Sir Reginald Powell Croom-Johnson KC (1879 – 29 December 1957) was a British barrister, judge, and Conservative Party member of Parliament for Bridgwater. He was a noted philatelist with a specialist collection of the stamps of the British Solomon Islands.
Early life and family
Reginald Croom-Johnson was born in Bristol in 1879. He was educated at Bristol Cathedral School and London University (LLB). He married Ruby Ernestine Hobbs in 1909 and they had two sons, one of whom was killed on active service in 1940.
Croom-Johnson began his career as a solicitor in 1901. He was called to the bar, Inner Temple, in 1907 and appointed Kings Counsel in 1927. He was recorder of Bath 1928–38. From October 1938 to January 1954, he was a judge in the King's Bench Division of the High Court of Justice. Later, he was a justice of the peace for Somerset and deputy chairman of the Quarter Sessions.
First World War
During the First World War he assisted in raising the Old Boys' Corps. He was a lieutenant in the King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry and subsequently attached to the Judge Advocate-General's Department for special services in connection with the Mesopotamia Commission.
In 1929, he was elected the Conservative Member of Parliament (MP) for Bridgwater. In 1938, he resigned his seat after being appointed a justice of the High Court. His resignation precipitated the 1938 Bridgwater by-election.
Croom-Johnson was a noted philatelist with a specialised collection of the stamps of the British Solomon Islands and wrote a book on that subject that was published in 1927. He also wrote a hobby guide to stamp collecting. While still a junior barrister, he represented Jonas Lek in 1926 in his claim against his insurers for items lost from a valuable stamp collection.
Croom-Johnson was the chairman of the original committee for the foundation of Stowe School and wrote a book about its origins that was published in 1953. He was a member of the Carlton and Garrick clubs. He was a member of the council of the Men of the Trees.
Death and legacy
- Postage-Stamp Collecting ... Illustrated. Bazaar, Exchange & Mart, London, 1923.
- Stamps of the British Solomon Islands (les timbres-poste des Iles Salomon). Editrice Filatelica (Collana di Pubblicazioni Filateliche 16), Turin, 1928.
- The origin of Stowe School. W.S. Cowell, Ipswich & London, 1953.
- Sir Reginald Powell Croom-Johnson. National Portrait Gallery. Retrieved 8 October 2017.
- Reginald Powell Croom-Johnson England and Wales Census, 1911. Family Search. Retrieved 8 October 2017.
- CROOM-JOHNSON, Hon. Sir Reginald Powell. Who Was Who, A & C Black, online edition, Oxford University Press, 2014. Accessed 8 October 2017.
- "Obituary: Sir Reginald Croom-Johnson", Gibbons Stamp Monthly, Vol. 31, No. 6 (February 1958), p. 71.
- Hansard 1803–2005: contributions in Parliament by Reginald Croom-Johnson
- Portraits of Reginald Croom-Johnson at the National Portrait Gallery, London
|Parliament of the United Kingdom|
Brooks Crompton Wood
|Member of Parliament for Bridgwater