|Pronunciation||similar to the English word "ray"|
|Word/name||Hebrew and Japanese|
|Meaning||Japanese: Different depending on the kanji used
Hebrew: my shepherd; my companion; my friend
|Region of origin|
- In Japanese, Rei can have different meanings depending on the kanji used
- In Hebrew, the name Rei (רעי Re`iY) originates in biblical texts which mean "my shepherd; my companion; my friend".
- In Hebrew, the word 'Rei' can be used for (or by) either gender, while in Japanese, Rei is generally only a given name for females. Rei can also be used as a surname.
Possible writings in Japanese
- 麗, "lovely, elegance, beautiful"
- 霊, "spirit, ghost"
- 例, "example"
- 零, "zero"
- 玲, "exquisite, clever, sound of jewels"
- 令, "rule, order"
- 礼, "etiquette, bow, gratitude"
- 怜, "wise"
- 鈴, "small bell"
- 嶺, "peak, summit"
- 黎, "black, dark, many"
- 澪, "water route, shipping canal"
- 励, "encourage"
- レイ, Rei written in katakana
- れい, Rei written in hiragana
- Rei (רעי), one of those who retained their allegiance to King David when Adonijah rebelled: 1 Kings 1:8
- Rei Berroa (born 1949), Dominican-American poet, university professor, literary and cultural critic, and translator
- Rei Hiroe (広江 礼威, born 1972), Japanese manga artist
- Rei Igarashi (大濱 貴子, born 1963), Japanese actress and voice actress
- Rei Kawakubo (川久保 玲, born 1942), Japanese fashion designer, founder of Comme des Garçons
- Rei Kikukawa (菊川 怜, born 1978), Japanese actress, model and television presenter
- Rei Mikamoto (三家本 礼), Japanese horror manga artist
- Rei Okamoto (岡本玲, born 1991), Japanese model and actress
- Rei Omishi (臣士れい), Japanese screenwriter and manga author/artist
- Reihaneh "Rei" Safavi-Naini (ريحانه صفوی نائينی), Iranian-born computer science professor
- Rei Sakuma (佐久間 レイ, born 1965), Japanese voice actor
- Pelé (born 1940), ("The King" (O Rei)), Brazilian association football player
- Eusébio (1942–2014), ("The King" (O Rei)), former Portuguese association football player
- José Fontana (footballer) (Rei, 1912–1986), Brazilian association football player
- Rei (wrestler), Hong Kong professional wrestler
- Rei Hasegawa (長谷川 霊, born 1993), italian painter and illustrator.
- Rei Ayanami, character from the anime and manga series Neon Genesis Evangelion, and the film The End of Evangelion
- Rei Hasekura, from the light novel series Maria-sama ga Miteru
- Rei Hino (Sailor Mars), one of the main characters in the Sailor Moon anime and manga series
- Rei Hizuki, a secondary character in Sky Girls
- Rei Kashino, a troubled playboy who is a professional motorcycle racer from the manga Mars
- Rei Kiriyama, a professional shōgi player who is the protagonist of the manga and anime series March Comes in Like a Lion
- Rei Kurosawa, a 23-year-old freelance photographer from the Fatal Frame video games
- Rei Miyamoto, a survivor in Highschool of the Dead
- Rei Houjou, alias Fifth in Mirai Nikki
- Rei (Breath of Fire character), from Breath of Fire III
- Rei (Fist of the North Star character)
- Rei Saotome (Blair Flannigan), a character in Yu-Gi-Oh! GX
- Rei Tachibana (aka Dynapink), from Kagaku Sentai Dynaman
- Rei Toei, from the Bridge trilogy novels
- Rei (Urusei Yatsura character)
- Rei the canine warrior from the PS2 game Ōkami
- Rei Ryghts, a character in the PS3 game Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory
- Rei Takashima, from the anime and manga series Deadman Wonderland
- Rei Furuya, from the anime and manga series Detective Conan
- Rei Ryugazaki, from the anime series Free! – Iwatobi Swim Club
- Rei Hōōmaru, from the anime series Kill la Kill
- Rei Suzuya (later changed his name to Juuzou Suzuya), from the anime and manga series Tokyo Ghoul
- Rei Ogami from anime and manga series Code:Breaker
- Rei Sagara from the anime and manga series Love Stage!!
- Rei from Nintendo 3DS game and manga Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth
- Rei, Iran, an ancient Zoroastrian city, now a suburb of Tehran
- Higurashi Rei, the third season of the anime Higurashi When They Cry
- Rei Momo (Carnival character)
- Rei Momo, a 1989 album
- Rei vindicatio, a legal action by which the plaintiff demands that the defendant return a thing that belongs to the plaintiff
- REI, FAA/IATA identifier for Redlands Municipal Airport a public use airport in Redlands, California
- Rei, Portuguese name for a King in Chess
- Radiation Effects in Insulators, an international conference held every second year since 1981
- REI, US retail corporation organized as a consumers' cooperative
- Reproductive endocrinology and infertility, a surgical subspecialty of obstetrics and gynecology
- Restricted Entry Interval, time interval after application of pesticide (on plants) during which ordinary persons (i e not wearing protective gear) are not supposed to enter the premises.
- Real Estate Investing
- Restricted Entry Intervals State of California, California Environmental Protection Agency, Department of Pesticide Regulation
|This disambiguation page lists articles associated with the title Rei.
If an internal link led you here, you may wish to change the link to point directly to the intended article.