Refugio City Hall
Location of Refugio, Texas
|• Total||1.6 sq mi (4.1 km2)|
|• Land||1.6 sq mi (4.1 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||46 ft (14 m)|
|• Density||1,800/sq mi (700/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||1345013|
The climate in this area is characterized by hot, humid summers and generally mild to cool winters. According to the Köppen Climate Classification system, Refugio has a humid subtropical climate, abbreviated "Cfa" on climate maps.
As of the census of 2000, there were 2,941 people, 1,128 households, and 788 families residing in the town. The population density was 1,880.7 people per square mile (727.9/km²). There were 1,312 housing units at an average density of 839.0 per square mile (324.7/km²). The racial makeup of the town was 74.53% White, 13.40% African American, 0.51% Native American, 0.51% Asian, 0.10% Pacific Islander, 9.38% from other races, and 1.56% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 44.30% of the population.
There were 1,128 households out of which 30.9% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 46.5% were married couples living together, 18.2% had a female householder with no husband present, and 30.1% were non-families. 27.3% of all households were made up of individuals and 13.8% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.55 and the average family size was 3.08.
In the town, the population was 26.7% under the age of 18, 8.1% from 18 to 24, 25.1% from 25 to 44, 22.5% from 45 to 64, and 17.6% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 38 years. For every 100 females there were 90.9 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 85.3 males. The median income for a household in the town was $26,719, and the median income for a family was $32,237. Males had a median income of $33,021 versus $15,549 for females. The per capita income for the town was $13,523. About 16.8% of families and 21.1% of the population were below the poverty line, including 26.7% of those under age 18 and 20.9% of those age 65 or over.
- Nolan Ryan, Baseball Hall of Fame pitcher who was born in Refugio; his family moved to Alvin when he was six weeks old
- Rocky Bridges, baseball infielder
- Joseph L. Galloway, American newspaper correspondent and columnist
- Jack Starrett, film actor and director
- Delores Cantú, actress
- Kim Henkel, co-writer of the original movie The Texas Chain Saw Massacre, with Tobe Hooper.
- Allison Paige, country music singer-songwriter
The Town of Refugio is served by the Refugio Independent School District.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- Climate Summary for Refugio, Texas
- "Annual Estimates of the Resident Population for Incorporated Places: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2015". Retrieved July 2, 2016.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Retrieved June 4, 2015.