|Headquarters||Reliance Industries Limited, Nariman Point, Mumbai, India|
Number of locations
|3,383 stores retail stores across 679 cities (June 2016)|
|Mukesh Ambani (Chairman and MD)
Damodar Mall (CEO)
Shawn Gray (COO)
Akash Ambani (Director)
|Revenue||₹216.12 billion (US$3.2 billion) (2016)|
|₹5.08 billion (US$75 million)|
|Parent||Reliance Industries Limited|
|Divisions||Reliance Fresh, Reliance Digital|
Reliance Retail Ltd. is a subsidiary company of Reliance Industries. Founded in 2006 and based in Mumbai, it is the largest retailer in India in terms of revenue. Its retail outlets offer foods, groceries, apparel and footwear, lifestyle and home improvement products, electronic goods, and farm implements and inputs. The company’s outlets also provide vegetables, fruits and flowers. It focuses on consumer goods, consumer durables, travel services, energy, entertainment and leisure, and health and well-being products, as well as on educational products and services.
It has a total of 3,383 stores as of June 2016 in India with an area of over 13 million square feet across 210 cities.
It had a turnover of Rs.216 billion in the financial year 2015-16. Approx. 56 per cent of this revenue came from its 'value and other' segment that operates grocery chains Reliance Fresh, Reliance Super and Reliance Hyper.
Reliance Retail has announced revenues of Rs. 66.66 billion for the first quarter of 2016, showing 45% jump from 2015. The company also reported operating profit of Rs. 240 million for the same quarter. Reliance reported quarterly profit of Rs. 198 million in the corresponding period of the previous year registering a jump of 21.2 per cent.
Subsidiaries & divisions
There are over 45 Subsidiaries & divisions of Reliance Retail. Following is the list of major divisions:
- Reliance Fresh: Retail outlets of fruits, vegetables & groceries.
- Reliance Digital: Consumer Electronics retail stores. It had 689 stores in October 2014.
- Reliance LYF: 4G mobile handset manufacturer based in Mumbai, founded in 2015.
- Reliance Jewels: Jewelry retail; it had revenues of approx. Rs. 8 billion in financial year 2012-13.
- Reliance Time Out: Lifestyle store of Books, Music, Movies, Toys, Gaming, Fragrances, Stationery.
- Reliance Trends, Reliance Footprint and Reliance Living: Apparel and Clothing. It had revenues of approx. Rs. 16 billion in financial year 2012-13 with a store count of 287
- Reliance Market, Reliance market - Wholesale cash n Carry: It had revenues of approx. Rs. 1.6 billion in financial year 2012-13.
- AJIO: One of the company’s first forays into e-commerce – a fashion website, officially launched at the Lakme Fashion Week SS16 with the philosophy ‘Doubt is Out’.
- "Reliance Retail rejig: Ex-Walmart China execs Cissell & Gray to join as CEO & COO". Economic Times. 4 July 2011. Retrieved 27 August 2013.
- "Ambani tops retailer list, too". Business Standard. Retrieved 19 Aug 2013.
- "Subsidiaries of Reliance Retail Limited". ril.com. Retrieved 27 August 2013.
- "Few RIL retail arms still making losses". Business Standard. 11 May 2013. Retrieved 27 August 2013.
- "Reliance Retail's growth trail". The Hindu Businessline. 31 July 2013. Retrieved 19 August 2013.
- "Fashion Has A New Destination – AJIO.com". sassyshifsays.in. 4 Apr 2016. Retrieved 4 April 2016.