After his vocal studies at the conservatory of music "Carl Maria von Weber" in Dresden, Goldberg made his debut 1967 in the Saxon Theatre (Sächsische Landesbühne) in Radebeul. A further station was the Sächsische Staatskapelle Dresden in 1973. In 1981, the tenor became a member of the Berlin State Opera ensemble.
At the beginning of the 1980s, Goldberg sang the important tenor parts of operas by Richard Wagner in nearly all leading opera houses in Europe and worldwide.
Among them were Tannhäuser at the Vienna State Opera and Bavarian State Opera Munich, Erik (Der fliegende Holländer) at the Salzburg Easter Festival 1982 and 1983 conducted by Herbert von Karajan and the Bayreuther Festspiele 1990, 1991, and 1994 under Giuseppe Sinopoli, Florestan, Siegfried and Tannhäuser at the Metropolitan Opera and as Max (Der Freischütz) in the Zurich Opera.
In concert, he sang in Beethoven's Ninth Symphony (Lucerne and Edinburgh) under Claudio Abbado. In 1995, Goldberg received the Special Music Award for the title role of Aron in a live recording of Schoenberg's Moses und Aron with the Tokyo Symphony under Maestro Kazuyoshi Akiyama at Suntory Hall in Tokyo.
- L. van Beethoven: 9th Symphony/Brilliant Classic 1974/ Gewandhaus Orchestra conducted by Kurt Masur/ Soloists: R. Goldberg a.o.
- A. Schönberg: Moses und Aron/ 1976/Rundfunk-Sinfonie-Orchestra Leipzig conducted by Herbert Kegel / Soloists: Werner Haseleu, Reiner Goldberg
- R.Wagner: Parsifal / Erato 1982/ Monte Carlo Orchestra under Armin Jordan/ Soloists: R. Goldberg, W. Schöne, R. Lloyd, Y. Minton
- R.Strauss: Daphne/ EMI 1983, 1988/ Bayerischer Rundfunk Orchestra under Bernard Haitink/ Soloists: Lucia Popp, Reiner Goldberg, Kurt Moll
- R.Strauss: Guntram / Hungaroton 1985 /Hungarian State Orchestra under Eve Queller/ Soloists: Reiner Goldberg, Ilona Tokody, István Gáti
- R.Wagner:Die Walküre/ EMI 1988/ Bayrischer Rundfunk Orchestra under Bernard Haitink/ Soloist: R. Goldberg, Eva Marton, Cheryl Studer, Waltraud Meier, James Morris
- R. Wagner: Siegfried / Deutsche Grammophon 1991/ Metropolitan Opera Orchestra under James Levine/ Soloists: Reiner Goldberg, James Morris, Hildegard Behrens
- R. Wagner: Götterdämmerung/ Deutsche Grammophon 1991/ Metropolitan Opera Orchestra under James Levine/ Soloists: Reiner Goldberg, Hanna Schwarz, Hildegard Behrens/ This record received the Grammy Award 1992
- Forbes, Elizabeth, "Goldberg, Reiner", Grove Music Online ed. L. Macy. Accessed 19 October 2009, (subscription access)
|This article about a German opera singer is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|