Regions of Chad
|This article is part of a series on the
politics and government of
Regions since 2012
This is a list of the regions of Chad since 2012 with population figures from the 2009 census.
From independence in 1960 until 1999 it was divided into 14 préfectures. These were replaced in 1999 by 28 départements. The country was reorganized again in 2002 to produce 18 régions. In 2008, a further four régions were created, increasing the number to 22. Ennedi Region was split into Ennedi-Est and Ennedi-Ouest in 2012, producing the current 23 regions.
(1) created in 2004
Regions created in 2008
On February 19, 2008, four new regions were created:
- Former Borkou-Ennedi-Tibesti region divided into:
- Split from the Kanem Region:
- Split from Ouaddaï Region
- Law, Gwillim. "Regions of Chad". Statoids. Retrieved 15 June 2015.
- "Deuxième Recensement Général de la Population et de l'Habititat (RGPH2, 2009)" [Second General Census of Population and Housing] (PDF) (in French). République du Tchad - Institut national de la statistique, des études économiques et démographiques (INSEED). February 2012.
- "Décret 11-530 2011-06-01 PR/PM/MCD/11: Décret fixant le nombre des conseillers municipaux des Communes chefs-leix des Régions et des Départements" [Decree fixing the number of municipal councilors of Chief towns of Regions and of Departments]. Légitchad (in French). République du Tchad - Le Conseil des Ministres [Republic of Chad - Council of Ministers]. 1 June 2011. Archived from the original on 1 September 2012.
- "List provisoire des candidats aux elections legislatives" [Provisional list of candidates for legislative elections] (PDF). JournalDuTchad.com (in French). République du Tchad - Commission Électorale Nationale Indépendante (CENI) [Republic of Chad - National Independent Electoral Commission]. Archived from the original (PDF) on 1 September 2012.
- Déby, Idriss (4 September 2012). "Ordonnance No. 27/PR/2012" (PDF). Republic of Chad. Archived from the original (PDF) on May 21, 2016. Retrieved 14 June 2015.
- "Ordonnance n° 002/PR/08 portant restructuration de certaines collectivités territoriales décentralisées" [Ordinance No. 002/PR/08 on restructuring of certain decentralized local authorities]. Government of Chad. 19 February 2008. Archived from the original on March 4, 2013.
- Décret n° 419/PR/MAT/02 (17 October 2002), concerning the creation of the régions
- Ordonnance n° 002/PR/08 portant restructuration de certaines collectivités territoriales décentralisées (19 February 2008), concerning the creation of new régions in 2008
- "Chad Map No. 3788 Rev. 8 United Nations / March 2009 (Colour)" (PDF). United Nations Cartographic Section, Department of Field Support. 2009. External link in
- "Carte administrative du Tchad" [Administrative map of Chad] (JPG). United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA). 2011. External link in