Capital Region of Denmark
|Capital Region of Denmark
|Region of Denmark|
|• Chairman||Sophie Hæstorp Andersen (Social Democrats)|
|• Total||2,568.29 km2 (991.62 sq mi)|
|Population (1 April 2016)|
|• Density||700/km2 (1,800/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
|- Total||$106 billion|
|- Per capita||$61,000()|
The Capital Region of Denmark (Danish: Region Hovedstaden) is the easternmost administrative region of Denmark, established on January 1, 2007 as part of the 2007 Danish Municipal Reform, which replaced the traditional counties (Danish plural: amter, singular: amt) with five larger regions. At the same time, smaller municipalities were merged into larger units, cutting the number of municipalities from 271 before 1 January 2006, when Ærø Municipality was created, to 98. The reform was implemented on January 1, 2007.
The Capital Region of Denmark consists of the municipalities of Copenhagen and Frederiksberg, the former counties of Copenhagen and Frederiksborg, and the regional municipality of Bornholm. In Danish the name is Region Hovedstaden, which is one of five regions in Denmark.
Without the remote island municipality Bornholm, located 150 km (93 mi) southeast of Copenhagen and directly east of Vordingborg Municipality (across the Baltic Sea), the population is over 1,700,000 (January 1, 2014) on an area of 1,978.91 km² (764 sq. m.) (according to www.noegletal.dk) with a density of over 860 per km² (2,230 per sq m), as opposed to over 680 (1,760) with all 29 municipalities included.
The primary function of Capital Region of Denmark, as with all the regions of Denmark, is to own and operate the hospitals of the region.
The following hospitals sort under Capital Region of Denmark.
- Amager Hospital on the island of Amager, Copenhagen
- Bispebjerg Hospital in Copenhagen
- Bornholms Hospital on the island of Bornholm
- Frederiksberg Hospital in Frederiksberg
- Gentofte Hospital in Gentofte
- Glostrup Hospital in Glostrup
- Herlev Hospital in Herlev
- Hvidovre Hospital in Hvidovre
- Nordsjællands Hospital in Esbønderup, Frederikssund, Hillerød, Elsinore, and Hørsholm
- Region Hovedstadens Psykiatri – psychiatric hospital with many centers around the region
- Rigshospitalet in Copenhagen
- Sct. Hans Hospital in Roskilde
Media related to Region Hovedstaden at Wikimedia Commons