|• Total||6.72 km2 (2.59 sq mi)|
|Elevation||958 m (3,143 ft)|
|Population (Dec 2016)|
|• Density||260/km2 (680/sq mi)|
|Surrounded by||Eggersriet (SG), Grub, Heiden, Speicher, Trogen, Wald|
The municipality is located in the former District of Vorderland. It consists of the village of Rehetobel and several hamlets and scattered farm houses.
Rehetobel is located south of the mountain Gupf. On average the village enjoys the longest hours of sunshine in Switzerland. The lowest elevation is Achmüli (610 m (2,000 ft)), the highest is Kaienspitz (1,121 m (3,678 ft)).
The area was settled in the 12th and 13th century. The name Rehentobel was first mentioned in 1463 as an das Rechtobel. In 1669 the church was built, which meant independence from the village of Trogen. The church was rebuilt in 1737.
The village was destroyed in a fire on 9 April 1796. The church was saved, but a total of 20 buildings were destroyed. In 1854 a house for the poor was established. It is today used as a nursery.
On 28 June 1890 the church was destroyed in a fire, but by 1892 a new church was built.
Rehetobel has a population (as of 2008[update]) of 1,680, of which about 7.9% are foreign nationals. Over the last 10 years the population has grown at a rate of 2.1%. Most of the population (as of 2000[update]) speaks German (97.1%), with Spanish being second most common ( 0.6%) and Portuguese being third ( 0.4%).
As of 2000[update], the gender distribution of the population was 47.6% male and 52.4% female. The age distribution, as of 2000[update], in Rehetobel is; 141 people or 8.1% of the population are between 0–6 years old. 201 people or 11.5% are 6-15, and 84 people or 4.8% are 16-19. Of the adult population, 64 people or 3.7% of the population are between 20–24 years old. 508 people or 29.2% are 25-44, and 404 people or 23.2% are 45-64. The senior population distribution is 220 people or 12.6% of the population are between 65–79 years old, and 120 people or 6.9% are over 80.
There are approximately 700 working places in the village. Trade and industry make up 40%, agriculture 9%, and the service sector employs 51%. Agriculture consists of dairy farming and cattle breeding.
Rehetobel has an unemployment rate of 1.11%. As of 2005[update], there were 61 people employed in the primary economic sector and about 30 businesses involved in this sector. 144 people are employed in the secondary sector and there are 29 businesses in this sector. 320 people are employed in the tertiary sector, with 58 businesses in this sector.
- Arealstatistik Standard - Gemeindedaten nach 4 Hauptbereichen
- Swiss Federal Statistical Office - STAT-TAB, online database – Ständige und nichtständige Wohnbevölkerung nach institutionellen Gliederungen, Geburtsort und Staatsangehörigkeit (in German) accessed 30 August 2017
- Swiss Federal Statistical Office accessed 16-Sep-2009
- Rehetobel in German, French and Italian in the online Historical Dictionary of Switzerland.
- Brief Statistics for the half-canton Archived 2011-06-12 at the Wayback Machine. (in German) accessed 15 September 2009
- Appenzell Outer Rhodes website Archived 2009-09-13 at the Wayback Machine. (in German) accessed 15 September 2009
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Rehetobel.|
- Official Page (German)