|Type||Non-operating private foundation|
|Focus||Education, Healthcare, Ending poverty|
|Method||Donations and Grants|
|Owner||Mukesh Ambani and Nita Ambani|
|Mukesh Ambani, chairperson Nita Ambani|
|Dhirubhai Ambani Foundation|
Reliance Foundation, founded in 2010, is the philanthropic foundation of Reliance Industries Limited and one of the largest private foundations in India. Its objective is to promote sustainable growth in India.
Purpose and activities
- Rural transformation. The Bharat-India Jodo is a programme for marginal farmers, and the Foundation also has information service programmes bringing technical expertise to 1,400 farming and fishing villages.
- Education. The Foundation grants scholarships under the Dhirubhai Ambani Scholarship Programme, which started in Maharashtra and Gujarat in 1996 and was extended nationwide in 2009. It also supports 13 schools, including the Dhirubhai Ambani International School, and establishes universities in partnership with the London School of Economics.
- Health. The Foundation sponsors the Drishti programme, which provides newspapers in Braille for the blind and the country's largest cornea transplant programme, and is developing the Sir HN Reliance Foundation Hospital and Research Centre.
- Urban renewal. The Foundation took over development of Goda Park in Nashik after funding problems had delayed it, and in partnership with NASSCOM is underwriting a social media lab for Mumbai Police to improve involvement of residents in improving safety and security.
- Arts, culture and heritage. The Foundation sponsors events celebrating and continuing the cultural heritage of India, such as Ustad Zakir Hussain's annual concert in memory of his father, Abbaji, and the Elephanta Festival on Elephanta Island in Mumbai, and also in 2012 co-sponsored with BP the Mummy: The Inside Story visiting exhibition from the British Museum. In February 2016, Reliance Foundation Drishti organized a nationwide arts and essay competition which also involved visually impaired participants. The winning entries were sent out through printed literature.
The Foundation also works with other philanthropies and NGOs on collaborative initiatives, for example in 2012 partnering with the television show Satyamev Jayate to provide a grant to Muktangan Rehabilitation Centre in Mumbai to help street children.
- "The Reliance Foundation, founded by Nita in 2010". Forbes. 22 February 2017.
- "LSE, Reliance Foundation to set up universities in India". The Economic Times. PTI. 16 October 2010.
- "Dhirubhai Ambani Foundation felicitates 62 SSC, HSC toppers". The Times of India. TNN. 4 December 2010.
- "through Reliance Foundation, the philanthropic arm to promote sustainable growth in India". The Hindu. 22 February 2017.
- "Annual Report 2012–13" (pdf). Reliance Industries Limited. 2013. p. 8 (pdf p. 10).
- "Nita Ambani joins RIL board". Business Standard. IANS. 18 June 2014.
- "Reliance Foundation gives scholarships to students". The Economic Times. PTI. 22 January 2014. Retrieved 9 July 2014.
- "The country's first national Hindi periodical in the Braille script was launched on Monday in Mumbai. Reliance Drishti, a fortnightly, was launched by corporate czar Mukesh Ambani's wife Nita, who heads the Reliance Foundation, which is funding the venture.". DNA India. 28 February 2017.
- "Goda park project to be developed by Reliance Foundation". The Economic Times. PTI. 20 September 2013.
- "Reliance Foundation has supported this initiative as Program Partner". Nasscom. 27 February 2017.
- Panigrahi, Ipsitaa (10 July 2014). "The many moods of Ustad Zakir Hussain". The Asian Age.
- "Reliance Foundation pledges support to Pichavai art". The Times of India. Retrieved 1 March 2017.
- ""Mummy: The Inside Story". It is the first time that this travelling exhibition has come to India, for which Sabyasachi Mukherjee, Director General, CSMVS, thanks the British Museum, British Petroleum (BP) and Reliance Foundation for their support.". The Hindu. Retrieved 1 March 2017.
- RF Drishti Art & Essay Competition Award Ceremony, Reliance Foundation Website, 16 February 2016, retrieved 4 March 2016
- Smt. Nita Ambani: You have not just won a competition, you have gifted beauty to the world, YouTube, 18 February 2016, retrieved 4 March 2016
- "Aamir's Satyamev Jayate helps de-addiction centre get funds". NDTV. 10 July 2012.