Regina Cassandra at the launch of Aankhen 2, 2016
|Born||13 December 1990 |
|Residence||Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India|
Regina Cassandra is an Indian film actress, active primarily in Tamil and Telugu films. She started anchoring when she was nine for Splash, a kids' channel and then moved on to work in commercials. She also acted in several short films, most notably Balaji Mohan's Kadhalil Sodhappuvadhu Yeppadi alongside Adith Arun, which was later made into a feature film in 2012 under the same name.
Regina was born in Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India on 13 December 1990. She completed Bachelor of Science in Psychology from Women's Christian College, Chennai. She made her on screen debut with the Tamil Movie Kanda Naal Mudhal (2005) as Latha and Her Telugu Debut Shiva Manasulo Shruti (2012). Regina Cassandra has received SIIMA Award for Best Female debut Actress.
Regina started anchoring when she was nine for Splash, a kids' channel and then moved on to work in commercials. Aged 16, she shot for her first film, Kanda Naal Mudhal directed by V. Priya, which also starred Prasanna, Laila and Karthik Kumar. In the film, Regina portrayed Latha, the 21-year-old pregnant sister of Laila's character, and has since mentioned that people still find it hard to believe it was her in that role, as she was very young and wore no make-up. She then appeared alongside fellow newcomer Yogi in Azhagiya Asura, which won good reviews. However the film's low-key release meant that the film failed to gain attention, so she took time out from films and then went on to graduate in psychology from Women's Christian College, Chennai and took another year off before taking a final call on joining movies. During her break she also acted in several short films, most notably Balaji Mohan's Kadhalil Sodhappuvadhu Yeppadi alongside Adith Arun, which was later made into a feature film in 2012 under the same name.
Regina was next seen in the Kannada film Suryakaanti by director K. M. Chaitanya of Aa Dinagalu fame. The film featured her alongside actor Chetan, and as she could not speak Kannada, she was told to act out scenes in English and add Kannada to it. The film won good reviews and performed moderately at the box office. It was announced that she would feature in the Tamil film Maalai Pozhudhin Mayakathilaey alongside Adith Arun, but the film was eventually delayed and then restarted with a fresh cast. In 2012, she appeared in Shiva Manasulo Shruti by Tatineni Sathya, which was a remake of the 2009 Tamil film Siva Manasula Sakthi. She was next seen in the Telugu romantic-comedy, Routine Love Story, alongside Sundeep Kishan, which she signed even before her first release in Telugu.
In 2013 she had two Tamil releases, Kedi Billa Killadi Ranga by Pandiraj, in which she was one of the two lead actresses, and Nirnayam in which she played a vital role. Although the former proved successful at the box office, she did not sign more films in Tamil and instead shifted her focus to Telugu films. Kotha Janta directed by Maruthi was Regina's first 2014 release. She received positive response for her performance in the film. Deccan Chronicle wrote, "The star of the film is undoubtedly Regina Cassandra. She looks cute and bubbly and delivers a delightful performance. She has done her character with ease and with the right expressions". Her next releases were Ra Ra... Krishnayya, which saw her reuniting with Sundeep Kishan, and Power in which she played a Bengali girl. Power was declared as one of the biggest blockbusters of the year and this is the biggest hit in Regina's career till date.She played the lead role opposite Sai Dharam Tej in Pilla Nuvvu Leni Jeevitam directed by AS Ravi Kumar Chowdary. Her first 2015 release was the heist thriller Rajathandhiram which featured her as an Anglo-Indian girl named Michelle D' Mello. Her look in the film was revealed through social media, upon release the film met with positive reviews and was a hit at box office. In Telugu, she starred in two films Subramanyam For Sale opposite Sai Dharam Tej marking her second collaboration with him, the film opened to positive reviews with critics and audience praising her portrayal of character "Seeta" as an independent, confident yet sensitive in nature and also the onscreen pair with Sai Dharam Tej, later the movie was commercially successful at box office.Her final release in the year was Soukhyam opened to negative reviews and failed at box office.
In 2016, she starred in three Telugu films, Shourya opposite Manchu Manoj was opened to mixed reviews and was an average grosser at box office, followed by Jyo Achyutananda opposite Nara Rohit and Naga Shourya was opened to positive reviews and garned her a nomination at SIIMA Award for Best Actress — Telugu and Shankara opposite Nara Rohit was opened to mixed reviews and failed at box office.
