SANDF Regiment Overvaal emblem
|Motto(s)||Ense Et Aratro Serving in war and peace|
|OC 1969-1973||Commandant R.D.J. Coetzee|
|OC 1973-1983||Commandant L. Human|
|OC 1983-1988||Commandant P.J. Viljoen|
|OC 1988-1991||Commandant P.J. Roetz|
|OC 1991-1997||Lt Colonel J.C. Zelie|
|Collar Badge||Bursting grenade with seven flames|
|Beret Colour||Oxford Blue|
|Beret bar circa 1992|
Regiment Overvaal is a reserve force regiment of the South African Army Air Defence Artillery Formation.
8 Light Anti-Aircraft (8 LAA) was established in 1969 as a Medium Light Anti-Aircraft Regiment and was based on the Vereeniging Military Base. The unit was established without any troops. P Battery of Regiment Vaalrivier was therefore subsequently transferred on 1 October 1969 to form 8 LAA.
Major R.D.J. Coetzee was appointed as the acting Commanding Officer on formation of the unit and was accompanied by 420 members consisting of:
- 11 officers (2 majors, 1 captain, 3 lieutenants and 5 second lieutenants)
- 40 NCOs (1 WO2, 6 sergeants, 22 bombardiers and 11 lance-bombardiers)
- 369 Gunners
8 LAA was renamed on 27 April 1973 as Regiment Overvaal.
Regiment Overvaal fell under the regional durisdiction of Witwatersrand Command from 1969 to 1974.
Regiment Overvaal was assigned to support 8th Armoured Division from 1974 to 1984.
Regiment Overvaal then was assigned to Far Northern Command from 1984 to 1987.
The regiment was finally returned to 8th Armoured Division from 1987 to 1997.
Freedom of Entry
The Regiment was awarded the Right and Privilege of Freedom of Entry into Vereeniging on the 6 September 1986 with Commandant. P.J. Viljoen accepting that honour. This Freedom was exercised in the 15 September 1990 with Commandant. P.J.Roetz commanding.
Regiment Overvaal is a unit which executes the Anti-Aircraft task independently, or in support of other arms using radar controlled Oerlikon GDF guns. These cannon can be used in all-weather conditions against low flying aircraft and can, if necessary be used in a ground role as well.
- Ops Savannah 1976 (SWA)
- Sector 10 – 1979/1980/1981 (SWA)
- Sector 10 – 1983/1984 (SWA)
- Ops Pebble – 1984/1985/1986 (Soutpansberg Military Area – Far North Command)
- Ops Hilti – 1988 (81 Brigade - (SWA))
- Ops Eardrum – 1990 (Pietermaritzburg – Natal Command)
- Ops Jambu – 1994 (eShowe – Natal Command)
|1969||Cmdt R.D.J. Coetzee JCD||1973|
|1973||Cmdt L. Human MMM JCD||1983|
|1983||Cmdt P.J. Viljoen MMM JCD||1988|
|1988||Cmdt P.J. Roetz MMM JCD||1991|
|1991||Lt Col J.C. Zelie MMM||1997|
|From||Regimental Sergeants Major||To|
|1969||WO1 C.S. Feldtmann MMM||1984|
|1984||WO1 G.D.J. Beukes MMM JCD||1988|
|1988||WO1 F.J. du Plooy MMM||1991|
|1991||WO1 J.J.G. Greyling JCD||1994|
|1994||WO1 J. Klonarides JCD||1997|
- REGIMENT VAALRIVIER EENHEIDSORDER (DEEL 2) NR. 15/69. South African Army Orders.
- Schoeman, Johan. "South African Unit Profiles". War in Angola. Retrieved 30 July 2016.
- Zelie, Lt Col. J.C. History of Regiment Overvaal. Unpublished Manuscript.