Reimund Neugebauer (born 27 June 1953 in Esperstedt am Kyffhäuser) is a German mechanical engineer and professor who has been working in the field of machine tools and forming processes. On October 1, 2012, he took office as the tenth President of the Fraunhofer Society, the largest research organization in Europe, from his predecessor Hans-Jörg Bullinger.
Reimund Neugebauer graduated in 1979 from the Dresden University of Technology (TU Dresden) with a degree in Machine Tool Design. From 1979 until 1984 he was a scientific associate and a senior scientific assistant at the TU Dresden, where he received his doctorate in 1984 and habilitated in 1989.
After the founding of the Fraunhofer Institute for Machine Tools and Forming Technology IWU in 1992 he became one of the Managing Directors. After the departure of Rolf Umbach in 1994 he was appointed as the sole managing director of Fraunhofer IWU. He held this position for 21 years, until September 2012.
In 1993 he became Chair of the Department of Machine Tools at the Chemnitz University of Technology and since 2000 he has been the Managing Director of the Chemnitz University’s Institute for Machine Tools and Production Processes. On October 1, 2012, he took office as the tenth President of the Fraunhofer Society, the largest research organization in Europe, from Hans-Jörg Bullinger.
Neugebauer is a Fellow of the International Academy for Production Engineering (CIRP) and a member of German Academy of Science and Engineering (acatech). From 2010 to 2011 he was the acting president of the German Academic Society for Production Engineering (WGP). Since 2015, he has been serving as a member of the European Commission’s High-level Group of Personalities on Defence Research chaired by Elżbieta Bieńkowska.
Awards and honours
- Officer's Cross of the Order of Merit of the Federal Republic of Germany (Verdienstkreuz 1. Klasse des Verdienstordens der Bundesrepublik Deutschland) (2005)
- Honorary doctorate awarded by the University of Technology, Munich (2012)
- Order of Merit (Verdienstorden) of the German State of Saxony (2012)
- Honorary doctorate awarded by the Stellenbosch University, South Africa (2013)
- Honorary doctorate awarded by the Czech Technical University in Prague (2014) 
- Erich Siebel Medal, bestowed by the European Research Association for Sheet Metal Working (2014)
- Press release by Fraunhofer-Gesellschaft, October 01, 2012 Professor Reimund Neugebauer takes office as new President of the Fraunhofer-Gesellschaft Oct 01, 2012
- Simon Taylor (March 30, 2015), High-level group of personalities on defence research European Voice.
- Press release, TU Chemnitz, November 14, 2005 Officer's Cross of the Order of Merit of the Federal Republic of Germany for Chemnitz Scientist
- Press release, TU Munich, September 13, 2012 Honorary doctorate for Reimund Neugebauer
- Press release, Saxon State Chancellery, September 20, 2012 Honorary doctorate for Reimund Neugebauer
- Graduation ceremony, Stellenbosch University, December 13, 2013 President of the Fraunhofer-Gesellschaft receives honorary doctorate by the Stellenbosch University, South Africa January 21, 2014
- Press release by Fraunhofer-Gesellschaft, January 21, 2014 President of the Fraunhofer-Gesellschaft receives honorary doctorate from Czech Technical University in Prague January 21, 2014
- Press release by European Research Association for Sheet Metal Working, January 21, 2014 Awarding of the Erich-Siebel-Medal
- Biography at www.fraunhofer.de