Diagrammatic longitudinal section of the cochlea. (label is 'vestibular membrane')
Cross section of the cochlea.
|Latin||paries vestibularis ductus cochlearis|
Reissner's membrane (vestibular membrane, vestibular wall) is a membrane inside the cochlea of the inner ear. It separates scala media from scala vestibuli. Together with the basilar membrane it creates a compartment in the cochlea filled with endolymph, which is important for the function of the organ of Corti. It primarily functions as a diffusion barrier, allowing nutrients to travel from the perilymph to the endolymph of the membranous labyrinth.
- vestibular+membrane at eMedicine Dictionary
- Histology at KUMC eye_ear-ear03
- UIUC Histology Subject 76
- Overview at University of Wisconsin–Madison
- Image at University of New England, Maine