14 February 1930|
Zagreb, Kingdom of Yugoslavia, (now Croatia)
|Died||7 April 2017
|Relatives||Elly (née Lerch) Bašić (mother)
Mladen Bašić (stepfather)
Nina and Nika (daughters)
Relja Bašić (14 February 1930 – 7 April 2017) was a Croatian actor, one of the most prolific and versatile Croatian actors with a career which lasted for more than half a century.
Bašić was born on 14 February 1930 in Zagreb, at the time of Kingdom of Yugoslavia. He was born to a Jewish mother Elly (née Lerch) Bašić. Bašić was raised by his mother and stephfather Mladen Bašić. He first appeared on screen in 1954 classic film Koncert. Through the decades, he played many different roles in many different films, often in international co-productions. He never became a star, but remained one of the most recognisable and dependable character actors. His specialty were the roles of suave aristocratic villains, especially in historic films dealing with World War II, but his best remembered role is Mr. Fulir in 1970 cult musical comedy Tko pjeva zlo ne misli.
In the 1990s, Bašić was an enthusiastic supporter of the Croatian Social Liberal Party. During 1992 parliamentary elections he appeared as that party's candidate in one of Zagreb constituencies. He lost that race to Nedjeljko Mihanović of HDZ in controversial circumstances. A few months later, on elections for upper House of Croatian Parliament, he won the seat representing City of Zagreb.
|1955||Millions on the Island||Žuti/Štakor|
|1956||Pulverschnee nach Übersee|
|1957||Sand, Love and Salt||Innkeeper|
|1960||The Battle of Austerlitz||Soldier||uncredited|
|1961||The Seven Revenges|
|1961||Le goût de la violence|
|1962||Il capitano di ferro|
|1965||Covik od svita|
|1968||I Have Two Mothers and Two Fathers|
|1970||One Song a Day Takes Mischief Away||Mr. Ernest Fulir|
|1973||Sutjeska||Capt. William Stewart|
|1976||The Rat Savior||Mayor|
- Snješka Knežević (2011, p. 106)
- "Holocaust Survivors and Victims Database: Relja Basic". United States Holocaust Memorial Museum. Retrieved 2013-02-08.
- "Odluka o odlikovanju Relje Bašića Redom Danice hrvatske s likom Marka Marulića". Narodne novine (in Croatian) (94/1995). Retrieved 2012-11-27.
- "Bai, Relja". UNESCO. Archived from the original on 12 September 2006. Retrieved 2017-04-08.
- Čulić, Ivana (8 April 2017). "U 88. godini života preminuo je glumac Relja Bašić". tportal.hr (in Croatian). Retrieved 2017-04-08.
- "UMRO Relja Bašić Legendarni glumac preminuo u 87. godini". Jutarnji Kultura (in Croatian). 8 April 2017. Retrieved 2017-04-08.
- "Preminuo glumac Relja Bašić". Dnevnik.hr (in Croatian). 8 April 2017. Retrieved 2017-04-08.
- Relja Bašić at the Internet Movie Database
- "Filmografija Relje Bašića" [Relja Bašić's Filmography] (PDF). Hrvatski filmski ljetopis (in Croatian) (9): 97–101. April 1997. Retrieved 12 November 2014.
- Bašić's best remembered role is Mr. Fulir in 1970 cult musical comedy Tko pjeva zlo ne misli (One Song a Day Takes Mischief Away)
- Bašić died at the age of 88