Michael Fisher (bishop)
|The Right Reverend
|Bishop of St Germans|
|Diocese||Diocese of Truro|
|Other posts||Bishop to HM Prisons|
|Birth name||Reginald Lindsay Fisher|
6 April 1918|
Streatham, County of London, United Kingdom
|Died||5 December 2003
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Early life and education
In 1978, he was awarded a Lambeth MA.
Fisher was ordained in 1954 after studying at Westcott House, Cambridge. He worked initially with the Student Christian Movement and was then successively the Guardian of Alnmouth Friary, Minister General of the Society of Saint Francis and general secretary of the United Society for the Propagation of the Gospel (USPG).
Fisher was consecrated a suffragan bishop in 1979.
Involvement with abuse
A 2016 Church of England enquiry reported that in 1976 Fisher had behaved inappropriately when a young man approached him concerning sadistic abuse that he had suffered from another clergyman. Fisher initiated an "intense romantic relationship" with the young man, who told the enquiry that he felt that it was a bad response to a young man looking for help. He commented:
[It] added another layer to the complexity of abuse. At the time, it didn’t occur to me that this charismatic figure was abusing me spiritually and emotionally.
For a brief period Fisher deputised for the Bishop of Truro when Graham Leonard was translated to be the Bishop of London. He retired in 1985, serving subsequently as Minister General of the Society of St Francis.
In the last part of his life he lived at the Franciscans' house in Cambridge where he had a ministry as adviser and spiritual director to a large number of people and regularly celebrated and preached at St Bene't's Church. He published his memoirs, For the Time Being, in 1993 as Michael Fisher SSF (combining his name in religion with his surname).
- "Who was Who" 1897–2007. London: A & C Black. 1991. ISBN 978-0-19-954087-7.
- The Times, 1 September 1978; p. 14; Issue 60395; col C
- Crockford's Clerical Directory (86th ed.). London: Oxford University Press. 1976. ISBN 0-19-200008-X.
- "RIP – Michael SSF". franciscans.org.uk. Retrieved 24 March 2015.
- Church of England figures ignored 'sadistic' abuse of 15-year-old boy by senior priest for 40 years, report says The Independent
- Fisher, Michael (1993). For the Time Being. Leominster: Gracewing. ISBN 0852442424. Retrieved 24 March 2015.
- "The Right Reverend Michael Fisher". The Telegraph. 9 December 2003. Retrieved 24 March 2015.
- "The Right Rev Michael Fisher, SSF". The Times. 16 December 2003. Retrieved 24 March 2015.
|Church of England titles|
|Bishop of St Germans
|Bishop to HM Prisons
|This article about a Church of England bishop is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|