Regions of Somaliland
|This article is part of a series on the
politics and government of
Between March 22 and May 15, 2008, then President of Somaliland Dahir Riyale Kahin issued a press statement announcing the creation of six new regions and 16 new districts, in addition to the corresponding administrative divisions already existing as created by Somalia's central government. On May 15, 2008, Kahin released a second statement declaring the Hawd the thirteenth state of Somaliland. In June 2014, Somaliland president Ahmed Mohamed Mohamoud announced the creation of Somaliland's 14th region, consisting of 4 new districts. The new region, dubbed Haysimo was formed out of the eastern Sool and Sanaag regional districts. It contains the cities of Taleh, Sarmanyo, Godaalo, Hallin, and Aroley. The presidential decree stated that Taleh is the regional capital. 8 regions created by President Dahir rayale and Silanyo were not approved by parliament because the new regional boundaries are not clearly demarcated.
Currently Somaliland is divided in 6 regions, Awdal, Saahil, Maroodi-Jeeh, Toghdeer, Sanaag and Sool. This is in accordance with 2 political studies published on Somaliland in 2011 and 2015 and ActionAID, a humanitarian organization currently active in Somaliland.
|1||Awdal||Borama||Baki -Zeila -Lughaya -Borama|
|2||Sahil||Berbera||Sheekh -Ma-dheera -Bulahaar -Xaggal|
|3||Woqooyi Galbeed||Hargeisa||Gabiley -Hargeysa||4||Togdheer||Burao||Odwayne -Buuhoodle -Duruqsi -Sh. Xasan Geelle -Qoryaale|
|5||Sanaag||Erigabo||El Afweyn -Badhan -Lasqoray -Dhahar -Garadag-Maydh -Darar-weyne -Fiqifulliye -Xiis|
|6||Sool||Las Anod||Aynabo -Taleh -Xudun -Bo'ame -Yagori|
- "Madaxweynaha oo Gobol Cusub U Magacaabay Baligubadle". Archived from the original on 7 December 2008.
- "Somalia: Somaliland President names historic town of Taleh as New Region". Garowe Online. Retrieved 3 August 2014.
- http://www.actionaid.org ActionAid International Somaliland (AAIS) supports poor and marginalised communities in three of six Somaliland administrative regions
- State Formation in Somaliland: Bringing Deliberation to Institutionalism. Michael Walls, Planning Unit, UCL February 2011http://discovery.ucl.ac.uk/1302550/1/1302550.pdf
- Somaliland: The Strains of Success Crisis Group Africa Briefing N°113 Nairobi/Brussels, 5 October 2015 https://d2071andvip0wj.cloudfront.net/b113-somaliland-the-strains-of-success.pdf
- Somaliland's Quest for International Recognition and the HBM-SSC Factor Archived 2012-05-28 at the Wayback Machine.
- "Awdal "Republic": Declaration of Independence, [Somalia]". University of Pennsylvania - African Studies Center. Archived from the original on 14 February 2007. Retrieved 2007-01-29.