|Type||Non-operating private foundation|
|Focus||Education, Healthcare, Ending poverty|
|Method||Donations and Grants|
|Owner||Mukesh Ambani and Nita Ambani|
|Mukesh Ambani, chairperson Nita Ambani|
|Dhirubhai Ambani Foundation|
Reliance Foundation, founded in 2010, is the philanthropic foundation of Reliance Industries Limited and one of the largest private foundations in India. Its objective is to promote sustainable growth in India.
Purpose and activities
- Rural transformation. The Bharat-India Jodo is a programme for marginal farmers, and the Foundation also has information service programmes bringing technical expertise to 1,400 farming and fishing villages.
- Education. The Foundation grants scholarships under the Dhirubhai Ambani Scholarship Programme, which started in Maharashtra and Gujarat in 1996 and was extended nationwide in 2009. It also supports 13 schools, including the Dhirubhai Ambani International School, and establishes universities in partnership with the London School of Economics.
- Health. The Foundation sponsors the Drishti programme, which provides newspapers in Braille for the blind and the country's largest cornea transplant programme, and is developing the Sir HN Reliance Foundation Hospital and Research Centre.
- Urban renewal. The Foundation took over development of Goda Park in Nashik after funding problems had delayed it, and in partnership with NASSCOM is underwriting a social media lab for Mumbai Police to improve involvement of residents in improving safety and security.
- Arts, culture and heritage. The Foundation sponsors events celebrating and continuing the cultural heritage of India, such as Ustad Zakir Hussain's annual concert in memory of his father, Abbaji, and the Elephanta Festival on Elephanta Island in Mumbai, and also in 2012 co-sponsored with BP the Mummy: The Inside Story visiting exhibition from the British Museum.
The Foundation also works with other philanthropies and NGOs on collaborative initiatives, for example in 2012 partnering with the television show Satyamev Jayate to provide a grant to Muktangan Rehabilitation Centre in Mumbai to help street children.
- Reliance Foundation, retrieved 9 July 2014.
- "LSE, Reliance Foundation to set up universities in India". The Economic Times. PTI. 16 October 2010.
- "Dhirubhai Ambani Foundation felicitates 62 SSC, HSC toppers". The Times of India. TNN. 4 December 2010.
- Ambani, Mukesh (18 June 2014). "Reliance, an enduring growth Saga: Chairman Mukesh Ambani’s Statement on Fortieth Annual General Meeting (Thirty Seventh since Reliance became a listed company)". indiainfoline.com.
- "Annual Report 2012–13" (pdf). Reliance Industries Limited. 2013. p. 8 (pdf p. 10).
- "Nita Ambani joins RIL board". Business Standard. IANS. 18 June 2014.
- "Reliance Foundation gives scholarships to students". The Economic Times. PTI. 22 January 2014. Retrieved 9 July 2014.
- "Reliance Foundation launches Braille newspaper with Real Hero Swagat Thorat". IBN Live (India) (CNN-IBN). 20 March 2012. Retrieved 9 July 2014.
- "Goda park project to be developed by Reliance Foundation". The Economic Times. PTI. 20 September 2013.
- "Mumbai: Police starts its social media lab to engage with public". IBN Live (India). PTI. 17 March 2013.
- Panigrahi, Ipsitaa (10 July 2014). "The many moods of Ustad Zakir Hussain". The Asian Age.
- "Arts, Culture & Heritage". Reliance Foundation. Retrieved 9 July 2014.
- "Mummy: The Inside Story". Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Vastu Sangrahalaya. 2012. Retrieved 9 July 2014.
- "Aamir's Satyamev Jayate helps de-addiction centre get funds". NDTV. 10 July 2012.