza Guinda de Nogales of Mexico for the rest of the 2014 CIBACOPA season. He left next month after 15 games.
On June 24, 2014, he signed with Kangoeroes Basket Willebroek of Belgium for the 2014–15 season. On November 14, 2014, he was waived by the Kangoeroes after averaging 15.0 points and 6.3 rebounds in four games. On January 14, 2015, he signed with Maccabi Raanana in Israel, where he had a brief two-game stint. On February 24, he joined Panelefsiniakos B.C. in Greece. He was released from the team, without appearing in any games, after failing to perform adequately in training.
- Pucin, Diane (December 9, 2011). "UCLA basketball team dismisses Reeves Nelson". LATimes.com. Archived from the original on December 10, 2011.
- Yoon, Peter (December 9, 2011). "UCLA dismisses Reeves Nelson". ESPN.com. Retrieved December 10, 2011.
- Dohrmann, George (March 5, 2012). "Special Report: Not the UCLA Way". SI.com. Archived from the original on February 29, 2012.
- Foster, Chris (February 29, 2012). "UCLA disputes Sports Illustrated depiction of basketball program". LATimes.com. Archived from the original on February 14, 2014.
- Foster, Chris (October 18, 2012). "Former UCLA player Reeves Nelson's lawsuit is thrown out of court". LATimes.com. Archived from the original on February 14, 2014.
- "Zalgiris Kaunas signs rookie from UCLA Reeves Nelson". Sportando.com. December 23, 2011. Archived from the original on December 27, 2011.
- Zalgiris Kaunas release Reeves Nelson
- Allen, Percy (February 1, 2012). "Reeves Nelson gets the boot --- again". SeattleTimes.com. Archived from the original on February 7, 2012.
- Allen, Percy (May 3, 2012). "NBA early-entry list low on Pac-12 players". SeattleTimes.com. Archived from the original on May 4, 2012.
- Markazi, Arash (September 5, 2012). "Reeves Nelson joins Lakers". ESPN.com. Archived from the original on September 5, 2012.
- Holmes, Baxter (September 4, 2012). "Ex-UCLA forward Reeves Nelson to be invited to Lakers training camp". LATimes.com. Archived from the original on September 5, 2012.
- "Lakers Waive Aguilar and Nelson". NBA.com. October 20, 2012. Retrieved December 3, 2013.
- D-Fenders Acquire Reeves Nelson
- NBA Development League Announced 2013 Expansion Draft Results
- Delaware 87ers Roster Transaction
- Delaware 87ers Acquire Kyrylo Fesenko Off Waivers
- "Brandon Bowdry, Devin Gibson, Reeves Nelson sign with Kangoeroes". Sportando.com. June 24, 2014. Retrieved June 24, 2014.
- "Reeves Nelson waived by Kangoeroes Willebroek". Sportando.com. November 14, 2014. Retrieved November 14, 2014.
- "Maccabi Raanana adds Nelson to their roster, ex Kangoeroes". eurobasket.com. January 14, 2015. Archived from the original on February 21, 2015.
- "Maccabi Raanana released Reeves Nelson". eurobasket.com. January 25, 2015. Archived from the original on February 26, 2015.
- "Προσθήκη Reeves Nelson". panelefsiniakosbc.com (in Greek). February 25, 2015. Archived from the original on February 26, 2015.
- "Ήρθε και δεν... ακούμπησε ο Νέλσον" (in Greek). contra.gr. March 2, 2015. Retrieved June 13, 2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Reeves Nelson.|