Reginald (given name)
|See also||Ragnall, Reinhold, Ronald, Rex|
Etymology and history
The meaning of Reginald is “King". The name is derived from the Latin Reginaldus, which has been influenced by the Latin word regina, meaning "queen". This Latin name is a Latinisation of a Germanic language name. This Germanic name is composed of two elements: the first ragin, meaning "advice", "counsel", "decision"; the second element is wald, meaning "rule", "ruler". The Old German form of the name is Raginald; Old French forms are Reinald and Reynaud.
Forms of this Germanic name were first brought to the British Isles by Scandinavians, in the form of the Old Norse Rögnvaldr. This name was later reinforced by the arrival of the Normans in the 11th century, in the Norman forms Reinald and Reynaud.
The Latin Reginaldus was used as a Latin form of cognate names, such as the Old Norse Rögnvaldr, and the Gaelic Ragnall and Raghnall.
- Afrikaans: Ryno
- Ancient Germanic: Raginald, Reinald, Reinhold
- Ancient Scandinavian: Ragnvaldr
- Arabic: ريجنالد (Ryǧināld)
- Belarusian: Рэджынальд (Redžynaĺd)
- Bulgarian: Реджиналд (Redzhinald)
- Catalan: Renald
- Chinese: 雷金纳德 (Léijīnnàdé) (雷金納德)
- Danish: Ragnvald
- Dutch: Reinoud, Reinout
- Finnish: Reino
- Filipino: Regino
- French: Renaud, Renoir, Renouard, Reynaud
- German: Reinhold
- Gujarati: રેજિનાલ્ડ (Rējinālḍa)
- Hebrew: רג'ינלד (Rejinald)
- Hindi: रेगीनाल्ड (Rēgīnālḍa)
- Icelandic: Rögnvaldur
- Irish: Raghnall
- Italian: Rinaldo
- Japanese: レジナルド (Rejinarudo)
- Kannada: ರೆಜಿನಾಲ್ಡ್ (Rejinālḍ)
- Korean: 레지날드 (Rejinaldeu)
- Latin: Reginaldus
- Macedonian: Реџиналд (Redžinald)
- Middle Irish: Ragnall
- Mongolian: Режиналд (Ryejinald)
- Norwegian: Ragnvald
- Old French: Reinald, Reynaud
- Old German: Raginald
- Old Irish: Ragnall
- Old Norse: Rögnvaldr
- Persian: رجینالد
- Polish: Reginald
- Portuguese: Reginaldo, Reinaldo, Reynaldo, Ronaldo
- Punjabi: ਰੇਜਿਨਾਲਡ (Rējinālaḍa)
- Russian: Рогволод (Rogvolod)
- Scottish Gaelic: Raghnall
- Serbian: Региналд (Reginald)
- Spanish: Reinaldo, Reynaldo
- Swedish: Ragnvald
- Tamil: ரெஜினால்டு (Rejiṉālṭu)
- Telugu: రెజినాల్డ్ (Rejinālḍ)
- Thai: เรจินัล (Recinạl)
- Ukrainian: Реджинальд (Redzhynalʹd)
- Welsh: Rheinallt
- Yiddish: רעגינאַלד (Reginald)
Use and popularity
- Reginald Wayne "Reggie" Miller, former basketball player for the Indiana Pacers
- Reginald Martinez "Reggie" Jackson Former Baseball player[circular reference]
- Reginald Arvizu of Korn, nicknamed "Fieldy"
- Reginald Askew (1928–2012), British Anglican priest and academic
- Reginald Bonham, an English blind chess player
- Reginald Bosanquet (1932–1984), British television newsreader best known for presenting News At Ten
- Reginald of Canterbury, medieval French writer around 1200
- Raynald of Châtillon, also known as Reginald of Châtillon, a knight in the Second Crusade and Prince of Antioch
- Reginald Denny (actor), English stage, film, and television actor
- Reginald Oliver Denny, the truck driver nearly beaten to death during the Los Angeles riots in 1992
- James Dewees, musician nicknamed "Reggie"
- Reginald Kenneth Dwight, best known as Elton John
- Reginald Sims, Hockey player, and tough guy and captain for the Holy Shots.
