Belmond Reid's Palace
|Belmond Reid's Palace|
View looking up to the main hotel building from the swimming pool.
|Location||Funchal, Madeira, Portugal|
|Design and construction|
|Architect||George Somers Clarke & John Thomas Micklethwaite|
|Number of rooms||128|
|Number of suites||35|
Belmond Reid's Palace (a.k.a. Reid's Palace) is a historic hotel located to the west of Funchal Bay in Madeira (Portugal), in an imposing position looking out over the Atlantic Ocean. The hotel has beautiful sloping gardens.
The hotel was designed by the architects George Somers Clarke and John Thomas Micklethwaite. It opened as the New Hotel in November 1891 and later became the New Palace Hotel, then Reid's Palace or just "Reid's". The hotel was acquired by Orient-Express Hotels Ltd., which changed its name to Belmond Ltd. on 10 March 2014. At that time the hotel changed its name to Belmond Reid's Palace.
The pioneer colour photographer Sarah Angelina Acland (1849–1930) stayed at the hotel during the early 20th century and took many photographs in and around the location of the hotel. The hotel had a darkroom for use by guests.
Famous guests over the years have included General Fulgencio Batista, Winston Churchill, Anthony Eden, David Lloyd George, deposed emperor Karl von Habsburg, Roger Moore, Gregory Peck, the poet Rainer Maria Rilke, the missionary Albert Schweitzer, and dramatist George Bernard Shaw.
- Denby, Elaine (1998). Grand Hotels: Reality & Illusion; An Architectural and Social History. Reaktion Books. p. 183. ISBN 978-1861891211.
- Gubler, Fritz (2008). "Getting Away from it All: Reid's Hotel". Great, Grand & Famous Hotels. Great, Grand & Famous Hotels. p. 183. ISBN 978-0980466706.
- Luckhurst, Gerald (2010). "25: Reid's Palace Hotel". The Gardens Of Madeira. Frances Lincoln. pp. 148–157. ISBN 978-0711230323.
- Rice, Christopher; Rice, Melanie (2005). "Reid's Palace Hotel". Madeira. Globetrotter Travel Guides (2nd ed.). New Holland Publishers. p. 155. ISBN 978-1845372361.
- Hudson, Giles (2012). Sarah Angelina Acland: First Lady of Colour Photography. Oxford: Bodleian Library, University of Oxford. pp. 248–249. ISBN 978 1 85124 372 3.
- "Madeira: Coming late to the first tea", 17 Sept 2001. Accessed 15 August 2014
- "Guide to Madeira", Conde Nast Traveller Accessed 15 August 2014
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Reid's Palace Hotel.|