Región de Murcia International Airport
Región de Murcia
Región de Murcia
|Owner||Comunidad Autónoma de la Región de Murcia|
|Serves||Region of Murcia|
|Elevation AMSL||633 ft / 193 m|
Región de Murcia International Airport, informally also known as Murcia-Corvera, is an international airport replacing Murcia–San Javier Airport. It is situated between the villages of Corvera, Los Martínez del Puerto and Valladolises within the municipality of Murcia.
The development of the airport was proposed as Murcia–San Javier Airport had insufficient capacity for civil aviation due it also being a military base, therefore limiting opportunities for expansion.
A report in La Verdad the week of 13 Dec 2015 suggested that Corvera "will open in 2017" after several delays claimed by the Minister of Employment, Economy and Tourism on the Spanish radio Cadena Ser. In May 2015 Corvera airport management contract was withdrawn from Aeromur. In June 2016 a new Murcian government president came to power and said he could not put a date onto when the airport will open. A couple of days after this announcement, Tumbit reported that the airport "will NOT open in 2016". In December 2016 the new Murcia President had talks with Spanish carrier Volotea and showcased the airport at the London travel fair. However, people were still sceptical about when Corvera airport will open, with AENA investing more in Murcia-San Javier Airport and opening up new routes, as the new airport cannot viably open until Murcia–San Javier Airport closes.
In November 2017, the Spanish government said it would be awarding AENA the contract of managing Corvera airport - whereby San Javier would be closed and flights transferred. It was confirmed in April 2018 that Corvera was due to open on 15 January 2019. The new airport was officially opened on 15 January 2019 by the King of Spain, the first arrival into the airport was Ryanair flight FR1824 from East Midlands.
The airport has a single passenger terminal of 28,500 m² and a single 3,000 × 45 m runway. It will have a capacity of 3 million passengers and 23,000 movements per year upon opening, however capacity can be subsequently increased to 5 million passengers. The terminal is equipped with 9 boarding gates, 25 check-in desks and 4 baggage reclaim belts. The runway has one rapid-exit taxiway (RET) and 4 holding bays. It is equipped with precision approach instrument ILS CAT I at threshold 23 and non-precision instrument DVOR/DME.
Airlines and destinations
|easyJet||Bristol, London–Gatwick, London–Southend|
|Flybe||Seasonal charter: Southampton (begins 29 June 2019)|
|Jet2.com||Seasonal: Birmingham (begins 22 May 2020), Leeds/Bradford (begins 29 March 2019), London–Stansted (begins 1 May 2020),  Manchester (begins 1 April 2019)|
|Norwegian Air Shuttle||Seasonal: Bergen (begins 19 June 2019), Oslo–Gardermoen (begins 3 April 2019), Stavanger (begins 18 June 2019), Trondheim (begins 22 June 2019)|
|Ryanair|| Birmingham, Dublin, East Midlands, Leeds/Bradford, London–Luton, London–Stansted, Manchester |
Seasonal: Bournemouth (begins 1 April 2019), Glasgow–Prestwick (begins 1 April 2019), Palma de Mallorca (begins 1 June 2019)
|Smartwings||Seasonal: Prague (begins 14 May 2019)|
|TUI fly Belgium||Antwerp, Charleroi|
|Volotea||Seasonal: Asturias (begins 30 May 2019)|
- ""Corvera Airport Open 2017" - Tumbit News Story". tumbit.com.
- "Corvera airport management contract withdrawn from Aeromur". murciatoday.com.
- "Murcia's Corvera Airport 'Will NOT open 2016' - Tumbit News Story". tumbit.com.
- "Murcia president reiterates the need for Corvera airport to open". murciatoday.com.
- "Timetables". easyjet.com. Retrieved 27 September 2018.
- "Destinations". loloflights.com.
- "Jet2 to relocate Murcia ops from 1Q19 as San Javier closes". ch-aviation. Retrieved 2 May 2018.
- "Norwegian expands seasonal Corvera service in S19". routesonline.com.
- "Route map". ryanair.com. Retrieved 21 November 2018.
- "Corvera-Mallorca flights begin on 1st June". Murcia Today. 11 March 2019.
- "Flight Schedule". smartwings.com.
- "Murcia Corvera Flight Plan". tuifly.be.
- "Destinations". volotea.com.
- aena.es - Transport and car park retrieved 19 January 2019