- Reginald Earnshaw (1927–1941), believed to be the youngest person in the British services to have died in World War II
- Reginald Fessenden (1866–1932), inventor who performed pioneering experiments in radio
- Reg Fleming (1936–2009), professional hockey player in the National Hockey League with six NHL teams
- Reginald D. Hunter, American comedian, living and working in Britain
- Reginald Kray (1933–2000), one of the Kray twins, English criminals
- Reg Keys, British anti-war campaigner and parliamentary candidate
- Reginald Noble, best known as Redman
- Reginald Owen (1887-1972), British character actor known for many roles in British and American films and later in television.
- Reginald Pole (1500-1558), English Archbishop of Canterbury and cardinal
- Reginald Punnett, British geneticist
- Reg Saunders (1920–1990), Australian army officer
- Reginald Varney (1916–2008), best known as Reg Varney
- Reginald VelJohnson, American actor
- Reginald I, Count of Bar, Count of Bar (1105–1149)
- Reginald I, Count of Burgundy (986–1057), second Count of the Free County of Burgundy
- Reginald of Burgundy (died 1321), count of Montbéliard from 1282 to 1321
- Reginald of Sweden (disambiguation), multiple people
- Reginald, Bishop of the Isles, (died 1226), Bishop of the Isles
- Sir Reginald "Rex" Harrison, English actor
- Andy "Reginald" Dinh, Entrepreneur and former League of Legends pro.
- Reginald, fictional character in Saki's short stories
- Reginald, nemesis and cousin of Richie Rich in the movie and comic books
- Reginald Barclay, recurring character in the Star Trek fictional universe
- Reginald Bunthorne, the main character of the Gilbert and Sullivan opera Patience
- Bushroot, Reginald Bushroot, supervillain in the Disney television series Darkwing Duck
- Reginald Deadman, police constable in the British television sitcom Goodnight Sweetheart
- Reggie Mantle, the fictional character in Archie Comics
- Reginald Perrin, the main character of a series of novels by David Nobbs, and The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin, the popular BBC-commissioned 1970s comedy based upon it
- Reginald Jeeves, known mostly by his last name only, the personal servant to Bertie Wooster in a series of short stories and novels by P. G. Wodehouse
- Reginald Fox, cartoon character (a fox) created by Tex Avery (MGM) in 1949, stars with Droopy in Outfoxed, MGM cartoons, 1949
- Reginald "Reg" Hollis, a long-standing fictional police constable in the British television series The Bill
- Reginald "Bubbles" Cousins, fictional character in the American television series The Wire
- Reginald, a fictional koala bear in American Dad!, voiced by Erik Durbin
- Harvey Reginald Specter, named partner at Pearson Specter from the TV series Suits
- Reggie Wylie, Gerty MacDowell's sweetheart in short trousers in James Joyce's Ulysses
- Chief Inspector Reginald Wexford, the protagonist in a series of mysteries by Ruth Rendell
- General Reginald Peter Skarr, character in Evil Con Carne and The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy.
- Reginald “Belch” Huggins, a minor antagonist in Stephen King’s 1986 novel It.
- Reginald “Red” Forman, a character from That 70s Show.
- Reginald Roach (Reg, Reggie), a character from "Roboroach" cartoon.
- Reginald, a character from "Woody Woodpecker" cartoon.
- Chief Superintendent Reginald Bright, character in the Endeavour TV series.
- What does Reginald Mean?, thenamemeaning.com
- Learn about the family history of your surname, Ancestry.com, retrieved 2 November 2010 which cited: Dictionary of American Family Names, Oxford University Press, ISBN 0-19-508137-4 for the surname "Reynold".
- Hanks, Patrick; Hardcastle, Kate; Hodges, Flavia (2006), A Dictionary of First Names, Oxford Paperback Reference (2nd ed.), Oxford: Oxford University Press, p. 228, ISBN 978-0-19-861060-1
- Reaney, Percy Hilde; Wilson, Richard Middlewood (2006), A Dictionary of English Surnames (3rd ed.), London: Routledge, p. 2626, ISBN 0-203-99355-1
- McDonald, RA (2007). Manx Kingship in its Irish Sea Setting, 1187–1229: King Rǫgnvaldr and the Crovan Dynasty. Dublin: Four Courts Press. p. 13. ISBN 978-1-84682-047-2.
- House of Names: Renouard
- Reggie Jackson
|given name. If an internal link led you here, you may wish to change that link to point directly to the intended article.This page or section lists people that share the same|