Relaxation stands quite generally for a release of tension, a return to equilibrium.
In the sciences, the term is used in the following ways:
- Relaxation (physics), and more in particular:
- Relaxation (NMR), processes by which nuclear magnetization returns to the equilibrium distribution
- Dielectric relaxation, the delay in the dielectric constant of a material
- Vibrational energy relaxation, the process by which molecules in high energy quantum states return to the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution
- Chemical relaxation methods, related to temperature jump
- Relaxation oscillator, a type of electronic oscillator
In computer science:
- Relaxation (computing), the act of substituting alternative program code during linking
- Relaxation (psychology), the emotional state of low tension
- Relaxation technique, an activity that helps a person to relax
- Relaxation can induced using breathing techniques. Long exhalation creates a relaxed pose. Making the temple of head and the upper lips relaxed helps keep a relaxed state.
In ecclesiastical law:
- relaxation in person, transfer of a condemned person so that secular authorities execute a death sentence