In 2017, she starred in three Tamil films. Her first release was the hyperlink anthology Maanagaram opposite Sundeep Kishan, which opened to critical acclaim and was successful at the box office. It was followed by Saravanan Irukka Bayamaen opposite Udhayanidhi Stalin and Gemini Ganeshanum Suruli Raajanum opposite Atharvaa. Nakshatram opposite Sundeep Kishan opened to mixed reviews and underperformed at the box office. She has completed filming gothic horror Nenjam Marappathillai opposite S. J. Surya and Balakrishnudu opposite Nara Rohith, and is currently filming Silukkuvarupatti Singam opposite Vishnu Vishal, Party opposite Jai and Mr. Chandramouli opposite Gautham Karthik. She was a part of the multistarrer Awe in which she played the role of a drug abuser. She received high praise by the audience and the critics for that role.
|2005||Kanda Naal Mudhal||Latha||Tamil|
|2008||Panchamirtham||Goddess Sita||Tamil||Cameo appearance|
|2012||Shiva Manasulo Shruti||Shruti||Telugu||SIIMA Award for Best Debut Actress — Telugu|
|Routine Love Story||Tanvi||Telugu|
|2013||Kedi Billa Killadi Ranga||Paappa||Tamil|
|Ra Ra... Krishnayya||Nandu||Telugu|
|Pilla Nuvvu Leni Jeevitam||Shailaja||Telugu|
|2015||Rajathandhiram||Michelle D' Mello||Tamil|
|Subramanyam For Sale||Seetha||Telugu|
|Jyo Achyutananda||Jyotsna||Telugu||Nominated-SIIMA Award for Best Actress — Telugu|
|Saravanan Irukka Bayamaen||Thenmozhi||Tamil|
|Gemini Ganeshanum Suruli Raajanum||Lavanya||Tamil|
|2019||Ek Ladki Ko Dekha Toh Aisa Laga||Kuhu (love interest of Sweety)||Hindi||Bollywood debut|
- 'Telugu films are my priority': Regina Cassandra Deccanchronicle.com (3 May 2014) Retrieved on 2015-04-28
- "The new livewire on the block". Postnoon. 7 February 2012. Retrieved 31 December 2012.
- "Azhagiya Asura Tamil Movie Review – cinema preview stills gallery trailer video clips showtimes". IndiaGlitz. 2 January 2007. Retrieved 31 December 2012.
- Y. Sunita Chowdhary (10 May 2011). "Navigation News : Model moves". The Hindu. Archived from the original on 18 July 2012. Retrieved 31 December 2012.
- "Cinema Plus / Columns : Working vacation". The Hindu. 17 April 2009. Retrieved 31 December 2012.
- SHARADHA SRINIDHI, 12 April 2009, 12.00am IST (12 April 2009). "Chetan is a very handsome Kannada hero: Regina – Times Of India". Articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com. Retrieved 31 December 2012.CS1 maint: Multiple names: authors list (link)
- "Assistant Directors launch Production – Tamil Movie News". IndiaGlitz. 5 February 2010. Retrieved 31 December 2012.
- "Cassandra's having a great time in Tollywood – Times Of India". Articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com. 21 November 2011. Retrieved 31 December 2012.
- "Kedi Billa Killadi Ranga completes 100 days! – The Times of India". Timesofindia.indiatimes.com. 5 July 2013. Retrieved 3 January 2015.
- "Allu Sirish-Regina film is Kotta Janta". Times of India. Retrieved 17 May 2013.
- Regina on a high after Kotha Janta – The Times of India. Timesofindia.indiatimes.com (5 May 2014). Retrieved on 2015-04-28.
- Movie review Kotha Janta: It’s Regina all the way!. Deccanchronicle.com (2 May 2014). Retrieved on 2015-04-28.
- Sundeep and Regina to pair up again – The Times of India. Timesofindia.indiatimes.com (12 August 2013). Retrieved on 2015-04-28.
- Sangeetha Devi Dundoo (3 July 2014). "Krishnayya arrives". The Hindu. Retrieved 3 January 2015.
- "Regina to romance Sai Dharam Tej". Times of India. Retrieved 15 January 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Regina Cassandra.|