Originally set up in 1983 as a faith-based book ministry by a married couple of Stanmore Baptist Church to sell Banner of Truth literature, Reformers expanded its range over the years and in 2007 became a Reformed Baptist/Presbyterian joint venture in partnership with the Theological Education Committee of, and (from July 2009) the Trustees of, the Presbyterian Church of New South Wales. Its stated goal is to make available the best in historic and contemporary Christian literature, and its range reflects the theological stance of its various joint venture partners i.e. evangelical, reformed and conservative i.e. with a high view of the Bible as the ultimate authority in all things of which it speaks. Its senior staff are theologically trained to ministerial level.
Since 2007, it has grown to become the largest specialised seller of evangelical, reformed literature in Australasia, with a brochure mailing list stated to be over 20,000 copies. In contrast with the multi-store approach of Koorong and Word, Reformers appears to have adopted a single-distribution-centre-cum-internet strategy for sales and order fulfilment.
Reformers is the sole Australian trade distributor for both The Good Book Company, with its well-known Christianity Explored and Discipleship Explored ranges (by Rico Tice and Barry Cooper), and P&R Publishing (formerly Presbyterian & Reformed Publishing). Reformers is also an Australasian trade distributor or reseller for the imprints of a number of other well-known evangelical and reformed publishing houses, including Christian Focus, Banner of Truth, Baker Book House, Good News Crossway, Day One, Eerdmans, Evangelical Press, Founders Press, Go Teach, Granted Ministries, Inter-Varsity Press UK, Ligonier Ministries, Matthias Media and Shepherd Press. Reformers trades under a number of other names throughout Australasia including Reformers Bookshop, Reformers Christian Bookshop, Great Christian Books and Advantage Plus.
Reformers supplies the books, either directly or via third-party, to a number of significant Australian conferences, including the EQUIP Women's Conferences, Sydney Anglican Conferences and Banner of Truth Conferences, a biennial conference of reformed speakers.
Reformers also provides books for students of various reformed theological colleges, including the Presbyterian Theological Centre Sydney, the Queensland Theological College, the Presbyterian Theological College Melbourne and the Reformed Theological College Geelong, as part of the Geneva Foundation grants. It also supports Christian missions via its sale-or-return arrangements with congregations. Reformers is a member of the Christian Bookselling Association of Australia.
Notes and references
- See the Australian Business Register Page detailing the ownership by three charitable organisations retrieved on 19 August 2011.
- See the official Reformers Bookshop Australian website and New Zealand website
- See both the congregational website and Australian Business Register History Page for Stanmore Baptist Church, both retrieved on 16 August 2011
- See the Banner of Truth article for the history of the early years of the bookshop.
- See the Australian Business Register entry. Retrieved on 4 June 2009.
- The TEC's role was both to govern the PTC and provide representation on the Reformers Governing Committee. See also the Australian Business Register History Page for the Joint Venture from 1 April 2007 retrieved on 16 August 2011.
- Information on the Trustees of the Presbyterian Church of NSW
- Australian Business Register History Page for the Joint Venture from 1 July 2009 retrieved on 16 August 2011.
- As noted on the Presbyterian Church of Queensland website
- The Presbyterian Church of NSW is strongly evangelical and reformed, in its doctrine, church government and theology of worship.
- Reformers website
- See the statement on the Reformers Subscribe page. Retrieved on 16 August 2011.
- See the article on the Sydney Anglicans website about the distributorship. Retrieved on 28 May 2009.
- The Good Book Company website.
- Christianity Explored Stockist Listing
- The P&R Publishing Contact Us Page lists Reformers as the sole Australian and New Zealand distributor.
- Christian Focus is a large, evangelical, Scottish publisher. Reformers is an Australian distributor - see the Christian Focus International Distributor List
- Reformers is a reseller for Day One Publications.
- See the Eerdmans Australian Distributor listing, retrieved on 16 August 2011.
- Reformers is a Partnership Bookstore of Evangelical Press, and shares its theological stance.
- Founders Press has a Southern Baptist perspective.
- Go Teach website
- See Granted Ministries International Distributor Page
- Australian Business Register Page for the Joint Venture from 1 July 2009 retrieved on 16 August 2011.
- EQUIP website.
- This conference attracts ministry workers from all around Australia and New Zealand, from Presbyterian, Christian Reformed, Anglican, Congregationalist and Reformed Baptist traditions.
- See the listing on the Australian College of Theology Resources Page.
- Presbyterian Theological College, Melbourne website
- See PTC Scholarships and Bursaries for a description of the Geneva bursaries. The Geneva Foundation is an independent charitable organisation that makes grants to eligible bodies, primarily for the advancement of religious education.
- See the Reformers Bookshop About Us webpage.
- CBAA website