Refugio City Hall
Location of Refugio, Texas
|Incorporated||February 1, 1842|
|• Total||1.57 sq mi (4.07 km2)|
|• Land||1.57 sq mi (4.07 km2)|
|• Water||0.00 sq mi (0.00 km2)|
|Elevation||46 ft (14 m)|
| • Estimate |
|• Density||1,738.08/sq mi (671.00/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-6 (Central (CST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-5 (CDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||1345013|
The climate in this area is characterized by hot, humid summers and generally mild to cool winters. According to the Köppen climate classification, Refugio has a humid subtropical climate, Cfa on climate maps.
|U.S. Decennial Census|
As of the census of 2000, 2,941 people, 1,128 households, and 788 families resided in the town. The population density was 1,880.7 people per square mile (727.9/km2). The 1,312 housing units averaged 839.0 per square mile (324.7/km2). The racial makeup of the town was 74.53% White, 13.40% African American, 0.51% Native American, 0.51% Asian, 9.48% from other races, and 1.56% from two or more races. Hispanics or Latinos of any race were 44.30% of the population.
Of the 1,128 households, 30.9% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 46.5% were married couples living together, 18.2% had a female householder with no husband present, and 30.1% were notfamilies; 27.3% of the households were made up of individuals, and 13.8% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.55, and the average family size was 3.08.
In the town, the population was distributed as 26.7% under the age of 18, 8.1% from 18 to 24, 25.1% from 25 to 44, 22.5% from 45 to 64, and 17.6% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 38 years. For every 100 females, there were 90.9 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 85.3 males. The median income for a household in the town was $26,719, and for a family was $32,237. Males had a median income of $33,021 versus $15,549 for females. The per capita income for the town was $13,523. About 16.8% of families and 21.1% of the population were below the poverty line, including 26.7% of those under age 18 and 20.9% of those age 65 or over.
- Nolan Ryan, Baseball Hall of Fame pitcher, was born in Refugio; his family moved to Alvin when he was six weeks old.
- Kermit Oliver, Painter
- Rocky Bridges, Major League Baseball infielder
- Joseph L. Galloway, American newspaper correspondent and columnist
- Jack Starrett, film actor and director
- Kim Henkel, co-writer, with Tobe Hooper, of the original movie The Texas Chain Saw Massacre.
- Allison Paige, country music singer-songwriter
- Dan Firova, Major League Baseball catcher and Washington Nationals bullpen coach
The Town of Refugio is served by the Refugio Independent School District.
On August 23, 2017, Governor Greg Abbott published an emergency evacuation for the town of Refugio, following his state of emergency announcement on the state of Texas. On August 25, at peak intensity, Hurricane Harvey hit Refugio, causing significant damage to businesses and homes along US-77. Wind speeds were clocked up to 130 mph when the storm hit the town. Many professional storm trackers were storm chasing in Refugio during the peak of the storm, witnessing and documenting the experience. Several businesses in Refugio closed permanently in the aftermath of Harvey, and the town was without utilities for months.
- "An Act to Incorporate the Town of Refugio". Session Laws. Texas. 1842. p. 86.
- "2019 U.S. Gazetteer Files". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved August 7, 2020.
- "Population and Housing Unit Estimates". United States Census Bureau. May 24, 2020. Retrieved May 27, 2020.
- "U.S. Census website". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- Climate Summary for Refugio, Texas
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Retrieved June 4, 2015.